Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Soft Coral Keepers (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=424)
-   -   My lord needs help (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1272061)

capn_hylinur 12/20/2007 10:40 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11423672#post11423672 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Patwa [/i]
[B]Brown jelly....it's a bacterial infection i believe, and is a notorious and exceptionally fast killer of acans and other mussids such as micros. It's very easy to control though, but it does tend to occur in tanks with off-balance levels.....if you've ever seen it in action you'll know it can wipe out an entire acan colony, literally overnight. I had one buddy lose a good percentage of his aussie acans this way....it was only after fragging and treatment that he able to curb the spread.

that being said....in the above case, i do believe it's the elegance coral that has stung the acan.....elegance corals are capable of inflating to a very large degree, so i do think it would have been pretty easy for it to reach acan...cataphyllia corals also have one of most potent stings around; an acan lord is no match for an elegance.

Zach [/B][/QUOTE]

thanks zach------so move the coral but don't frag it??

Patwa 12/20/2007 11:19 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11425054#post11425054 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur [/i]
[B]thanks zach------so move the coral but don't frag it?? [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't think you have brown jelly or any similar ailment......if you did, your entire colony would have been dead already, that's for sure.....and yeah, definitely move it away from the elegance....maybe up on a rock ledge (you'll get better colouration, too!)

....BUT it never hurts to frag a piece of one's favourite coral!.......so...YES....frag a few polyps off it, just for piece of mind in case the s*** hits the fan, so to speak...hehehe

g'luck

Zach

capn_hylinur 12/20/2007 12:14 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11425260#post11425260 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Patwa [/i]
[B]I don't think you have brown jelly or any similar ailment......if you did, your entire colony would have been dead already, that's for sure.....and yeah, definitely move it away from the elegance....maybe up on a rock ledge (you'll get better colouration, too!)

....BUT it never hurts to frag a piece of one's favourite coral!.......so...YES....frag a few polyps off it, just for piece of mind in case the s*** hits the fan, so to speak...hehehe

g'luck

Zach [/B][/QUOTE]

Zach--thanks--for what is worth----
Reef Raft has its annual xmas sale this Sat(2 min from the mall in Miss.) Alot of coral at really good prices.
Scott

bohannbj 12/26/2007 08:46 PM

Hope it lives it sure is nice. I would feed it more often to keep its strength up.

capn_hylinur 12/27/2007 11:22 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11461114#post11461114 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bohannbj [/i]
[B]Hope it lives it sure is nice. I would feed it more often to keep its strength up. [/B][/QUOTE]

thanks--its doing fine--I think it got stung by the elegance