Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Fishes (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Liveaquaria Pintail Wrasse (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1284653)

snorvich 01/08/2008 07:00 AM

You need to use double mesh or the wholes are too large. These puppies will jump. Not IF, but WHEN. There is no totally safe solution but the double mesh one above is probably the best I have seen.

LargeAngels 01/08/2008 08:35 AM

I agree with snorvich. They will jump. I even have screen coverings on all my overflows cause at some point the smaller ones will make it into the overflow.

I use the clear mesh in double or triple layers, depending on size of the wrasses.

Fairy Wrassler 01/08/2008 09:02 AM

I lost a large Scott's through a gap in my glass lids that was a lot thinner than the fish was. I suspect he had an unknown octopus after him at the time, but that is the subject of another thread. I have no gaps now....

I use plastic mesh over the overflows after losing a laboutei down there - again, it looked like there was no way the fish would fit.

I had a exquisitus that made a regular banging sound as it bounced off the lids - as snorvich, Large Angels et al are stating it isn't if, it is when they jump.

Cheers,
FW

huskerreef 01/08/2008 10:57 AM

Do not hesitate, get covered or you will find a $500 bill dried up on your carpet. I speak from experience.
Mystery Wrasse- jumped but I thought it was a rarity
Hooded Male Jumped- Got my attention, got eggcrate
Hooded Male jumped through the eggcrate- Thought just bad luck.
Pair of Adornatus jumped through the eggcrate- finally sunk in, acrylic lids.

So after nearly a $1000 in wrasses I got the hint and put a good cover on my 240. No more jumpers. Keep in mind that in my system I can get away with the acrylic lids as my sump is large open and in the basement. I would use the mesh or screen ASAP.

achillesheel 01/08/2008 06:24 PM

ok, i put the screen up.

Fairy Wrassler 01/08/2008 06:48 PM

We knew you would, if only we harangued you enough :-)

FW

snorvich 01/08/2008 09:19 PM

And just a reminder. Egg crate does NOT work. Not even close.

achillesheel 01/08/2008 10:27 PM

nope used the method shown earlier

Chooch1 01/08/2008 11:37 PM

My reef was covered and I had a hooded wrasse who jumped straight up and hit his head on the acylic light covering and killed himself. I heard a loud thump and looked on the floor assuming he had jumped out of the tank and saw nothing. I then looked in the tank and saw him gasping and taking his last breath laying on the sand. I tried to revive him but no luck. I would agree with the others that the soft garden mesh appears to be the safest and most effective solution.

Fairy Wrassler 01/09/2008 11:18 AM

I have never gotten the eggcrate thing.

"The wrasses are jumping out of the tank"

"OK - lat's put up a matrix of sharpened plastic squares for them to jump into. That will keep them safe".

heuerfan 01/11/2008 11:42 AM

More pics please......... :D

achillesheel 01/11/2008 07:40 PM

he's still very shy. so im staying away from the tank a bit. no pix but maybe in a week or two.

heuerfan 01/11/2008 08:52 PM

Print out a life size picture of yourself and leave it in front of the tank all day, he will get used to you.................... :)