Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nano Reefs (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Melev's new Nano! (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1166558)

bleedingthought 07/19/2007 09:15 PM

Joining the ride. Looks great! :)

purebullet417 07/19/2007 09:21 PM

you just let me know when ever u need to unload anything and ill be sure to pay for it and to ship it lol if you havent seen it yet check out mine and my uncles 210 upgrade thread. we both learned most of what we know about reefing from your sight and took alot of ideas from your 280 for it
[url]http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1157869[/url]

bklynmet 07/19/2007 09:49 PM

Marc, I've been giving your drainage system some thought and have the following advice/precaution to take...

I'd throttle down the water coming in and possibly go with the mag 5.. the logic behind this is the following.. over time, your drains will clog.. heck, you may have a snail block some of the drain opening... if there is blockage, and it is draining at a rate near its peak drainage rate (determined by opening size and pipe diamter), then you risk overflowing because there's water coming in at a pretty decent flow rate.... and since your sump is part of a much larger system, you may face a lot of water on the floor.. it's the same rule of thumb where you do not use a return pump rated for more than what your drain can handle at the given head height..

I may be overthinking it and do not know how it's actually draining because I'm not there to observe... but, you very likely considered this.. but figured someone else can learn from this...

One question, will you be target feeding some of the corals in this tank? The reason I ask is because of the narrow top and am curious to see how you would do it if you do plan to target feed..

As always, best of luck with it because I'm looking forward to seeing some more awesome photos of zoas, rics and clams!
-Joe

FUA 07/19/2007 09:58 PM

great concept. I have also seen that tank on reefvideos.com. I will definately be following this thread.

chkit 07/19/2007 10:28 PM

you are my hero

Andrew 07/19/2007 10:42 PM

Looks sweet! You need to make me one of these Marc! :)

melev 07/19/2007 11:59 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10375527#post10375527 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Apachie [/i]
[B]do you have a cleanup crew yet

I have green algae growing close to my live rock.

I have some hermits and an emrald crab, but i cant scrape it .
any suggestions? [/B][/QUOTE]

Since I want to add interesting creatures to this tank, I've not made up my mind on anything specific at the moment. It's going to be tricky not to overfeed this tank. Today I tried just using a pinch of frozen cyclop-eeze.

I guess a few tiny snails perhaps, and a Tigertail Cucumber. I have three in my reef so I'll nab one for this tank.

melev 07/20/2007 12:02 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10375880#post10375880 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bklynmet [/i]
[B]Marc, I've been giving your drainage system some thought and have the following advice/precaution to take...

I'd throttle down the water coming in and possibly go with the mag 5.. the logic behind this is the following.. over time, your drains will clog.. heck, you may have a snail block some of the drain opening... if there is blockage, and it is draining at a rate near its peak drainage rate (determined by opening size and pipe diamter), then you risk overflowing because there's water coming in at a pretty decent flow rate.... and since your sump is part of a much larger system, you may face a lot of water on the floor.. it's the same rule of thumb where you do not use a return pump rated for more than what your drain can handle at the given head height..

I may be overthinking it and do not know how it's actually draining because I'm not there to observe... but, you very likely considered this.. but figured someone else can learn from this...

One question, will you be target feeding some of the corals in this tank? The reason I ask is because of the narrow top and am curious to see how you would do it if you do plan to target feed..

As always, best of luck with it because I'm looking forward to seeing some more awesome photos of zoas, rics and clams!
-Joe [/B][/QUOTE]

Joe, thank you for your input. That was an excellent post with good foresight. I've already considered swapping out the Mag 7 with a Mag 5 as the 7 is being restricted at least by 50% (estimate).

And this is being pumped into the tank with 1" plumbing with zero elbows except after the 1" bulkhead. So the only headheight is the rise of 14" out of the sump, the horizontal run that must be 6' and then another rise of 18" to the tank.

Imagine if I could do this with a Mag 3. :lol:

I hope to not have to target feed much in this tank at all. My arm does fit easily with the 5.5" width and since the substrate is maybe 13 to 14" from the surface, it isn't a stretch. Of course my light being balanced currently isn't what I'd consider a safe move! That needs to be resolved when I get back in town.

I'm leaving tomorrow for a collection trip in Port Aransas, and won't be back until Sunday evening.

Ebisan 07/20/2007 12:08 AM

Nice nano.

kysard1 07/20/2007 12:45 AM

I always thought about building a tank like this, but can you reach in there to clean the front glass?

melev 07/20/2007 12:58 AM

Yes. I'll have to post a picture with my arm in the tank. ;)

mrapisura 07/20/2007 01:07 AM

Love the look of the tank. You'll have a great view with that angled front.

NanoClown 07/20/2007 01:16 AM

shweet!

NanoGurl 07/20/2007 01:23 AM

I love your nano! Gives a whole new meaning to "nano reef" :D I really like your acans too! I want some of those =)

Apachie 07/20/2007 10:50 AM

You made me want to get a clown.

I went to my lfs and got a small percula.

MY FIRST SALTWATER FISH!!!:rollface:

SoCalLifer 07/20/2007 10:52 AM

The tank looks awesome

fishstick41 07/20/2007 11:26 AM

any more pics ? =]

ThaNgBOm321 07/20/2007 01:21 PM

thats a cool tank... i saw that tank on 'reefvids' also... think it was a ric/horse tank tho but cool non-the-less... i really like the overflow/return ... that is one cool design!!!

are all those coke bottles ( the valve pic) for you phyto??? gezz that a lot of phyto if it is.....

YzGyz

Jimbo327 07/20/2007 01:22 PM

OK, this is 1 bad mofo. :eek1:

It's hardcore when you can build your own custom nano tank, and have a custom 180g sump too. :lol:

burton14e7 07/20/2007 03:06 PM

Awesome little nano.

t5Nitro 07/20/2007 04:59 PM

Nice tank!

melev 07/22/2007 06:07 PM

Thank you all. I just got back from being out of town since Friday morning.

The clowns are hosting in the Rose! :inlove:

The tank looks great, no issues occured while I was away.

Yep, those bottles are for making phytoplankton. I actually use a 2g jug and then fill up four bottles each time I harvest it.

DiSkuStiNg 07/22/2007 07:47 PM

great Tank idea

Slakker 07/22/2007 09:25 PM

I love this tank, Melev! The design is unique, it's well built and thought out, and you've made some great choices on stocking!

I'll be tagging along for updates on this baby!

melev 07/23/2007 06:43 PM

They're hosting - here's proof

[img]http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/07/07/rbta_0723.jpg[/img]