Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Saltwater Enthusiasts Association of Springfield (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=265)
-   -   Looking for Rubbermaid stock tank (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1264249)

REEF-n-Chicago 12/04/2007 03:05 PM

Looking for Rubbermaid stock tank

Hey everyone :)
I am having the beginnings of an out break of aspstia (SP?) and am wanting to borrow or purchase a rubbermaid stock tank so I can take the rock out and inject them one by one (loads of fun) LOL Anyhow, if anyone has an extra let me know....

Also, after this is done I am going to order some Berghia nudibranch to help control the smaller ones based on fish's recommendations and my readings. If anyone has any personal experience let me know.
Thanks in advance for any info!

jhuggins 12/04/2007 03:12 PM

I am having some problems with them as well. I will tag allong and when you order the Berghia nudibranch let me know and maybe we can go in together and get a better deal on them.

REEF-n-Chicago 12/04/2007 03:33 PM

That would be a great idea. They are not that pricey (if they work) 15.00. inland aquatics said to buy in packs of three. So, between that and the shipping it starts to hurt. LOL We will def have to group order. Anyone else is welcome> the more you buy the cheaper they get. I would like to order them in the next two weeks once I inject a few. Let me know what you think.

fish2 12/04/2007 04:16 PM

im getting ready to order some from them. im going to try and breed them.thanks fish

REEF-n-Chicago 12/04/2007 04:33 PM

I was reading that too. Thought it would be fun! We can have a breeding contest :) When are you going to order. If we all order together it will be cheap!

REEF-n-Chicago 12/04/2007 05:02 PM

Fish, did you buy your stock tanks locally?

Medicine Man 12/04/2007 11:41 PM

I used the berghia to get rid of aptasia before. Worked well. About a year later I ended up using peppermint shrimp and that worked too. Had to buy a ton of the peppermint shrimp to get them to eat it but it worked.

Has anyone tried Race Bros for the stock tanks? Stock tanks are used on farms so it may be worth a look.

joelk835 12/04/2007 11:51 PM

Race Brothers does have the stock tanks and they do go on sale from time to time if you watch for it.

REEF-n-Chicago 12/04/2007 11:53 PM

Medicine Man> what size tank was this? Also, how many is a ton of peppermints? Thanks for your input! (I will try race brothers.... great idea!)

REEF-n-Chicago 12/04/2007 11:58 PM

You beat me on the reply :) joelk > do you know a round about price for a 100 tank. I will def watch for the sale!

fish2 12/05/2007 09:32 AM

there around 65.00

Muleball39 12/05/2007 10:44 AM

I would be intrested in buying some of the Nudi's

joelk835 12/05/2007 11:33 AM

Like fish said they run around $65 for the 100 gallon stock tank. They go on sale sometimes I believe I got my two for around $50 each on sale but that was a long time ago so not sure if they are still doing that.

REEF-n-Chicago 12/05/2007 11:59 AM

Thanks> I will watch for the sale... How quickly does everyone want to order these? Im flexible.... whenever over the next to weeks. They claim they will live and even thrive (breed) in a mason jar. (Inlands site) I will try to figure out the link and post it . (never posted one)

tbrill 12/05/2007 12:16 PM

I have a 100 gal stock tank that you are welcome to, I will take $50

But...if you are going to buy the nudi's, you are better off to just leave your display as it is, add the nudi's and let them do their thing. The more aptasia's the better for them. They will eat them pretty quickly, and if your lucky, they will breed and you'll have some to share or sell to others. If you kill off most of the aptasia's the nudi's won't last long and die.

I used them on a heavily infested tank with great success. You can't have anything else in the tank known to eat aptasia's...or they will eat your nudi's....also no emerald mythrax crabs.

tbrill 12/05/2007 12:20 PM

By the way, saltyunderground.com is a great place to buy the nudi's. They are in St Louis, so they are pretty close and not in the box long, as well as good pricing.

troy1299 12/05/2007 05:33 PM

I might have a few 100 gal stock tanks laying around as well as as well as a 150gal.

REEF-n-Chicago 12/05/2007 09:43 PM

tbrill> thanks for the site and the suggestions> maybe i will leave them alone for now buuuutttt I hate them so! :) I will let you know on the stock tank. I'm going to see about going with a 150 if troy has one and I have the space!
Troy> sending PM!

REEF-n-Chicago 12/05/2007 09:55 PM

Fish, sent you a PM as well

Shaun120 12/06/2007 09:15 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11319546#post11319546 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbrill [/i]
[B] If you kill off most of the aptasia's the nudi's won't last long and die.
[/B][/QUOTE]

You are totally right on that one Tim.

My buddy and I bought 12 of them about a year ago with the intent to breed them. We had a tank FULL of aptasia it looked like creepy brown grass. We put them in and they went to town on them. Though they did breed easily, little egg spirals everywhere. The problem was keeping enough aptasia around to feed them. Honestly, I thought that would never be a problem but after a month or so they finished all the aptasia we had. We even had a tank set up for breeding aptasia, crazy I know. If you buy any I would definitely buy as a group and just take 2 and let them go. If there is aptasia to eat they will breed.

Medicine Man 12/06/2007 01:21 PM

I bought mine from a professor at MSU who uses them for his classes. He had a 20 gallon tank set up for breeding aptasia and feed them cyclopeeze. He then pulled an individual rock covered with aptasia and cut a few off and put them into the beekers that he had his nudis in. Cyclopeeze is the key. I never had a problem with aptasia until I started feeding that a few years ago. Its like steroids for aptasia!

tbrill 12/06/2007 01:45 PM

That sounds right to me, I feed a lot of cyclopeze. Wafer and frozen. It's a shame, because it keeps the fish so healthy.

Medicine Man 12/06/2007 01:54 PM

It is a great product. I think thats why aptasia grow so well with it because it is so nutritious to reef animals.

REEF-n-Chicago 12/07/2007 02:24 PM

I am thinking of breeding them myself (trying to)
Medicine Man > What is the professor who does this? Do you think he would mind if I stopped in to have a look?
I will look in to feeding them cyclopeze. I can def see how that would work.... What kind of lighting does aptasia require? Hmmmmm :) Sounds fun to me!
Tbrill> I am waiting to hear back from Troy , will let you know on the stock tank. Thanks

REEF-n-Chicago 12/09/2007 02:23 PM

Bump :)