PDA

View Full Version : Xenia

Ocean Image
07/11/2002, 08:33 PM
I will be attending the next meeting on the 17th, if all goes well I would like to join the club. I have been looking for some Xenia elongata for a few months now and cannot find any (I can't find any type of Xenia). If anyone in the club has some I would like to talk about them. Also any good LFS in the area?
:wavehand:

henkelsfamily
07/12/2002, 05:18 AM
I do not have any Xenia due to a bad experiance withthem growing like weeds but the Hidden Reef has a whole bunch of them if you do not mind paying like 30 clams. Looking forward to meeting you on the 17th.

Walter

JRegs
07/12/2002, 12:13 PM
You want xenia....you got xenia. I'll bring it to the meeting.

amonhen
07/12/2002, 01:25 PM
Well, JREGS beat me to it--I've got plenty of xenia as well. If his system crashes between now and the meeting, drop me a line. I've got aiptasia in my system, but I have xenia growing on the glass of my tank, and I can scrape off a frag which shouldn't have any infestation. Just attach to your rock with a rubber band, remove the band in 3 days (that's how I do all my xenia fragging).

--Jeff

CherryCat
07/12/2002, 01:39 PM
i've been thinking about adding some and, well, this is as good a time as any. can i get some, too, please??

Ocean Image
07/12/2002, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the offers, I can't wait to meet everyone at the meeting. :D

Chris

Jon
07/12/2002, 09:20 PM
well..... um..... I know I've heard all the stories, the problems, the warnings, but well if either Jeff or John you feel you might have a bit extra I'd like to try some out as well. I've still got some open spaces and I could use a nutrient sink.

BTW, I've got a few mushrooms floating around in the tank if anyone wants some?

Thanks,

Jon...........

amonhen
07/15/2002, 08:12 AM
Once again, I'm afraid I am going to have to miss this months meeting. If you want xenia from me, post here and I'll get back to you when I return (7/25).

--Jeff

CherryCat
07/15/2002, 12:45 PM
bummer, jeff ...

john, if you have enough xenia to go around i'll still take some from ya. if not, i'll wait til jeff gets back ...

jon, i'll take the 'shrooms, please ...

Jon
07/15/2002, 01:11 PM
JC, no problem, you got shrooms.......

John, ya same thing on the xenia if you got extra I'll take it otherwise we can do it some other time. Thanks,

Jon........

FishTri
07/17/2002, 11:03 AM
Jeff,

With the addition of Walter's RO/DI unit after tonight's meeting, I'll be ready to start adding corals to my (new and first!) tank.

Is xenia a good one to start with for a rookie? If so, I'm right around the corner, maybe we could meet and I could get a piece?

Thanks.

-Alan

FishTri
07/17/2002, 11:04 AM
Jeff,

With the addition of Walter's RO/DI unit after tonight's meeting, I'll be ready to start adding corals to my (new and first!) tank.

Is xenia a good one to start with for a rookie? If so, I'm right around the corner, maybe when you get back we could meet and I could get a piece?

Thanks.

-Alan

amonhen
07/26/2002, 08:44 AM
Alan,

I think xenia is a good first coral. Keep in mind that it seems to do better in some tanks than others. The reasons for this are not clear to me yet, but my best guess is that is does better in 'dirty' tanks where nutrients are a bit higher (I have read that people have actually used it for nutrient export). I also think that the pulsing behavior is a good monitor for water alkalinity. e-mail me (amonhen@hotmail.com) and we can arrange for you to get as much as you want.

--Jeff