PDA

View Full Version : Macropharyngodon question for Henry

Gary Majchrzak
07/11/2002, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the article on Leopard wrasses, Henry.{As you may recall I've maintained my M.meleagris for close to 5 years.}
You've helped me conclude mine is a mature female. In the description of this species you mention that unlike most leopard's, the common or "Guinea Fowl" leopard wrasse is not haremic in nature.
Would you believe it to be safe to introduce others of this species {or similar}into my 220 reef system with my big female?
If it is safe, would you share your recommendations with me?
I have ample food supply occuring in my system to support at least two more leopards, I believe. Thanks again, "Another Reef Fish Fan", Gary

hcs3
07/12/2002, 03:55 PM
Would you believe it to be safe to introduce others of this species {or similar}into my 220 reef system with my big female?

absolutely. they are not haremic, but they tolerate members of their genus and species rather well. just don't mix males.

If it is safe, would you share your recommendations with me?

recommendations on what? i'd obtain another female or two if you prefer. best to add them either before or after the lights turn on.

HTH

henry

Gary Majchrzak
07/12/2002, 10:49 PM
Thanks once more for all the info on Macropharyngodon species wrasses,Henry.

Gary Majchrzak
07/22/2002, 07:58 AM
Update on "leopards in my reef":
I have added an immature M. negrosensis into the system with my big established female M. meleagris.
Unbelievably, they could care less about one anothers' presence!
My other wrasses and dottybacks ALWAYS had nasty exchanges with my M meleagris, but NO agression between two different leopard wrasse species in the same aquarium for two weeks !
Next I plan on introducing an immature M. meleagris and hopefully cause my big female to change sex!
Thanks, Henry!
I'm looking forward to any info on wrasses of the genus Anampses that anyone can exchange...........

hcs3
07/23/2002, 07:00 PM
hi gary

I have added an immature M. negrosensis into the system with my big established female M. meleagris.

i had the same exact experience as you with the same 2 fish. infact, i also had a potters leopard in there as well.

how's the black leopard doing?

henry

Gary Majchrzak
07/24/2002, 12:25 AM
As soon as the kids give me a break from "Monopoly" I'll post a pic.The new addition is getting FAT!
She was in good shape and eating at the dealer for several weeks after arrival,but starting to get thin in the small holding tank.
Your "Reefkeeping Online Magazine" article was instrumental in convincing me to "toss her in"!
The established Leopard Wrasse does not even look her way. Amazing!
I've had Dottybacks and 6-Line wrasses harrass my "big leopard" {she would swipe back at them} but these two Macropharyngodon are getting along GREAT.Absolutely NO AGGRESSION.
Once in a great while- an Anthias will make a bluff run at the new Black Leopard.
Other than that, she's a 'natural fit' into my community of reef fishes! THANKS, Henry!

hcs3
07/24/2002, 12:28 AM
gary

glad to hear i could help!

get me a good pic and maybe i can toss it into the column ;)

henry