PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Wrasse

SweetJesus
07/10/2002, 12:45 AM
M. meleagris
I was actually lucky enough to find a perfect specimen as a substitute on my LFS's order. I did not know much about it when it came in so I came home and read up on it. The next morning I called them immediately and had them try to feed the fish. It ate a little bit they said. I was off for a 30 minute drive to pick it up. I finally got it home to the aquarium. 90 gallon AGA RR, that had sat empty for 2 months after I moved it and it crashed. So I knew the critter population was up and there had been no predation in it for 2 months. It immediately exhibited the behavior in your article by feeding on the live rock. I tried frozen brine and mysis and it would eat it only to spit it back out. This lasted for almost a week. Now it is eating mysis with no problem. He has adjusted to the tank lighting cycle perfectly.
I feel lucky to have gotten this fish. Your article concerned me about the intestinal parasites. I had no need to quarantine and did not treat for anything. Do you think this will be a future problem? This fish had not gotten the male coloring yet. Should I wait until it does mature into a male before getting a female? Additionally I believe it will be impossible to get another one in such a fashion so mail order would be the only option. Having an established one in the reef tank: do you think this would help the new arrival learn to eat the frozen food? Or should I not even consider getting a mail order one at all? because of the risk of damage?

Feeronan
07/10/2002, 10:33 AM
First thank you for the Leopard Wrasse article.

I was lucky (or unlucky because now I am obsessed with it :D ) to see a M. meleagris "once". I have been reading and researching their care, general requirements and compatibility ever since (almost 4 months). I am more confident in my efforts thus far after reading your article and comparing it to the setup I have begun.

Availibility at best is scarce. Mailorder seems to be about the only way to go for me. There was no mention of shipping size or maturity in you article. In my experience small juvenilles (1.5-2" or less) ship the best and acclimate to aquarium conditions faster than older, full sized adults. Your opinion/ experiences ?

You indicated that you have (or had) several of the leopards. Can you suggest a source that would be willing to ship per your recomendations in the article (ie 2" sand etc)?

More than anything else I just wanted to say thanks for writing the article.

hcs3
07/12/2002, 04:03 PM
Your article concerned me about the intestinal parasites. I had no need to quarantine and did not treat for anything. Do you think this will be a future problem?

watch the stomach closely. if the fish begins to loose weight, i'd treat for intestinal worms.

Should I wait until it does mature into a male before getting a female?

if you desire a second one, there is no reason to wait besides finding a healthy specimen. when (if) you find one, i'd snag it ASAP.

Or should I not even consider getting a mail order one at all? because of the risk of damage?

MO is not a great option for this fish genus. many suppliers do not even know how to ID some species, while others do not realize others species are available besides m. meleagris. if you decide to MO this genus, be sure to work with a supplier that is knowledgable on this genus.

There was no mention of shipping size or maturity in you article. In my experience small juvenilles (1.5-2" or less) ship the best and acclimate to aquarium conditions faster than older, full sized adults. Your opinion/ experiences ?

in most SW fish, juveniles ship better and acclimate quicker to captivity. leopard wrasses are not any different.

Can you suggest a source that would be willing to ship per your recomendations in the article (ie 2" sand etc)?

i cannot. i have not MO'd these fish in the past. i only purchase them when i find a healthy specimen in my LFS.

HTH

henry

SweetJesus
07/13/2002, 03:12 AM
The LFS has another one in thier tank. It is very calm and I personally watched it eat frozen brine. I may have to pick it up tomorrow!

hcs3
10/15/2002, 12:02 AM
did you get it? how is it doing?

SweetJesus
10/15/2002, 12:04 AM
Yes I did, over a 4 week time they got 6 in. my two are the only ones left. Thriving! Dang they get fat! perfect reef fish.

hcs3
10/15/2002, 12:10 AM
awesome! how about some pics?

SweetJesus
10/15/2002, 12:17 AM
Now your asking for miracles! they are never together, and every time i take a pic, it is a quick one, because they never hold still!

I had a few bad ones, but I have been meaning to take a few pics of the PBT. So tomorrow when the lights come on I will take some, I owe a few pics of the purple and green hammer as well

SweetJesus
02/25/2003, 07:41 PM
dang i need a better camera!

http://www.stoneyreef.com/images/leopard.jpg

w2
02/25/2003, 09:39 PM
One time, I had an absolute perfect gentleman give me a Leopard Wrasse. I hope he's not missing it too bad. 'Course, if asked, and he is willing to help catch, I think it would look real nice in his new-ish 180 gal. tank.....Let me know what you think, Henry. :D