PDA

View Full Version : Rip Off!

DaveinKY
04/28/2000, 11:15 PM
Nanny
I really can't say for sure if the stand/canopy is the classic series or not. It doesn't look to be furniture grade. Thanks for the info.

Larry
They priced the tank by itself at $731.00. That's with the AGA overflow kits. That's $400 more than yours. Those overflow kits must be terribly expensive. :) I think I'll look elsewhere for a tank. Do you have the stand construction on your site? I'll just cruse over and look. Thanks.

------------------
Dave

Larry M
04/28/2000, 11:24 PM
Dave--As I recall those kits retail for about $50 each.

BTW, that $325 did not include any glass lids or lights. Some lfs's just automatically include those in their price bids.

------------------
Larry M

See my tanks at Northern Reef (http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/index.htm)

[This message has been edited by Larry M (edited 04-29-2000).]

DaveinKY
04/29/2000, 01:12 AM
Hey Gang!
My LFS wants $1900.00 for an AGA 125 with drilled overflows and oak stand and canopy. I'm not nor ever have been a fish store employee, but this sounds kind of expensive. Is this highway robbery or what? Is there any way to order an aquarium on-line with reasonable costs? Anyone ever tried this?

------------------
Dave

Nanny
04/29/2000, 03:27 AM
Hi dave, It really depends on which stand and canopy is in the mix. Some of them can in fact get pretty pricey.
The tank itself should run in the $500.00 range. However if your LFS has a Classic Oak Stand and canopy then not only is the price reasonable it's actually a deal.
The reason I say this is beacuse the Classic Oak series which was a beautiful stand for a store bought is now discontinued and almost impossible to find.
I have found however that I could get a good carpenter to duplicate the look of the stand and canopy,build it to a much sturdier level and still save a considerable amount of $$..Pat

[This message has been edited by Nanny (edited 04-29-2000).]

Larry M
04/29/2000, 06:11 AM
Dave--I just set up a 125. I paid $325 for the tank itself. It has the corner overflows, but I didn't order the AGA plumbing kits. I used the Durso standpipes and they work better.
I also built my own stand and hood. If you don't feel up to this, I agree with Nanny--find someone who can build it for you. I've got probably $150 in my stand and $50 in the hood.

------------------
Larry M

See my tanks at Northern Reef (http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/index.htm)

Snailman
04/29/2000, 01:31 PM
With prices like that just bite the bullet and get an Oceanic. :) Larry is right I recently got a reef ready AGA 120 for $299. That was just a tank. I am building the stand and hood. It won't be real fancy because it is for a refugia in the basement. :)

BristolWorm
04/29/2000, 02:52 PM
I would look around for a used tank. Large tanks usually mean good deals. Of course you have to be careful. I got a AGA 180 with stand, 6x96PC Hamilton ABS hood, ETS style skimmer, 2 pumps, 250lbs rock, UV filter, WetDry, various powerheads and heaters, top off unit, glass tops, power strips... I may be missing some small stuff (oh chemicals) for a whole $1400. I had to drive to Atlanta from St. Louis for it, but hey what a road trip. Went with a fellow reefer from the area... another story for another time.

Later,

ladyballplayer
04/29/2000, 04:17 PM
I went to my LFS this afternoon and asked about a 125 pre drilled with the built in overflows. Tank alone - they wanted $475. So I guess I should be looking for a better deal. Ariound here I can find large tanks but I really want the corner overflows. I think it will make my life easier.

------------------
LadyBallPlayer
http://www.geocities.com/ladybeachlover

Rick O
04/29/2000, 04:41 PM
Dave,

Would you be willing to drive to Atlanta for a good deal?

LBP,

The corner overflows add a lot to the price.

Rick

Doug
04/29/2000, 06:19 PM
Hi Dave,

I priced a 125g AGA about 6 weeks ago here in Chicago and they wanted $945.00 for the tank (without overflows) and the fancy oak stand and matching canopy. This also included the glass tops and free delivery.

HTH

Doug

------------------
Doug's Reef and Fish Page (http://38.222.244.200/dougw)

Fishwife
04/29/2000, 06:30 PM
Ladyballplayer - You are in a pricey area for tank supplies. Make the trip up to the Baltimore area and go to Aquarium Center. I've seen some good prices there. If you're up to it, the ride to That Fish Place near York, PA might be worth it. They have great prices on dry goods and tanks. I wasn't impressed with their livestock, though.

------------------
Fishwife

"By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea..."

Psyduck
04/29/2000, 08:14 PM
Youch, that sounds high. I got a 90 gal glass with cherry oak stand and canopy, very high quality, for $500. That seems very very high, but I guess it depends where you live. Mine is also not drilled, I had to use an overflow box.

RCraw45425
04/29/2000, 08:33 PM
Hey Rick, I'm in Columbus, what kind of deal are you talking about? I know some folks who are looking for setups. Also, what LFS' do you frequent up there? Robin

------------------
tank at: members.xoom.com/jimhobbs/simba.htm (http://members.xoom.com/jimhobbs/simba.htm)

DaveinKY
04/29/2000, 10:28 PM
Hi Gang,
From all the replys, I guess it's as bad some other places as it is here. This LFS also priced me a 180 Oceanic with built-in overflows for $1199.00 today-tank only. I think I might try a smaller tank for now, maybe a 90 gal.

Larry,
I asked them about not taking the glass lids and lights, but the guy said it would only make a $40 or $50 dollar difference.

Rick O
It would have to be a great deal for the trip from Eastern KY to Atlanta.

It seems that the problem here is very little demand. I guess the rural areas call for more expensive deliveries, hence more expensive equipment. Also, the used market here is poor at best. I guess the "Reef Bug" hasn't hit here quite as hard in this state as some of the others. Thanks for all the replys.

------------------
Dave

Rick O
04/30/2000, 05:38 AM
Hi Robin,

I have an Oceanic 120RR on order, but I've been thinking about getting a 180 that they already have in stock. The store is Marine Fish in Marietta and they stock new and used large tanks and have good prices. They even have a 300 tank, stand, and canopy in stock. If you're interested I'll e-mail you the prices they've offered me. I've shopped all the LFS up here and right now they have the best selection of livestock and pretty good prices. Not as good as MO but if you only want 1 fish it's cheaper than MO with shipping. BTW, I'm origionally from Columbus. I lived on Auburn Ave behind Cross Country Plaza Shopping Center. Do you know where that is?

Rick

[This message has been edited by Rick O (edited 04-30-2000).]

RCraw45425
04/30/2000, 07:47 AM
Hey Rick, I sure do, my husband and I both are graduates of Columbus College, aka Cody Road High. BTW, if you were into reefs when you live here, Gary has reopened Aquatics Unlimited. He's had some good looking stuff so far, best selection of corals in town. Can you tell me the easiest way to get to Marine Fish? Robin

------------------
tank at: members.xoom.com/jimhobbs/simba.htm (http://members.xoom.com/jimhobbs/simba.htm)

Rick O
04/30/2000, 10:04 AM
Robin,

LOL, I never heard it called Cody Road High. I went to Hardaway. We moved away in 1973 when I was 13. I'll e-mail you a map and the address for Marine Fish.

Rick

dragon0121
04/30/2000, 01:28 PM
daveinKY,
Talk to your LFS owners and get a little rapport going. Tell them you want to set up a 180 and will need lots of supplies from them and of course fish and corals. I did this with the LFS owner here in Topeka and he sold me the 180g RR Oceanic tank for $850, I also got 750 lbs. of Caribsea Aragamax sugar sand for $265. I know that sounds like a lot, but I looked at getting HD sand and adding in delivery it would have run $200+. For $65 more I picked it up when I needed it and didn't have any hassles! :D

DaveinKY
04/30/2000, 06:40 PM
Dragon,
Good idea. I think I'll try that one. I usually buy all my livestock there anyway. Might just work. Thanks.

------------------
Dave

Lars E
05/01/2000, 10:04 AM
I just picked up my 180 Oceanic RR on Friday. I paid $646.99 for the tank, and $260.99 for the Oceanic RR tall pine stand.

Oceanic has since raised their prices, so expect about $100 more than I paid. But that's still low.

I was also quoted some crazy prices for tanks. The store down the street from the one I got mine wanted $1200 just for the tank.

Lars.