Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Jersey Reefer's Club (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   berghia? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1285642)

bkiba 01/04/2008 09:11 AM

berghia?

Does anyone have experience with these nudis? I've read they can desimate aptasia. I have a horde of aps now and I can't control them with joe's juice or other methods.

I also have a lot of zoas so obviously I'm worried about adding nudis to the system. Please let me know what success or not you've had with them. And Also if anyone has some to spare.

thanks!

coralnut99 01/04/2008 11:17 AM

I've tried twice. The bottom line is they won't survive in a full blown reef settup with "predators" such as hermits, shrimp, and even copepods for very long. And the doesn't even account for mechanical fatalities like powerheads and such. True peppermints left to eat only Aips work best. If you want to try Berghia, they need a separate system / tank set aside for moving infested rock into, and remove the berghia before bringing the rock back to the display. Not fun or practical.

wobbegong 01/04/2008 12:07 PM

I Agree w/ Coralnut.. True Peppermints Are The Way To Go .. You may wanna scrap off and syphon any large aiptasia once you add the peppermints , they seem to skip over them if they are alittle on the big side..

coralnut99 01/04/2008 12:27 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11519467#post11519467 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wobbegong [/i]
[B]I Agree w/ Coralnut.. True Peppermints Are The Way To Go .. You may wanna scrap off and syphon any large aiptasia once you add the peppermints , they seem to skip over them if they are alittle on the big side.. [/B][/QUOTE]

If your feeding regimen is such that there isn't a whole lot for peps to get hold of, and stay a little on the hungry side, there's no limit of what they'll take down. I have peps in one part of my prop system. There's only a few small fish that eat their mysis way before it hits the bottom. I take rocks with Aips from my displays and move them into that tank when the rock is small enough. Clean as a whistle in two days or less. If I wasn't so fond of the anthias in my displays, I wouldn't have to go through this, but nothing is easy in this hobby.

bkiba 01/04/2008 05:10 PM

Maybe i'll give the peps a try. The food I feed is typically cyclopeeze and then every once in a while they get sushi roe (1 once a month or less). The peps won't harm anything else?? I have frogspawn and hammer, and two RBTAs and some SPS. Lots of zoas though. Just 3 fish at this point a small striped goby, royal gramma, and a false perc

coralnut99 01/04/2008 05:30 PM

cyclopeeze is great aptasia food. Try the peps and hold back on the cyclopeeze until they get them under control. Try frozen mysis for the fish. Hikari cubes are very clean and smaller in size than most. Your corals will be fine without the cyclopeeze.

smcooler 01/04/2008 08:05 PM

try a cpperband, mine has completly cleened them out.

sm

if you want to trde some of those zoa's for sps stop by.

stan

bobafett 01/07/2008 02:41 PM

I use a copperband in the tank and peppermints in the sump. The copperbands never touch my zoos but one of them did like to pick at LPS. The problem is that a heavily infested tank will have aiptasia in many hidden places where copperbands or peppermints can't get to them (like in tubing, overflows, between tightly packed rock). I notice that I can "get rid of" aiptasia for several months but within three weeks of the peppermints or copperbands being out of the system, the aiptasia is back.