Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   Kalk reactor recomendations (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1104341)

ocd_mariner 04/22/2007 01:31 PM

Kalk reactor recomendations

Im going to add a kalk reactor to my auto top off. I was just curious if anyone wanted to chime in about the unit they have/had experience with, etc. I'm not really sure what I should look for in a reactor, nor if there is really any difference between the models. Any insight would be most helpful.

cwklinge 04/22/2007 03:44 PM

I have a GEO and it's built like a tank. Very easy to use. However, it depending on how busy he is it might take a while to get one.

45commando 04/22/2007 05:11 PM

I just got a reactor from Reeftek.I am very pleased with the quality of the unit & they were a great company to deal with.HTH

ocd_mariner 04/22/2007 05:28 PM

Actually, the GEO is why I was posting this question. I've always been a big fan of premium aquatics and their customer service, but they are out of stock on the GEO's. I called to ask when they would get em in, and they basically had no clue until GEO contacts them. So, I don't really want to wait around until he gets them made :)

I also googled the GEO, but the only other place I found to get it is some addictive aquatics website that I have never heard of. Any other sponsors on RC carry the GEO reactor?

sean_nj 04/22/2007 05:29 PM

Aquamedic.

SSTG 04/22/2007 06:01 PM

The reef stop.I have a geo and it's worth the wait.Just the fact you have to wait on one should tell you something.Seth

wpbfishguy 04/22/2007 07:41 PM

I got a newly designed MRC kalkreactor with the built in timers but if you don't want to wait this is probably not the answer either as I waited six weeks or so for mine. Build quality seems very good but I have not filled it with water yet so I can't comment beyond that.

petedoc 04/22/2007 08:06 PM

[url]www.austinoceans.com[/url] used to be Barr Aquatics, always top quality stuff

twon8 04/22/2007 08:14 PM

If you have the room for a reservoir i recommend forgoing the kalk reactor and just mix up a few weeks of kalk at a time. I have a 55 gallon drum in a closet on my 180 and a 37 gallon one for my 90 and they each last a good while. I have used kalk reactors in the past but had difficulties during operation , plus they are expensive.

collins 04/23/2007 03:19 AM

my PM one has been great

dukes707 04/23/2007 06:10 AM

twon8 -
If you have the room for a reservoir i recommend forgoing the kalk reactor and just mix up a few weeks of kalk at a time. I have a 55 gallon drum in a closet on my 180 and a 37 gallon one for my 90 and they each last a good while. I have used kalk reactors in the past but had difficulties during operation , plus they are expensive.

agreed, its a lot easier that way, you can use it in your top off, make a bunch at a time, and save a bunch of money by not buying a kalk reactor. i have used a kalk ATO for all top off for quite a while now with no probs. just remember with dosing kalk mag. levels drop after a while. HTH

-dukes

Nuuze 04/23/2007 08:08 AM

I have a GEO for several months now and so far so good. I have it connected to my ATO and ACjr to turn on for 15 mins every 6 hours for 15 minutes. Click on my red house for pics...

erics3000 04/23/2007 12:02 PM

twon8

What type of kalk do you use?

So you just mix a bunch and have it go into your system from top off? Can you explain how this is done?Do you have to always mix it with a pump or something? I am setting up ro storage in my garage and that might be a good idea.

Thanks
Eric

JRaquatics 04/23/2007 12:57 PM

I would go with a GEO. I have a PM and it is built well, my only gripe is no drain like the GEO has and the pump is noisy.

jeffreylam1132 04/23/2007 12:59 PM

I think the GEO website have them for sale.

[url]http://www.geosreef.com/kalk_01.html[/url]

collins 04/23/2007 01:54 PM

JRaquatics, if you run your PM in some vinegar water from time to time, the powerhead will be silent again

twon8 04/23/2007 02:19 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9792543#post9792543 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by erics3000 [/i]
[B]twon8

What type of kalk do you use?

So you just mix a bunch and have it go into your system from top off? Can you explain how this is done?Do you have to always mix it with a pump or something? I am setting up ro storage in my garage and that might be a good idea.

Thanks
Eric [/B][/QUOTE]

i use mrs wages; i dump a bunch of it in when i fill up the barrels, i don't bother mixing other than that. i have covers for the barrels and it keeps up my alk/ca fine

erics3000 04/23/2007 05:34 PM

I am going to have a couple 50 gallon containers in my garage for water changes and ro storage. I think I will just start out something simple like that.

What do you use for alk/ca? Do you make your own like the one on rc?

Thanks..