Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Lounge (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   So, let's just say I lost my mind and decided to get back into the reptile hobby... (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1286672)

MarkS 01/05/2008 04:04 PM

So, let's just say I lost my mind and decided to get back into the reptile hobby...

I've been wanting to get a male and female Burmese Python for some time now. I used to keep snakes, including Burmese and Ball pythons and even a red-tail boa, in my late teens, but have been out of the hobby for well over a decade.

I have a huge plywood box that was going to be a plywood aquarium, but the size was just too big for me to finish. It measures 8' long x 3' deep x 2' high. It can easily be converted to the task of snake cage and would be big enough for a pair of Burmese for quite some time.

I am very much aware of the dangers of keeping these snakes and their requirements, but does anyone know how to get in touch with reliable local breeders? I've tried [url]kingsnake.com[/url], but I keep being directed to the rescue link. I want to stay away from pet stores when I make my purchase. If you abhors pet stores for fish, you probably haven't been in the reptile sections.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Sk8r 01/05/2008 04:29 PM

Just be careful if you have kids around. Padlocked lid/door. They never believe how subtly and fast they can get looped-around.

I used to keep skinks [best little escape artists in the universe, especially the babies, who used to terrorize my office person] in a terrarium---with crickets. In the case of the boas, you know for their own sake what the requirements are to keep them safe, and what the legal liabilities are. Power to you: they're beautiful.

MarkS 01/05/2008 04:52 PM

Yes, kids are around.

Here is what the box looks like, minus the front glass and overflow:

[IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b106/mspeir/NewTank.jpg[/IMG]

The top opening will be covered with 3/4" plywood and bolted down. The top plate will have a feeding door cut into it and this door will be attached with heavy duty hinges and pad locked. The front will consist of two sliding 1/2" thick plate glass doors with a lock holding them shut. The door tracks will be made out of laminated plywood and will be bolted to the cage. Vents will be cut into both sides and screened in with heavy weight mesh.

Sk8r 01/05/2008 04:56 PM

Sounds very good. You could almost hold a baby skink. ;)
Key to that padlock on YOUR key ring...and I think you've got it secure.

I had my skinks in a hex 50. It was nice for a terrarium for these guys--they like water and didn't mind getting soaked so long as there's a warm rock handy and the general atmosphere is Amazon rainforest. Your guys are more branch oriented, aren't they, high and dry, warm in the sun?

dwd5813 01/05/2008 05:09 PM

ooh cool! an old friend of mine had a somewhat similar enclosure for his albino burmese, although that one was oriented vertically with branches secured inside for climbing and such. i don't recall the humidity inside, but it sounds like you have the requirements already worked out from your previous experience. good luck with finding a quality breeder. i hope you get the animals you're looking for.

Jaqux 01/05/2008 05:17 PM

[url]http://thereptileroom.org[/url]

and faunaclassifieds.com

The guy who owns/runs the reptile room usually has some burms in for sale. His username is Gary, his brothers is BigDogg. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them. Proherps.com is his website I think.

On Faunaclassifieds, they have the BOI (Board of Inquiry) where you can read/post asking about breeders and read feed back on them. I would do a search there before you buy from anyone. Hope this helps some.

english83 01/05/2008 05:22 PM

I'm getting out of the hobby. Can I interest you in Blue Tounge Skinks, Bearded Dragons, or leopard geckos? :lol:

MarkS 01/06/2008 12:06 AM

What humidity level should they be kept at? I know they are native to the tropics, so a moderate to high humidity level would seem correct, but I can find no reference to it online.

dwd5813 01/06/2008 12:38 AM

"To provide your snake with a humidity level of 50% - 60%, you have a couple of options."

from this page:[url]http://www.newenglandreptile.com/CareBurm.html[/url]

english83 01/06/2008 03:10 PM

When we still had a Ball Python, we kept the water dish full and she would soak when she wanted too.

J. Montgomery 01/06/2008 04:34 PM

I found a good breeder of chameleons a few years ago by doing Google searches. You can also check Reptile magazine, they have classifieds in the back as well as listings of local herp shows where you may be able to come across a breeder.

Jeffrey Porter 01/06/2008 06:30 PM

go down to florida and trek through the glades, i'm sure you'll find more than enough burmese to satisfy your cravings.

MarkS 01/06/2008 08:39 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11535999#post11535999 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jeffrey Porter [/i]
[B]go down to florida and trek through the glades, i'm sure you'll find more than enough burmese to satisfy your cravings. [/B][/QUOTE]

No, thank you. Besides, I'm not getting this on a whim or to have a "cool" pet. I actually now what I'm doing.

Debi's gonna have a fit with that last comment.

UH_OH_5_OH 01/07/2008 02:46 AM

Mark......Look for a Burm guidebook by Phillipe de Vosjoli....he's an Uber Stud when it comes to reptiles !!! And as for the wooden crate/box/whatever...unless that wood is sealed...your likely to cause alot of mold....and then your looking at URI or Aspergillosis infections !

IMHO

Sloth 01/07/2008 10:33 AM

Maybe going through a rescue organization would be a good idea. There always seem to be people unloading burms and nobody to take them.

MarkS 01/07/2008 01:45 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11539576#post11539576 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by UH_OH_5_OH [/i]
[B]Mark......Look for a Burm guidebook by Phillipe de Vosjoli....he's an Uber Stud when it comes to reptiles !!! And as for the wooden crate/box/whatever...unless that wood is sealed...your likely to cause alot of mold....and then your looking at URI or Aspergillosis infections !

IMHO [/B][/QUOTE]

It will be thoroughly coated in epoxy inside and out. Thanks for the tip on the guide book. :thumbsup:

rogers259 01/07/2008 03:11 PM

on Kingsnake.com click on the classified tab at the top of the screen then look at the middle of the page under US for a link to Pythons, boas, etc. that takes you to the forsale section. I'm sure you could put a post up lookin to buy in your area and find a good breeder. Also at the top of the page on the tab next to the classifieds is a forum tab. You'll find a forum specific to what your after under that.

HTH.