Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Fishes (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   who has sunburst anthias? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1127989)

gsoaxionsk8 05/24/2007 06:05 PM

who has sunburst anthias?

A guy at my LFS told me they dont like strong light such as MH. Is there any truth to this?

crazyguy34834 05/25/2007 02:04 AM

I have heard that before but just put it where it won't get too much light. It doesn't mean you can't get it. I want some so bad, I refused to buy them because they need feeding every day and it is usually when the lights are out I have heard. There have been sucess with squirting the quice from food over the coral before you are ready to feed it so it opens before you go to bed.

Jasonincuritiba 05/25/2007 11:28 AM

We have one in the Acro tank where I work, it does hide in the rock work most of the time but does come out to eat when we feed (lights are on during this time)

iamwhatiam52 05/25/2007 11:13 PM

My pair hid for most of the first two weeks but are now out most of the day under 150 watt halides.
At NIGHT they hide.
Picky eaters, won't eat dried foods. Try cyclopeez and frozen mysids at first.
THEY LOVE TO SNATCH THEIR FOOD FROM A SWIFT CURRENT

Kennyboy1984 05/26/2007 02:12 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10011612#post10011612 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crazyguy34834 [/i]
[B]I have heard that before but just put it where it won't get too much light. It doesn't mean you can't get it. I want some so bad, I refused to buy them because they need feeding every day and it is usually when the lights are out I have heard. There have been sucess with squirting the quice from food over the coral before you are ready to feed it so it opens before you go to bed. [/B][/QUOTE]

Uh. I think he is talking about the fish and not the coral you are thinking of. A sunburst anthias is a fish. Sun coral is what you are probably talking about?

gsoaxionsk8 05/26/2007 02:40 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10020077#post10020077 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kennyboy1984 [/i]
[B]Uh. I think he is talking about the fish and not the coral you are thinking of. A sunburst anthias is a fish. Sun coral is what you are probably talking about? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah i wasnt quite sure what he was talking about. It doenst really matter where you put a fish, inevitably it will move to the spot it wants to go

nu_beta_2016 05/26/2007 11:39 PM

Your LFS may have told you that they don't like halides for one of two reasons. First, sunburst are a deepwater species to begin with so their natural location has less light than most of the reef fish we know and love. Secondly, they hide in caves even at the depths that they normally inhabit, so a really bright tank is a bit unnatural. That being said, these fish would probably seek cover in a low light tank just as much as they would in a bright tank...so it's probably not an issue as long as you've got a cave or two.

wcpeixoto 06/09/2007 02:37 PM

I have one under 250W HQI and it doens´t seem to care at all.