Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Discussion (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Zero Mech Filtration Method (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136664)

Stoli 12/22/2002 10:07 PM

Zero Mech Filtration Method

NOTE TO ALL. THIS IS NOT A SKIMMER V. SKIMMERLESS THREAD!!

I'd like to hear experiences, good and bad, with very limited or no mechanical filtration.

I've been running my 90 gallon reef for a little over a year now. I have about 110 lbs live rock, a dsb with a jaubert plenum and a sump. I don't use any filtration other than the rock, dsb and plenum. I keep a medium fish load of 8 small to medium fish. I have several SPS, LPS and a couple of leathers, three clams, along with zoo's and other assorted inverts. At the moment, everything appears healthy and growing. I feed regularly but on the light side with homemade food consisting of marine fish, algae, shellfish, selcon, baby vitamins etc. I also dose dt's I'm in the midst of a cyano outbreak but it doesn't seem to be negatively affecting livestock. Major readings are nominal including Nitrites, Nitrates, Ammo, and phosphate. alk/CA governed by a Korallin Reactor and maintained about 400-420.

While I believe my livestock is well cared for and currently quite healthy, I am beginning to think more about old tank syndrome and other such hazards. I have a brand new myreef skimmer sitting in its box and I can't figure out a reason to install it. I have a great sump that will nicely support various filter media but again, why if everything is happy?

Stoli 12/23/2002 10:18 AM

^^

Pomacanthus1 12/23/2002 11:07 AM

If it's old tank syndrome you're worried about, then [url=www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/rs/feature/index.htm]this[/URL] should fill you in.

tstone 12/23/2002 11:21 AM

I see no reason to change your set up. I would not add the skimmer.
I run basicly the same setup as you just without the jaubert plenum. I have no problems (knock on wood).

I would use the skimmer for trading material.

Eric Boerner 12/23/2002 12:11 PM

I ran my set up with a natural ecosystem for nearly a year. In that time I had cyano and hair algae outbreaks left and right. IMO the tank just looked aweful. Theres nothing worse than scrubbing & scooping out a mess of cyano on a weekly basis. Even with only 3 small fish, extremely light feedings every 3 days, I just couldn't kill it off.

I put on a skimmer, and it reduced the algaes and cyano by half. I put on an ozonizer, and they totally disappeared.

Corals expanded increadibly and the fish never looked better. The tank water was crystal clear (was yellowish even after weekly 20% water changes).

Also....

The unfortunate problems with cyano is that it oxidizes and releases microbubble gases into the system. These could lead to "gas bubble disease" for fish. It can also lead to excellerating other pathogens of fish and coral diseases in the system.

I would rather maintain a heathy, clean tank than subject my livestock to unlivable conditions.