PDA

View Full Version : Water Change question

Djm9288
07/09/2002, 08:01 PM
Okay, I have had my tank for a month and everything is cycled. I have 20lbs of LR and 2 false percs, some hermits and snails and I might get some corals in a few months. So if thats the max. bioload, how ofted will i have to do water changes? Should i stick to once a week or what?
Thanks
Daniel

Pinecone_Jeff
07/09/2002, 09:23 PM
I think to best figure this out, you need to take a look at what your nutrient export mechanisms are.

Do you have a skimmer?
Do you have a refugium?
Are you growing some form of macro algae?

If you've got some or all of these, then water changes can most likely be kept to a minimum, like every month to two months. Just keep an eye on your tank. If you start to notice more nuisance algae or cyno growing, then you might want to step up your water changes to every two weeks or until the bloom is over.

For my 10 gal, I do a water change whenever I trade off my excess caulerpa, which is about every 3 weeks. The amount of water is just what is needed to cover the caulerpa in a bag. That seems to be enough for me.

Anyone have other thoughts about water changes? Frequency, how much, or even if it's needed all that much? Anyone go without water changes for extended periods of time?

Physh1
07/10/2002, 12:37 AM
Once a month around 20-25% should be fine. Usually not any reason to do more unless an emergency comes up. Too many water changes too quickly, or too much water at one time, can throw the balance of the tank off. Tanks do need stability in water quality to be real healthy. Doing constant changes (weekly in this case) can keep the tank from really maturing well.

Just my opinion. Many will agree. You didn't mention a tank size but even my fully loaded 20 only gets a monthly change.

PineconeJeffs comments are important too....it can all depend on equipment and filters. As a general rule of thumb monthly is good.

Cameron

Freckles
07/17/2002, 03:49 PM
I do a 10% water change every week on my 20g.... I am skimmerless, so that is why I do more frequent water changes.

clowdy
07/17/2002, 04:52 PM
i have a 7g and frankly if i do a 25% every other week i am VERY impressed with myself:rolleyes:

really it is based on what the individual tank needs. obviously a heavily stocked tank is going to need more attention that a sparse one. i like to avoid the weekly change becuase i think it can be less stable. but the best way to guage it is by looking at your corals. if they all look great then leave well enough alone, and do a once a month change to keep the nutrients at a good level.