Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Do It Yourself (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Auto Top-Off Schematic? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=815859)

fio1022 04/02/2006 07:22 PM

Auto Top-Off Schematic?

I'm looking for a schematic for an auto top off system I'm trying to build.I have two float switches and a relay,not sure how to hook it up.
I want to have the lower float set(min.level) to energize a relay coil and a upper float set(max.level) to de-energize the relay coil.
What i don't understand is when the lower float drops, the contacts close and it energizes the coil.As the float starts to rise its going to open the contacts so how is the upper float ever going to come into play?
I'm thinking a second relay but kind of confused about it.
Any suggestions or ideas how to do this?

30mini 04/02/2006 07:56 PM

Why not use the second float switch in your reservior so that when it gets too low, the pump wont turn on at all?

Qwiv 04/02/2006 08:17 PM

You cannot do what you are discribing with a simple relay. You would need to creat a logic board to accomplish what you are discribing. Use the second floatswitch as a back-up.

chrisguy 04/02/2006 08:26 PM

In my experience, a float switch typically moves almost 1/4" so it does cover the low and high functions. As others stated, your best option is to use the second float switch as a backup, mounted higer of course.

I have a couple schematics in my gallery.

BeanAnimal 04/02/2006 10:39 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7097609#post7097609 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Qwiv [/i]
[B]You cannot do what you are discribing with a simple relay. You would need to creat a logic board to accomplish what you are discribing. Use the second floatswitch as a back-up. [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually this can be done with a simple relay and 2 float switches. Many of us a simple "latching" circuit to run our top-offs.

The circuit is called a "latching relay circuit" and does not need any type of logic or other components (maybe a diode to protect the relay coil from iductive spikes).

A search here or on google will provide you with plenty of examples. If you still need help let us know. (This question gets asked quite a bit)

fio1022 04/03/2006 04:52 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7097456#post7097456 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 30mini [/i]
[B]Why not use the second float switch in your reservior so that when it gets too low, the pump wont turn on at all? [/B][/QUOTE]

I have that set up now.I'm looking to eliminate the drip reservior and go with a small dosing pump triggered dy the relay.The dripper gets clogged all the time and is getting to be a pain.

Qwiv 04/03/2006 04:17 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7098665#post7098665 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal [/i]
[B]Actually this can be done with a simple relay and 2 float switches. Many of us a simple "latching" circuit to run our top-offs.

The circuit is called a "latching relay circuit" and does not need any type of logic or other components (maybe a diode to protect the relay coil from iductive spikes).

A search here or on google will provide you with plenty of examples. If you still need help let us know. (This question gets asked quite a bit) [/B][/QUOTE]

Um, that was what I was saying. I am old school. A circuit = logic board, unless your circuit contains no logic, in which case it doesn't work.

BeanAnimal 04/03/2006 05:24 PM

I guess I never considered a single latched relay and 2 switches as "logic" when compared to a the same relay and and 2 series switches.

In other words the only difference is the way the wires are attached to the relay and switches. Your response made it sound like "extra stuff" was needed to make such a setup work (I.E. a "logic board"). I simply wanted to make it clear that the same relay and float switches mentioned by the OP could be easily wired into a latch type setup where the bottom float starts the fill procedure and the top float stops it.

aaronpentz 04/03/2006 05:46 PM

Do you know if your float switches are normaly open or normaly closed contacts?

fio1022 04/03/2006 05:49 PM

OK,so I figured out how to wire it to be a latching relay.I knew as a "seal in circuit"but that sparked my memory.
Now that I have that figured out ,I have to decide on a pump.I was thinking of going with Aqua Medic SP 3000 Dosing Pump.I read somewhere that it may pump to fast to use with limewater.
Can anyone back this statement or recommend it.It pumps at a rate of .8gal/hour.

BeanAnimal 04/03/2006 05:56 PM

I use a solenoid and gravity :) I top-off with RO/DI and dose DIY 2-part. The dosing setup is independent of the top-off and sump level.

douggiestyle 04/03/2006 06:54 PM

i use this set up
ro/di>>solenoid>>kalk reactor>>tank

all running on 12vdc.

--hey bean i found a use for all my ro/di waste water, the fish pond.--
hopefully no more hose.

BeanAnimal 04/03/2006 07:01 PM

I have tapped into the float switch on the washer for now, but will soon have the new model maytag neptune and don't think she will be okay with me hacking into it for a few years.

BruiseAndy 04/03/2006 09:38 PM

here
(ignore the third float which i use as a safety)

[img]http://members.aol.com/andybg8000/schematic.jpg[/img]

BeanAnimal 04/03/2006 09:49 PM

I get a chill every time I see that ladder diagram... I wonder what kind of hoops an old school otis elevator tech must have had to think through!

joedirt54 04/03/2006 10:43 PM

I just got a two switch DIY system with relay and I'm going to run one as the main float and use the other as a back-up high water switch. I think I'm going to buy another set to power a led(to warn me switch two is running the tank) and another led to warn me when the supply tank is low.

fio1022 04/04/2006 06:34 AM

Thanks for the diagram.It's what I had in mind.
Whats the purpose of the pump relay?Couldn't the n/o contacts work the pump by itself?

FuzzyLogic 04/04/2006 07:48 AM

Here is an old schematic by BeanAnimal.

[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b285/fingers407/latchcircuit.gif[/IMG]

Bumzyman 04/09/2006 01:24 PM

Wow, it dosen't get any easier then that.... Good job on the graphic!

fio1022 04/09/2006 09:56 PM

I could buy all the parts,fabricate and preform several test runs before I could make a drawing like that with animated graphics on the computer.
What program can do that?

FuzzyLogic 04/10/2006 07:53 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7143148#post7143148 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bumzyman [/i]
[B]Wow, it dosen't get any easier then that.... Good job on the graphic! [/B][/QUOTE]
Thanks, the actual schematic was done by BeanAnimal. This topic comes up quite a bit so Bean and several other people have explained this circuit many times. For people like me, it can be hard to wrap your head around this type schematic unless you see it in action. I thought it would be nice to animate it.

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7143148#post7143148 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fio1022 [/i]
[B]I could buy all the parts,fabricate and preform several test runs before I could make a drawing like that with animated graphics on the computer.[/B][/QUOTE]
Yep, it was time consuming. Not something I wanna do everytime I wire a relay. I used MS Paint to draw the schematic and then used a program called AdGif to animate it. I'm sure there's a more graceful way of doing it.

Qwiv 04/10/2006 01:03 PM

What is the purpose of the diode?

BeanAnimal 04/10/2006 01:22 PM

The diode is to help abosrb the back emf (inductive kick) that occurs when the relay field colapses. This will help protect the delicate reed switch in the float assembly.

Explanation:
When the power is removed from the relay, the armature is quickly shoved back through the bobbin (the coil) by the return spring. This action produces electricity. In addition the relay bobbin and armature are saturated with electrons that are released when the electromagnetic field colapses.

Any small 2n series should work.

For those interesed:
There are many relay coil supression methods... this is one will work well for our purposes. You should not that ANY supression slows down (dampens) the field collapse and therfore slows down the movement of the relay. This in turn can cause arcing at the relay contacts. This should not be a problem in our application... but HIGH VOLTAGE HIGH CURRENT applications can be affected. In those cases stronger relay springs, contact configurations and other suppression menas should be explored.

Bean

Qwiv 04/10/2006 02:18 PM

thx

fio1022 04/11/2006 07:18 PM

If the diode is not added as shown will the float switches eventually fail?