PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant dwarf or just Fat?

Greenwater
07/11/2002, 08:16 AM
This may seem like a stupid question, but the male in this picture continues to get bigger and bigger but it does not really seem like it is in his pouch. He eats so much brine shrimp that it is amazing he does not pop. While the others peacefully wait at their hitching post, he cruises around the tank finding all that he can. Is it possible that Dwarves can overeat? Or does he look like he just has a bunch of babies in his pouch. Sorry if the picture is not clear enough to tell.
He has been getting larger for the last week or so, so I know that if it is pregnancy, I should know within a week, right?

I initially tried to post this at Seahorse.org but I could not determine how to link the photo without hosting it somewhere.

mystari
07/11/2002, 07:17 PM
I am pretty sure you have a fat little girl there!! Now IF I did it right there should be a picture of my little pregnant guy and a girl. If you look closely you can see where the tummy meets the tail/back area @ a 90 deg angle, this is the female.

I got 8 dwarfs from FC and only 1 was a male, he has just gotten big enough to get pregnant.....

Tari

Punkin
07/11/2002, 07:26 PM
Great picture, Tari. I have dwarfs too, and I thought Greenwater had a girl pony there, but wasn't sure enough to say positively.:o

Greenwater
07/12/2002, 07:54 AM
So is there a problem that she is getting so large?
Can they overeat or get constipated?

Maybe my eyes just aren't that good, but I sure have a hard time telling the 2 sexes apart.

Thanks for the information!

mystari
07/12/2002, 07:37 PM
Shouldn't be a problem, she is probably just growing. I have 7 girls, they range from fat little tubby things to more slender body types. I think it is an indivdual thing, just like people are all different!!

I don't think they overeat or get contipated, but I have heard of some horses (not sure if dwarfs or not, just horses) getting blockages from snicking up things, but I believe it is really rare. Just keep an eye on her, if she eats normal and acts normal things sould be ok, you just got yourself a rolly polly!!

Punkin, thanks on the compliment, it takes MANY to get a few good ones.

Greenwater, don't feel bad, I have a really hard time too, they only reason I could tell the difference if 'cause the little guys pouch just keeps expanding and expanding. Someone at seahorse.org recommended getting either a magnifying glass or a pair of the cheapo reading glasses to magnify them so you can see their teeny tiny tummies.

mystari
07/12/2002, 07:45 PM
Shouldn't be a problem, she is probably just growing. I have 7 girls, they range from fat little tubby things to more slender body types. I think it is an indivdual thing, just like people are all different!!

I don't think they overeat or get contipated, but I have heard of some horses (not sure if dwarfs or not, just horses) getting blockages from snicking up things, but I believe it is really rare. Just keep an eye on her, if she eats normal and acts normal things sould be ok, you just got yourself a rolly polly!!

Punkin, thanks on the compliment, it takes MANY to get a few good ones.

Greenwater, don't feel bad, I have a really hard time too, they only reason I could tell the difference if 'cause the little guys pouch just keeps expanding and expanding. Someone at seahorse.org recommended getting either a magnifying glass or a pair of the cheapo reading glasses to magnify them so you can see their teeny tiny tummies.

Greenwater
07/15/2002, 08:01 AM
Thank you Mystari for the information.
She is very active and I suppose she just has a little bit of a weight problem.
I actually have a magnifying glass that I have tried to check out the horses with, but alas they all look so similair. I guess if one of the 8 horses start having a swollen pouch like in your picture I will definately know that he is a male.

Thanks again!