PDA

View Full Version : powder blue????

12/03/2006, 07:10 PM
There yesterday...gone today....mysteriously disappeared. He was not a small fish. Lots of places for him to get stuck but unlike him to miss a meal. Dissapointed as this was one of my most favorite fish. Weird to lose fish and have corals grow like mad.....anyways get to think about a new fish after the holidays now.....any suggestions?

t5Nitro
12/03/2006, 10:14 PM
Are you kidding? I really liked looking at him too whenever I was there. I couldn't find my gramma either, he was near a rock in back but tight to the top of it, look around with a flashlight like that maybe. Thats a bummer if you really lose him :(

t5Nitro
12/03/2006, 10:18 PM
Oh ya, if it were another fish I would get another one, mainly because tangs are my favorite and because powder blue is one of the top ones I like, purple, powder blue, black, sailfin.
If you want something different, a moorish idol would be cool.

specsirl
12/03/2006, 11:02 PM
Sorry to hear that Steve. Hopefully you will find him.

12/04/2006, 08:18 AM
No dice this am.....still missing. Really sucks.....especially since I saw him eating and acting normal sat afternoon.

t5Nitro
12/04/2006, 06:17 PM
You do half a LOT of rocks and holes in there, he has to be in there Steve. Is the hole to the sump big enough? Check in the sump? The only thing I can think of if he is actually gone and no where in there at all is if your anemone ate him. That anemone is HUGE but the mouth isn't. That powder blue was big too, or wasn't small anyway, I don't really think the anemone could have ate him. If he did eat the powder blue, the anemone might split perhaps? I read if you feed them heavily they will split. I guess one way to find out if it actually does split, or get any idea if thats what happened.

12/04/2006, 07:33 PM
Nope, anenome is out of the question....that did not happen. He must be in a rock somewhere. No sign of him at tonights feeding. He is a goner....snails and crabs get a gourmet meal I guess. :(

t5Nitro
12/04/2006, 07:39 PM
I would still look with that flashlight, has to be in there somewhere and he was looking really good too, I would think it's stuck but who knows what happened. Thats a bummer. Going to try another one?
By the way Steve, check your E-mail.

SW1TCH
12/04/2006, 11:00 PM
Sorry to hear about the fish. Do you have any star fish? my star fish ate my coral beauty angel that was about 2" big. that was a 12.00 meal for the star.

t5Nitro
12/04/2006, 11:08 PM
I don't think a starfish could have ate his powder blue tang. Check out his gallery, it is pretty big.

specsirl
12/05/2006, 02:08 AM
did he maybe somehow jump out and one of the dogs ate him?

sarduci
12/05/2006, 08:21 AM
Sorry about your PBT. Try looking behind your stand or your tv. Found my firefish about 4 feet away from my tank under a chair. No other pets in the house at the time.

12/05/2006, 10:35 AM
Once you guys see my tank you will see that jumping out would be a very small percentage of happening. There is a 1" gap in the back. There are no starfish in that system anymore as I removed the killer a while back....he was taking down fish. Looked behind the stad with flashlight and nothing. Waiting for a spike in my system....but I do not think I will see one with the load I have and the filtration capacities.

I may just try a regal again....powder blue is beautiful, but they have a hard time making it long term. maybe a yellow and a regal....going to be a few months though.

t5Nitro
12/05/2006, 05:40 PM
I would get a black tang if I were you :lol:

Fishfirst
12/06/2006, 11:41 AM
lol I'm sure his sailfin wouldn't like that!

sarduci
12/06/2006, 01:23 PM
I said the same thing about the 1/4" gap in my glass top but I still had a firefish jerky stick on the floor. If it's back in the rock work you have, that'll be a hard one to get at if you need to. Let me know if you need help if it comes to that.

12/06/2006, 02:39 PM
I think if it is in the tank...it should be able to handle the cycle. Thanks for the help......he would have had to be the perfect position to get out. There was nothing behind the stand. I double checked that last night again. I am trying to chalk this one up to old age....don't really know how old he was but I had him for a year anyways...he was the largest tang I have ever had.

t5Nitro
12/06/2006, 08:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8692768#post8692768 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sarduci
I said the same thing about the 1/4" gap in my glass top but I still had a firefish jerky stick on the floor. If it's back in the rock work you have, that'll be a hard one to get at if you need to. Let me know if you need help if it comes to that.
Ya, but you have a firefish and he has a powder blue tang, big size difference.

t5Nitro
12/06/2006, 08:30 PM
I think a black tang in his size tank wouldn't matter. I saw tanks with zebrasoma tangs in smaller tanks I think, and around 4 tangs in it.

Barky
12/07/2006, 07:01 AM
Steve
sorry to here about about your Tang. My guess is that when it hid for the night it swam into a spot between coral and rocks and could not back out the next day. Strange though as they take up the same spot, territorial not likely to hide somewhere else everynight
I have seen my Tangs slide into some tight quarters but never had to help them get out.
I dought old age i had a Hipo for over 5 yrs, and was the size of anice bluegill!
Hang in there he might show up they are pretty durrable. Take a flash light and try to look up under everything if you can.
Brian

12/07/2006, 12:03 PM
Going to go in tonight to see if I can find him....but I do not want to create an avalanche......

Fishfirst
12/07/2006, 02:59 PM
"I think a black tang in his size tank wouldn't matter. I saw tanks with zebrasoma tangs in smaller tanks I think, and around 4 tangs in it."

Four zebrasoma tangs and two are two different scenarios... these fish spread their aggression when there are more individuals. :) Plus taking a chance like that with a $200 fish is probably not economical.

Steve, just wondering what fish you were lookin' for... I had a guy asking me if we took fish at petco, I asked him what type... he said he had a large naso and some other type of tang... if I see him around again I'll get his number for ya.

bignick
12/07/2006, 03:14 PM
That sucks. Sorry to hear that. I had a similar incident only with a naso tang and a Copperband Butterfly.

12/08/2006, 01:13 PM
Let me know fishfirst....I may be interested.

Fishfirst
12/08/2006, 01:55 PM
will do steve

t5Nitro
12/20/2006, 08:16 PM
Find him yet?

12/20/2006, 10:03 PM
Never found him....scavengers must have took care of him. Saw no cycle at all. No fish for a while...I have to do some trimming on the corals...need some swimming room. ;)

t5Nitro
12/21/2006, 05:53 PM
Trimming I hear? Haha, I could help you clear those corals out and accidently take home about 10 ;)