PDA

View Full Version : I Just Got My First Octo!

Asterix
07/10/2002, 09:01 AM
Well, It came in about an hour ago from Fishsupply.com, I have it sitting in a bucket with a slow drip from a 1\4 airline tube! This thing is so cool! Iam getting a digital camera to take pics of my octo and his setup. Its mantle is about the size of a grape, with 4" arms. I am going to try feeding it a few ghost shrimp and a stupid red legged hermit from my reef tank and see what happens! Thanks for all of your help getting this far, its my first ceph!:) :) :) :D

OctoMonkey
07/10/2002, 09:10 AM
... and is it a bimac?????

hehehe, the fun part is getting them actually into the tank once acclimatised! :)
C

cephalopoder
07/10/2002, 09:39 AM
Bimacs are a intertidal species and very hardy. I have just opend the bag and just droped them right into the tank before with out a problem.
A little acclimation is allways good though.
chris

Asterix
07/10/2002, 10:04 AM
OctoMonkey...You couldnt have been more right! It took about 5 minutes of work to get him into the tank! He sure put up a fight...I just eventually gave up and just let him swim out the bucket...But I had to get some of that dirty water in my tank...Oh well... I am pretty sure it is a bimac, I belive I have seen his False eye, Pics will be coming in a few hours I am taking them on my lunch break -

OctoMonkey
07/10/2002, 10:25 AM
Nice one! Playing with an octopus on the work's money :)

Yeah, they do stick to the buckets and make it more difficult. The last octo I got was inside a plastic cup with holes all around it and then inside a bag. So al li had to do was take off th elid and put the cup into the aquarium..... much easier.

Just a quick tip, You should probably avoid putting on the tank lights and mucking about in the tank for a bit while it settles in. They can be pretty stressed during transport. Likewise with a potential camera flash. I had one that i took a pic of and that was the only time i seen it ink, when the flash went off.

Keep us up to date..... also give it a while before offering food and perhaps offer the first feeding on a stick or rigid airline tube?

Colin