PDA

View Full Version : Montipora Cap Frag

chriss
07/17/2002, 12:27 AM
When moving my rocks, I broke my orange monti, the piece that broke off was between 1/4 - 1/2 tall and about 1 inch long. Will this piece probably survive as a frag or not?
Chris

Carlos
07/17/2002, 12:37 AM
Just glue it to a piece of gravel and put it in the tank and it will encrust in a week or so.

Carlos

griss
07/17/2002, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Carlos
Just glue it to a piece of gravel and put it in the tank and it will encrust in a week or so.Carlos

Bingo. I have small pieces of acros and montis growing all over my sand because of my carlessness when working in the tank:D

Griss

ReeferMac
07/17/2002, 02:26 PM
Hehe, I actually started a small coral off of a splinter from a Frag... Was at a friends house while he was doling out a piece of his tan/purple-rimmed Cap, and when he broke off a frag for someone else, a tiny sliver of it broke with the frag... I wasn't in line to get a piece of the coral, but when he said he was just going to toss it into the tank and let it become part of the sandbed, I piped up.

When I say this piece was small, I mean small. It couldn't have been any bigger than a piece of my fingernail I regularly chew off... I mean tiny. Not even an inch long, maybe a 2-3 polyps on it...

Took a year, but

See it here (http://reef.myip.org/7.12.02/red_cap_purplerimmed.JPG)

The one on the left. Not too bad for a scrap someone was going to throw away!

- Mac

MtnDewMan
07/18/2002, 08:51 PM
Montipora Capricornus grows like a weed for me. I started with a 1" frag, it now is over 9"x9"x5" deep ... needless to say very large in my tank. I fragged off many 1/2" to 1" pieces a while ago for friends in the area, I am sure they will all survive :)

Here's the piece as of a few days ago.

http://www.fitermania.com/75gallonreef/images/7-14-02_monti_cap_top_view.jpg

chriss
07/18/2002, 09:01 PM
thanks for all the replys. Makes it tempting to break some more :D .. (just kidding)

Another question though, I ran out of I can't pull my rocks out to superglue my 'frag' because they are permanently attached to pvc - and I'm out of putty - if i just lay him on top of a high rock do you think he'll survive and grow or do I need to get some more putty?

Thanks again,
Chris

MtnDewMan
07/18/2002, 09:11 PM
you don't need to remove your rock from the tank. Use an ample amount of super glue gel on the frag out of the water, then put it in place in the tank on the rock where you want it, hold it in place for about 30 seconds and it should stick underwater :)

chriss
07/18/2002, 11:29 PM
Thanks, Will try that.
Chris