Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Over 260+ items identified - by picture! (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354760)

melev 04/12/2004 12:00 AM

Over 260+ items identified - by picture!

Occasionally I post this page in an effort to help others identify what is in their tanks. I hope it proves useful. I do update it from time to time, as I did tonight.

It may take a little time to load if you use dial-up, so please be patient.

[url]http://melevsreef.com/id/[/url]

Dubbin1 04/12/2004 12:31 AM

Thats a great idea!!!

SeanT 04/12/2004 12:46 AM

Awesome job Marc.
Thanks for this. :)

racrumrine 04/12/2004 12:53 AM

Your pictures and descriptions are so helpful, I sent a request to the moderator to make this a sticky at the top of the forum.

Thanks,

Roy

melev 04/12/2004 02:00 AM

Thanks guys. :)

Quicksilver 04/12/2004 07:36 AM

I've been watching from the start and it is really coming along. Great Job Marc! William

melev 04/12/2004 11:36 AM

Thanks William. :)

marineaddict 04/12/2004 11:44 AM

Awesome page!!!!!!

melev 04/12/2004 11:47 AM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by marineaddict [/i]
[B]Awesome page!!!!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

Tell all your friends. :D :lol:

Seriously though, thank you.

JHA1 04/12/2004 01:05 PM

Thanks for the link.
Great page

dc 04/12/2004 02:17 PM

Great pictures! Are you looking for others? I have a decent isopod pic if you want it.

[IMG]http://images5.fotki.com/v58/photos/2/28482/235116/DSC02586isopod-vi.jpg[/IMG]

Drowningfish 04/12/2004 02:55 PM

Great link. Thanks for the info. definetly will come in handy.

melev 04/12/2004 02:55 PM

I had considered it for a while, but overall, I felt I should only add the things I've had in my own tanks. Currently the octopus and one patch of zoanthids are listed that were not mine, and I've noted it that way.

Debi, do you have a picture of that isopod that is 640 x 480?

dc 04/12/2004 03:06 PM

No I don't my hard drive crashed and the only pictures I have were in my fokti album. That's the biggest I have.

tdool 04/12/2004 06:52 PM

Excellant Website. Great for newbies like me.

Thanks for your effort and time

cwbroden 04/12/2004 07:02 PM

That is going to be something great for the new people. BRAVO!!! BRAVO!!!

Chris

sfsuphysics 04/12/2004 07:47 PM

Wow melev great work, I seem to remember you (or maybe it was someone else) sometime back who mentioned wanting to do some sort of database, regardless a picture is worth 1000 words. Is this an ongoing project with more pictures? Don't think I'd have anything you'd want, off hand (red & blue crabs, margarita, cerith, turbo, astraea snails, feather duster, tomato clown, green-chromis, blue damsel, coral beauty, *gasp for breath* bubbletip, candy cane coral, bubble coral (sickly free specimin), and probably a few other things I can't think of (damn I need a sig with all this stuff like everyone else!)). But regardless keep up the good work!

Btw it said your perc chummed up with a bubble tip? I'm thinking of tempting fate and putting two different species of clowns in my 135G and was trying to figure out a suitable anemone companion and all the faqs did not list bubble tips for percs (true or false) only the more difficult to keep species, but if I could get a bubble tip for the new clowns that'd be fabulous!

racrumrine 04/12/2004 08:05 PM

Looks like they have made this a sticky. Thanks ReefCentral.

Marc:

Regarding the photos, I think it would be great if you would be willing to use other people's photos that you felt met your quality/clarity criteria. If you want to disclaim that you didn't take the photo, or give credit to another person, that's your call. The most important thing is matching the photo with the creature's name.

You've done a great job, and I'd like to think that with everyone's help, you could put together an excellant database that would help all of us with identifications. Perhaps at the bottom, you could add links to other identification sites (such as for sponges, or to Dr Ron's)

Keep up the good work,

Roy

fish @ chips 29 04/12/2004 08:05 PM

Good job, Thanks for all the great info. :)

ri 04/12/2004 08:16 PM

Added to my Favorites!

ri

coyoteseven 04/12/2004 11:17 PM

Thanks Marc! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to future updates.

melev 04/12/2004 11:25 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by sfsuphysics [/i]
[B]Wow melev great work, I seem to remember you (or maybe it was someone else) sometime back who mentioned wanting to do some sort of database, regardless a picture is worth 1000 words. Is this an ongoing project with more pictures? Don't think I'd have anything you'd want, off hand (red & blue crabs, margarita, cerith, turbo, astraea snails, feather duster, tomato clown, green-chromis, blue damsel, coral beauty, *gasp for breath* bubbletip, candy cane coral, bubble coral (sickly free specimin), and probably a few other things I can't think of (damn I need a sig with all this stuff like everyone else!)). But regardless keep up the good work!

Btw it said your perc chummed up with a bubble tip? I'm thinking of tempting fate and putting two different species of clowns in my 135G and was trying to figure out a suitable anemone companion and all the faqs did not list bubble tips for percs (true or false) only the more difficult to keep species, but if I could get a bubble tip for the new clowns that'd be fabulous! [/B][/QUOTE]

You do have a lot of stuff. (Btw, I'm not a fan of signature lines filled with every molecule in the tank. That is what personal websites are for. :p )

My True Percula and my False Percula are sharing my BTA, which split once over a month ago, and now is in the process of splitting off one more piece, and in another few weeks it will finally split the last one I'm guessing. So my 22 month old BTA will eventually be four. :D

The True Percula was alone, as its mate jumped. It took two weeks until it decided to host, and has remained there ever since. I've had the Percula 6+ years, btw.

The new tank-raised (locally) Ocellaris is 9 months old, and within 6 hours of being added to the tank it dove right into the BTA and shares it. I've observed the false perc chase out the true perc often, but she always comes back. They are adorable.

melev 04/12/2004 11:45 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by racrumrine [/i]
[B]Looks like they have made this a sticky. Thanks ReefCentral.

Marc:

Regarding the photos, I think it would be great if you would be willing to use other people's photos that you felt met your quality/clarity criteria. If you want to disclaim that you didn't take the photo, or give credit to another person, that's your call. The most important thing is matching the photo with the creature's name.

You've done a great job, and I'd like to think that with everyone's help, you could put together an excellant database that would help all of us with identifications. Perhaps at the bottom, you could add links to other identification sites (such as for sponges, or to Dr Ron's)

Keep up the good work,

Roy [/B][/QUOTE]

That is very nice of RC to sticky this thread. I hope to continue to make it a valuable tool for others in the hobby. I have about 5 new items to add to this page, and of course as time passes more things will be added.

I've had people offer to give me items in the past, so this is what I'm thinking:[list][*]I need a nice, crisp <b>quality</b> image (640x480) to identify the item. The item should be easy to see and fill most of the frame, rather than a large image that has been shrunken down. Cropping is ideal. If the image meets my criteria, I will consider adding it.
[*]I will need the <b>real name</b> of the photographer, to give that person credit.
[*]It should include a 50 - 75 word description of the item, including its name (and scientific name if possible) and whether it is reef safe or not. The description can be your personal observations or the age of creature perhaps. I may ask for you to resubmit the text if it lacks specifics. I reserve the right to re-edit the text as necessary.
[*]Images should be emailed to me at [EMAIL=melev@swbell.net]melev@swbell.net[/EMAIL] and should be in <b>JPEG format</b>. Please do <b>not</b> send me BMP files because they will not be used and only clutter up my mailbox with gigantic files.[/list]
If you do submit an image, you are giving me permission to use it online, where it can be seen by people on other boards around the world. I do not want to have to delete images later, as I'm busy enough as it is. Please only submit your own images and don't "borrow" other people's pictures calling it your own.

If this page gets too large, I may break it up into a few depending on the quantity of items.

If you submit an image and it is used, it will be added as time permits. Please do not grow impatient as it does take time to do this right. :artist:

nevpugh308 04/13/2004 08:43 AM

Superb page, many thanks Melev !!!

bkwudzjeep 04/13/2004 10:57 AM

WOW!! Great idea.....this will helps many people of all levels. There is always something to learn at this hobby!!