Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   LPS Keepers (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=332)
-   -   Just bought first scoly...how to acclimate? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265700)

Canarygirl 12/06/2007 02:09 PM

Just bought first scoly...how to acclimate?

Hey there,

I just snatched up my first scoly yesterday:

[IMG]http://www.reefscience.com/images/corals/1205/DSCF0097t.JPG[/IMG] (This photo's taken from ReefScience website, where I bought it.)

Should I acclimate him like I do an SPS frag? 30-60 minute tank-water drip with 5 minutes of SeaChem Reef Dip (iodine) towards the end?

Salmonking 12/06/2007 09:50 PM

scolly

I just throw them in.Never had a problem

RobynT 12/06/2007 10:31 PM

That is one pretty Scoly! Be sure and post pics when you can, I love that one!

RobynT 12/06/2007 10:31 PM

That is one pretty Scoly! Be sure and post pics when you can, I love that one!

Canarygirl 12/07/2007 12:04 AM

Thanks! He is awesome, isn't he? I was pretty thrilled to find him...I kept thinking, "This must be sold. This isn't sold? It's not sold!" :lol:

Canarygirl 12/10/2007 12:51 PM

Well, this scoly arrived on Friday afternoon and there are a couple of issues with it.

First of all, there is no red or navy blue anywhere on this coral. What looks like red in the photo is actually orange, and what looks like navy blue in the photo is actually brown on the coral. Do you think there's any natural explanation for this (other than the picture being photoshopped, that is). THe coral is under 14K in my tank.

Second issue is that it hasn't really expanded into its skeleton very well. In the mornings I see the skeleton sticking out all around like spokes on a wheel. It will later expand a bit but only to a width of maybe 3" and it's supposed to be 4-5" according to the website.

Thanks for your input on this...I don't know if I should be upset with the vendor or not, you know? But I wouldn't have bought it if I knew it had no red or blue on it. :(

gastone 12/10/2007 01:57 PM

Sorry to hear that you are disappointed. Try turning off the pumps and looking at it from above. IME scolys look equally good through the glass as from above... this could be the exception to the rule. I think reefscience uses 20k EVC (I could be wrong). If so, they have a huge spike at 450nm probably explaining why what may look brown in yours looks blue in theirs.

As for recession keep it in a fairly low flow area, hopefully it will expand in a few days. Perhaps try feeding it with the pumps off. Something meaty.

Good luck.

Garrett.

lhoy 12/11/2007 11:43 AM

They should be on the bottom of the tank, do not put on rock as they are not found like that in the wild. Keep in moderate to low flow and same for lighting. If flow is too strong, it won't open up as well. Try sliding just under a ledge or such to lower lighting on it as well. Trachy's and Scoly's do best in such settings. See Borneman's book on corals for where corals are found in natural locations and then place accordingly.

Problem with ordering off websites is you never know the bulbs they are shot under and how different that can make a coral look.

Lee

Canarygirl 12/11/2007 12:39 PM

Hi there

As it happens I did place the scoly on a rock (at the bottom of my tank) because I have an eyelash blenny that has a tendency to bury things in sand with his digging activities. Do you think it's better or worse for a scoly to be on a rock as opposed to get sand dumped on it fairly regularly?

[QUOTE]Problem with ordering off websites is you never know the bulbs they are shot under and how different that can make a coral look.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well even their written description of this coral said Red/Blue/Green/Orange so, um, the plot thickens. Not that they are communicating with me anymore since the transaction completed...:rolleyes:

invincible569 12/15/2007 11:03 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11354036#post11354036 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Canarygirl [/i]
[B]Well, this scoly arrived on Friday afternoon and there are a couple of issues with it.

First of all, there is no red or navy blue anywhere on this coral. What looks like red in the photo is actually orange, and what looks like navy blue in the photo is actually brown on the coral. Do you think there's any natural explanation for this (other than the picture being photoshopped, that is). THe coral is under 14K in my tank.

Second issue is that it hasn't really expanded into its skeleton very well. In the mornings I see the skeleton sticking out all around like spokes on a wheel. It will later expand a bit but only to a width of maybe 3" and it's supposed to be 4-5" according to the website.

Thanks for your input on this...I don't know if I should be upset with the vendor or not, you know? But I wouldn't have bought it if I knew it had no red or blue on it. :( [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear this. You arent the first person to complain about this vendor and false advertisement. If you ordered by CC or paypal, you can try and get your money back. Post a picture so we can compare.

seapug 12/15/2007 11:09 PM

Corals look different under different lighting and shipping can cause some fading of colors. I'd give it time to settle in and start expanding. Mine took a good week or so to start ballooning up after I put it in my tank.

SecretAgentMan 12/16/2007 12:06 AM

A little of topic but I have to say it- Seapug, you have the best avatar ever!!!!!

[SIZE=4]PUGS RULE!!!!![/SIZE]

lhoy 12/21/2007 02:34 AM

If you have sufficient flow, the sand/debris should be washed off the coral and being on bottom would be much better.

Lee

heuerfan 12/26/2007 03:07 PM

WOW, just found this thread trying to search for feedback regarding this vendor.

So sorry your scoly did not come in the way it appeared in the picture, i was jealous that it was marked sold when i placed my order. Did you contact Chad, what did he say?

I have a couple of issues with my order as well. And after speaking to a couple of people that ordered from him this is a common thing unfortunately.

Canarygirl 12/26/2007 03:35 PM

Chad stopped responding to my email after the sale was completed. This scoly was not the color or the size indicated (only 3" fully expanded, not 4-5" as advertised). Plus there is no red or blue on the coral.

I definitely feel ripped off.

Sheol 12/26/2007 03:56 PM

This is the main reason I still buy my corals at the LFS. WYSIWYG! No chance of false advertising, though colors can change under different lighting, etc.

Matthew

Canarygirl 12/26/2007 04:00 PM

I understand, mathew, although I have never had this kind of problem with any other online vendor who advertised WSIWYG. First time for everything, I guess. And I don't believe lighting is a factor in this case because I have it under 14K and there should not be that much difference between 20K and 14K to change colors completely that way. In this case I think it's called "photoshop." :rolleyes:

jc5205 12/28/2007 08:05 PM

I have not had good luck with corals from there.

Sheol 12/28/2007 09:37 PM

Yep. A little of the ol' airbrush (PC style) on this months's centerfold! LOL.
I won't buy anything ( well, I haven't yet but came close) that I haven't actually eyballed in person.

Matthew

reef211 01/04/2008 10:39 PM

Wow, very nice scoly!!

akma 01/05/2008 12:28 AM

How big do those get?

Canarygirl 01/05/2008 12:49 AM

I saw one at a local LFS that was maybe 9, 10 inches across.

GoingPostal 01/05/2008 10:44 AM

Interesting, I couldn't find any bad threads about this vendor before I ordered in Nov. and out of four corals, three are pretty much dead. He didn't send any heat packs in the box and everything was freezing but since it all looked technically alive when it got here I didn't bother with pics, it all just looked very stressed, which is normal for shipped corals. Within two days all the flesh had fallen off the skeleton of my two scolys and a bubble coral. The acans made it out great, bubble still has half left on skeleton and appears to be making a recovery but nowhere near as bright as was pictured. Scolys still have the slightest amount of flesh on them but I have my doubts. I decided I'll just stick with LA's divers den and a few other vendors I've had much better luck with.

mrongi1 01/05/2008 11:55 AM

I'd love to see a pic of it when it is expanded. I was going to buy that when I saw it.

Dradee 01/05/2008 04:31 PM

Ive gotten taken almost every time Ive ordered corals online. I swear that they send at least one dead coral in every order just so you have to send in another order just to get the dead one replaced! And the corals never look like the pictures because most pics are taken with actenics only.

Heres a picture of a scolly we bought from SalmonKing.. its an awesome Bleeding Apple Scolly and its even brighter green than the pic shows. It wasnt cheap ;) but well worth it!

[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Carrida/christmas001.jpg[/IMG]