PDA

View Full Version : My HUGE 42 Gallon project...

teto_78
11/22/2006, 10:04 PM
So here goes nothing, I know what you think, a 42 gallon...? well to me it looks huge.... And I'm so anxious to get it started, but I want to do it right, so as much as it may hurt, I'm not cutting any corners, well not as many as usual atleast.

First off, here's my sketch...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/scan.jpg

feel free to comment on it, photoshop it, anything to make my future fishies live a happier and more comfortable life...

Here what I have so far....

42 gallon 90cmX45cmX45cm

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2476.jpg

Stand

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2470.jpg

And here's what I have in the mail on its way to Okinawa

AquaC Urchin Pro w/Mag 3

http://www.marinedepot.com/IMD/150/ACUPB.jpg

jeffb3t
11/23/2006, 09:05 AM
This is going to be a fun project. I would recommend looking into T-5s for better light coverage vice the MH. You have a center brace to deal with on that tank and you will have a shadow if you run MH unless you run two bulbs. I have the same tank that will be used for a sump on my 75. I had it set up for a while witht he intention of making a SPS only tank until the 75 came into the picture. 4 t-5s really looked good on it and provided great and even light coverage. Also, the chiller should never be in the stand. 1st it needs to expel the hot air to work good and 2 if you have a leak, it's toast. I also saw that you have a note regarding crushed coral. I don't recommend it as you will end up with high nitrates and one huge algae problem because of it. Just keep your baffles empty. with the exception of the fuge. You can use some fine sand in it if you wish. Also, Post some demensions of your stand. It makes it easier for us to help you design your plumbing. Is is made from particle board? If so, I would recommend a fiberglass resin coat on the inside to keep it in good shape in case of leaks.

jasalmanza
11/23/2006, 03:41 PM
great post jeff, I agree. I would recommend drilling your tank. That is the one thing I didn't do to mine when I reset it, and I still regret not doing it. If you need help, I know jeff has done it before with some success, and I belive mike has also. I really streamlines a tank and gets rid of the PVC look! Overall great design, appears well thought out. How big of a sump are you going to be able to stash in that stand? That will be your only concern, well that and now creativly hiding the chiller. Great job, keep us posted!

Jason

teto_78
11/23/2006, 08:15 PM
I really wanted Metal halides, and if I do, I would get a two bulb system. I always hear people saying how they regret not going that way, and I don't wanna run into having problems with my corals in the future either. As far as the brace, do you mean the brace on the tank cover...? Because I wasn't even thinking of putting the cover on the tank in the first place, is that a bad idea...?

And for the overflow box vs. drilling..

I've been debating on having the Lagoon guy drill the tank since he will be doing my sump/refugium in the first place. But I haven't asked him yet so I'm not sure, one of my friend's has some spare clear tubing he used for his tank, in case I did go that route.

And the sump will be roughly 20 gallons.

oh yeah.. return pump inside or outside of the sump, what do you guys think...?

teto_78
11/23/2006, 08:39 PM
For lighting, would buying a pendant like the one in this LINK (http://cgi.ebay.com/250-Watt-HQI-Metal-Halide-Pendant_W0QQitemZ110057878822QQihZ001QQcategoryZ46314QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) , be a good idea..? and then get a T-5 retrofit kit in there as well.

jasalmanza
11/23/2006, 09:23 PM
I like the pendant, and as for return pump, it really depends on the pump you buy, your space available and your plumbing plan. Think long and hard about the pump you want, and when you decide It's exactly what you need/want get the NEXT bigger one!! You can always throttle back the output if need be, and usually its only a matter of a couple dollars to go bigger.

Tell me about the clear tubing... what would you be using it for? I suggest hard plumbing everything in. If ANY light can get to the tubing eventually you will begin to grow algae, thus reducing flow adversely. Child proof everything, and always leave yourself a way out (true unions, ball valves, syphon breaks, etc.) I wasn't able to find the bulkheads I was looking for on this island, so keep that in mind. Mailorder will become your worst enemy!

Jason

jeffb3t
11/23/2006, 11:14 PM
I would go retrofit for the MH vice the pendant but that's just my opinion.. Then you hide all the lights inside of the hood and most of the wires as well. If you are interested in drilling the tank, I can do it for you. It will only cost you $8 for new bits since the ones I got are now toast after drilling the 75 and overflows. It will make plumbing much easier We can also build the inside overflow box. It's not hard to do and will create a cleaner look inside the tank. You are also not as restricted as far as the amount of water the overflow can handle. When I was talking about the center brace, I was referring to the black plastic rim on the top of the tank. That is what supports the walls from blowing out. Too much heat can cause issues with it but you will be fine with 2 MH as they won't be directly above that brace. You might consider going with a closed loop instead of a powerhead inside the tank. Stupid suction cups on the powerheads never work right and I have lost some nice coral as well as fish when the thing falls down. Are you having your sump custom made? If so out of what material? Glass or acrylic? Taking a 20gl glass tank and putting baffles in it might be a cheaper route.

Dastank
11/24/2006, 06:04 AM
How much is the lagoon guy charging you to do the sump?
tell ya what...We can build the sump at either my place or someone elses for the cost of materials and a good time. Jeff would probably also be very interested in doing it, and he has a little more free time on his hands, as it seems I never stop going somewhere/doing something. We just built a sump for a guy (who got banned from here) and its solid as a rock. We will be starting dastank (mike) his sump here within a few days. Getting materials...the acrylic is affordable but the glue is a tricky part, just gotta have someoen from the states send it to you. If you have $200usd -> convert it to yennies, to spend on acrylic, you can have a real nice sump.
I can cut it at the hobby shop on Kadena, no worries there.

As for lighting, it looks like you might live in town from those pics. 1. make sure your house can power the lights with everything else running, and 2. make sure you are aware of the electric bill thats about to be dropped on you. Ive been told of people who build tanks and get ready to fire them up and when they do, there A/C goes off, or lights flicker a little bit...something to think about.

Mike and Jeff both run t-5's over there tanks and they get GREAT growth from them, they are fairly cheap and cheap to run. Not to mention much cooler, so you could probably get away from yoru chiller needs as well. (thats alot of money savings there)

Keep us updated with your build. Check out dastanks build, his is comming together really really nice. Ohh yeah, one more thing, stay away from petbox and anything else (saltwater related) you might consider buying from there. a tank and carbon are about the only 2 saltwater related things I would purchase from the petbox.

-frank

Dastank
11/24/2006, 06:06 AM
hahaha. Hey mike your still signed in on my computer. OOps.

-I was like...wait a min, I know I posted in some other threads, and they arent showing that I did. And then I posted and was like...WHOA! mike posted at the same time....wait a min, my post isnt there...and then realized I was under mikes name.

ahh well! im logging you off my computer Mike. :lol:

teto_78
11/24/2006, 08:15 AM
Just got back from talking to the lagoon guy, and here goes nothing, I had talked to him before about my build and he said it would start at around 5,000 yen, meaning $50 USD. So today I go there with my sketches and measurements, 60cmLx35cmHx25cmW which translates into roughly 15 gallons, a couple baffles, the refugium area, and two more baffles on the way out, and he tells me it would be 7,000 yen total, ***? so I was a bit skeptical, until he proceeds to tell me it would be "so much" because he will have to re-inforce it, or brace it on the side so it doesn't bulge. this is about 1/3 of the price I was expecting to get quoted, and I've seen his work, which isn't bad at all, he's done everything in his shop himself. Oh yeah, he was trying to convince me into making it "the japanese way" which the water would flow from the bottom upward through the bed of coral and into the refugium area... what do you guys think about all this....?

BTW, he just got back from shopping for fish in Hong Kong, he's got some nice new fish and coral in there.

teto_78
11/24/2006, 08:34 AM
Frank, I really want to take you on that offer to do the drilling/overflow, can you tell me in more detail the exact things we will need...?

vest0830
11/24/2006, 08:50 AM
if he will do your sump for 7000y, thats building you a sump from scratch, I would jump all over that. As for drilling, pm Jeff. He has drilled glass a few times.

jeffb3t
11/24/2006, 10:06 AM
Drilling glass isn't hard if you have #1 time and #2 the right bits. Bits will cost you about $8 and a couple hours/beers. Your tank is kinda thin so we will go with a dremel. First thing we need to do is to discuss what your goal is as far as flow and max water capacity you need/ want. From there I will calculate the size overflow hole needed and the overflow box. We will need to order the glass for the overflow box and I can have that done in 1 day or less if needed. Basically, with a few hours of work we can have everything done.

jeffb3t
11/24/2006, 10:13 AM
Take a look at my 75 thread as well to see how I did my overflow. The way I drilled mine, I have no shadows due to an overflow box inside the tank. It's a simple design that will work well for any tank.

Dastank
11/25/2006, 08:33 AM
LOL!!!! I was reading through the threads tonight and all of a sudden "HEY, I DIDN'T WRITE THAT!" Good one Frank! At least you didn't get me banned!

MIKE

teto_78
11/25/2006, 08:13 PM
Very nice build jeff, where can I buy the Fiberglass resin, I wanna get started doing the inside real soon.

And for the lights, how's this...? 4 VHO retro (http://www.hellolights.com/4laaromo4lvb.html)

jeffb3t
11/25/2006, 10:32 PM
Fiberglass resin can be picked up at Makeman for about 1300 yen. Look for the stuff called polykyuto in the 1 liter can. Pick up extra hardener as well since the little bottle they give you isn't enough. The VHO set you were looking at is pretty good for the price. Personally VHO are a little too pink for my taste unless you suppliment them with either MH or T-5s. You will need to order the waterproof endcaps as well. One other thing to think about with the ARO retro kitis that the bulbs are wired in series meaning that if one bulb burns out, none of the lights will turn on. http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=PF5117 If you are set on VHO, this is what I recommend. It comes with the waterproof endcaps and end cap mounts and is cheaper than the ARO set if you figure in the price for the waterproof endcaps/mounts.

teto_78
11/25/2006, 11:15 PM
crap, i thought those WERE the T-5's, everybody seems to be recommending them vice the MH's, especially since I live offbase, so back to my search.

jeffb3t
11/25/2006, 11:41 PM
Check out tek units like these:

http://www.hellolights.com/362x39wtekli.html

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_lighting_fluorescent_sunlight_retrofit_kit_system.asp?CartId=

These are really good lights with good reflectors. the reflector is what makes or breakes a good T-5 system so don't skimp of cheap relectors.

jeffb3t
11/25/2006, 11:43 PM
If you get bored, stop on by my place. I have VHO, T-5's and MH lighting sets I can show you so you can get an idea of what will work best in you tank with regards to coloration, size, wiring etc before you place your order.

vest0830
11/26/2006, 12:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8619568#post8619568 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by teto_78
crap, i thought those WERE the T-5's, everybody seems to be recommending them vice the MH's, especially since I live offbase, so back to my search.

I will tell you this, if my orders to leave dont come through, I told my wife that I will put in an extension and we will move off base. I will sell my halides if I move off base.....for some T-5's

jeffb3t
11/26/2006, 12:06 AM
Frank, Why sell the MH if the Gov is paying the electricity? You just have to take a look at the circuits before you move in to make sure it will handle the load you need.

teto_78
11/26/2006, 07:13 AM
2 bulbs..? I was thinking 4 or 6... the more the better right....? would 6 be overkill...? or would it be more beneficial....?

4 and 6 Tek retro (http://www.globeaqua.com/teklight_lighting.html)

jasalmanza
11/26/2006, 03:26 PM
Dont do it frank....

Dastank
11/27/2006, 02:13 AM
I don't know how wide you tank is, but you might consider 4. Dana has 6 T5s over a 65 gallon, and can't run them all because his soft corals start melting.

I'm going to start with 4 and leave room if I need more.

jeffb3t
11/27/2006, 03:17 AM
His tank is 17.5 inches IIRC. I agree 4 would be plenty for that tank. You really won't have the room needed for 6 bulbs Besides 4 really lit it up for me when I had mine up.

teto_78
11/27/2006, 09:29 PM
Good call, will do the same then. All I need now, is the lights, and return pump.

jeffb3t
11/28/2006, 02:36 AM
A good size pump for that tank is about 800gph or at least it worked good for me. I also tapped off the return to feed the fuge area. Try to stay away from RIO as they tend to have issues. GenX and mags are good. Do you plan on going closed loop or are you still considering powerheads?

jasalmanza
11/28/2006, 05:53 AM
I'm running 2 mag 9.5s, and have no complaints yet, 1 year and counting....

teto_78
11/28/2006, 11:08 PM
Just Purchased two maxi-Jet 900's and a Mag Drive 5 for a return pump. So i guess closed loop is out of the question.

jasalmanza
11/28/2006, 11:19 PM
Not necessarily... be careful with this hobby, one morning you'll wake up and HAVE to have it!!!

teto_78
11/28/2006, 11:51 PM
OK, so this is what I have so far:

AquaC Urchin Pro w/Mag 3
http://www.reefgeek.com/product_images/aquac/urchin_b.jpg

Maxi-Jet Powerhead 900 qty.2
http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog3684/folder24579/img2812851med.jpg

Mag Drive 5 return pump
http://www.ponddoc.com/Store/Pumps/Submersible/PondMaster/AG02525.jpg

Plus ofcourse the tank itself, stand, and my refugium which is being built.

jeffb3t
11/29/2006, 03:17 AM
You are off to a great start. Again, consider a closed loop since you will get tired of the maxijets falling down after a few months. and it is easier to set up the closed loop during the initial set up than it is after the fact. The maxi's won't go to waste. they are good mixing pumps and are great for assisting in water changes.

teto_78
11/29/2006, 07:37 AM
Almost, forgot, here is the link to the 3D model of my sump/refugium, please feel free to suggest any changes. Oh yeah, numbers represent cm's not feet.

Sump/Refugium (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=d5d7b3b6c4346aa86df72fa07046e093)

jeffb3t
12/02/2006, 07:03 AM
That's gonna be a nice sump. Looks like plenty of room for the return area. So when are you going to have it built?

teto_78
12/02/2006, 08:06 AM
He's building a couple of tanks for a restaurant but should be done by mid week, so I should have it here within the next week or so.

jeffb3t
12/02/2006, 09:57 PM
Great, Then it's time to start thinking of the overflow and plumbing. You still considering the hang on overflow?

teto_78
12/02/2006, 10:06 PM
Yup, i want as much ofthose 42 gallons as I can get.....

teto_78
12/02/2006, 10:50 PM
Yup, i want as much ofthose 42 gallons as I can get.....

teto_78
12/03/2006, 09:05 PM
aahh, no, I take that back, I don't know... if I had it drilled, would I be able to surround it with Live Rock....? Because the way I have my reefscaping planned out, one corner of the tank would have a "pile up of rock right on the corner, so say... could I have the overflow at the corner and Live rock covering it in front....?

jeffb3t
12/04/2006, 02:50 AM
Yes you could but remember the overflow will stick out about 4 inches inside the tank if you go for an internal overflow. If you drill it, go with an external overflow so there will be no overflow box inside the tank. This is an example of what I'm talking about with an external overflow box:
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h115/jeffb3t/overflow-1.jpg
Everything is outside the tank so I can maximize volume and aquascape right up on the glass and not have any shadows from the overflow box.

teto_78
12/04/2006, 10:25 PM
Hmmmm, would it be possible to make it like that but in the back, slim but wide and deep...?

I don't want to put it on the side like jeff did, because that would take away the viewing from that whole side, and since I will be painting the back side blue for depth, why not ...?

what do you guys think about that idea, I'll try to Sketchup it here soon.

teto_78
12/04/2006, 11:08 PM
Here we go, something like this.....

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/overflow.jpg

jasalmanza
12/05/2006, 01:01 AM
been done a million times! you could even run it along the entire length of the back for optimal surface skim....

teto_78
12/05/2006, 01:23 AM
So why don't more people do it that way...? Is there any drawbacks.....?

And would you help me with it JeffB3T...?

jeffb3t
12/05/2006, 02:59 AM
I did mine on the side because my tank is a 3 way view room divider tank. That side will be completely concealed. Only drawback is it is a pain to drill glass. It takes lots of time. If you want to do it, I can help you out. We will need to figure out how big to make the overflow (Based off the bulkhead drain size), get the glass cut (there is a shop near my house), Drill the holes and silicone it on. It can be done in 1 afternoon. All it will cost you is a couple beers, a couple bits (i tore mine up) and some good conversation.

jeffb3t
12/05/2006, 03:12 AM
Oh, Best to do it at my place too if it's cool with you. I have a tendancy to forget half the tools needed when I work on things.?@

teto_78
12/05/2006, 07:25 AM
Sounds like a plan, and why not get the glass drilled at the glass shop....? will they not do it....?

jeffb3t
12/05/2006, 09:21 AM
They might but I never asked... They will have to have the bit to do it and it will probably cost considerably more than if I do it. Do you have the bulkhead already or are you going with local plumbing? PM me, we need to talk about some details of this overflow and what we will do to drill.

vest0830
12/05/2006, 10:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8641056#post8641056 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by teto_78
Almost, forgot, here is the link to the 3D model of my sump/refugium, please feel free to suggest any changes. Oh yeah, numbers represent cm's not feet.

Sump/Refugium (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=d5d7b3b6c4346aa86df72fa07046e093)

Just curious, how much is he charging you?

teto_78
12/05/2006, 11:14 PM
His first quote was 7,000 Yen, but I increased the size a bit so I'm thinking around 10,000 Yen.

vest0830
12/06/2006, 03:44 AM
including materials?

teto_78
12/06/2006, 07:58 AM
yup, he said materials would cost him around 5,000 Yen for the original sketch, so I'm thinking about 7,000 Yen for the sketch I took him later... But maybe that's including his "buddy" discount because I kinda know him well and he's been to my restaurant etc. etc.

jeffb3t
12/07/2006, 05:04 AM
You own a restaurant or work at one?

teto_78
12/07/2006, 05:33 AM
Both I guess....

jeffb3t
12/08/2006, 03:58 AM
Cool, That's gotta be a tough job though.

teto_78
12/08/2006, 05:16 AM
Ummm, yeah, especially since I'm still active duty, he he he.

teto_78
12/09/2006, 01:15 AM
So today I went to the glass shop and had purchased some glass and had it cut for my external overflow....

dimensions:

35cm x 45 cm
35cm x 10 cm (qty 2)
45cm x 10 cm

Price: 1000 yen, $9.00

In my opinion, very very cheap. Very nice old man, and had it ready and neatly packed for me in about 30 mins.

teto_78
12/09/2006, 08:13 PM
Today I painted the backside of the Tank, for that depth look...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/Paint.jpg

jeffb3t
12/12/2006, 02:31 AM
I got your overflow put together, drilled and the PVC already put in. Just need to drill out the two holes on your tank and remove that nice blue coat of paint.

vest0830
12/12/2006, 06:37 AM
you dont have that mexican restraunt do you????

teto_78
12/12/2006, 08:59 AM
He He, lucky guess...? how the heck DID you know.....?

vest0830
12/12/2006, 05:23 PM
Im Frank. the guy with the blue honda hatch, junkyard racer on zeroyon (or any other car site for that matter) and it was a wild guess.

-and I havent heard of to many other active duty people who also run a restraunt.

I have been telling my wife ive been wanting to come back over there for some lunch or dinner! Its awsome!

teto_78
12/12/2006, 11:15 PM
Oh.. OK, I remember you.. sweet, sold my Silvia, got an SUV now..... I guess a lot of people from that car forum ended up going to the restaurant. Good to hear you have a tank as well, as you already know, Jeff is currently helping me with my latest upgrade... it's looking good too.

vest0830
12/13/2006, 03:13 AM
Sweet! Looks like a great build man!

jeffb3t
12/13/2006, 04:25 AM
Not looking as good as I hoped at this point. Working on one hole in the tank right now but very slow going. the bits are dull and it is taking forever. I have been working on the one hole for a while and still haven't hit halfway yet.

teto_78
12/13/2006, 05:44 AM
Jeff, what are you doing Saturday..? Is it cool if I come over...?

jeffb3t
12/13/2006, 08:15 AM
Yeah It's cool, You need to come to pick up your tank! Drilling is now done and the overflow will be on tomorrow.

jeffb3t
12/13/2006, 08:57 AM
Everything turned out fine except that big crack that runs diagonal on the back.

JK :D

teto_78
12/13/2006, 06:05 PM
Ha Ha Ha, I'm coming over with some beer....

jeffb3t
12/14/2006, 05:51 AM
Good, I need it. The overflow is on and silicone is now curing. A little trimming tomorrow and you are ready.

jeffb3t
12/19/2006, 03:53 AM
So come on man... I build this thing and yet you haven't posted pics yet. What's up?

vest0830
12/19/2006, 06:04 AM
or told me where to buy this acrylic at!

teto_78
12/19/2006, 08:22 AM
As soon as the paint dries, I'll get some pics and post them up..... Here's a couple pics of the mushrooms and pinks that you gave me for my little girl's Pico...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2511.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2531.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2550.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2558.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2510.jpg

Blennie's "mobile home"....

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2545.jpg

teto_78
12/19/2006, 08:32 AM
OK,OK.. I went outside to take a pic, BEFORE the painting is finished... 1 of 5 coats done, he he he...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2572.jpg

vest0830
12/19/2006, 05:56 PM
looks great! Cant wait to see it finished!!!!

Jeff give me some mushrooms about 6 months ago and they are starting to take over. Want a halide for that pics. :lol: (im serious)

teto_78
12/19/2006, 09:49 PM
Are you asking ME if I want a Halide...?

vest0830
12/20/2006, 03:20 AM
sure. its a 175w hamilton retrofit. no reflector, I just put a new bulb in it.

im pretty excited about your tank! looks like its comming along real nice!

teto_78
12/20/2006, 08:43 AM
OK, here we go... a couple of pics of the tank with it's newly installed 14 gallon overflow..... All hail the mighty Jeff.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2576.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2577.jpg

jasalmanza
12/20/2006, 09:00 AM
looks great! never seen a "viewable" overflow! I bet you could make that into a little fuge...

jasalmanza
12/20/2006, 09:03 AM
hey, wait a minute.... I thought you painted the thing before you installed the overflow? did you scrape the paint? were you having problems with it adhereing to the paint?

vest0830
12/20/2006, 10:39 AM
that tank is looking great!

teto_78
12/20/2006, 11:24 PM
Acetone + Jeff = no paint

jeffb3t
12/21/2006, 04:12 AM
Gotta love Acetone!!! Silicon will adhere to anything but for max hold power glass to glass is the way to go and no lead to contaminate your water. BTW, there is enough room for me to add a divider and create a small fuge if you are interested.

vest0830
12/21/2006, 05:14 AM
eh, IMO save the fuge for the sump below.

jeffb3t
12/21/2006, 05:20 AM
His sump should have plenty of room for a nice fuge but just a thought if he changes his mind

teto_78
12/21/2006, 05:50 PM
The main reason FOR the Sump, is the Refugium.... so that's not even an option.

Just started the piping last night but ended up missing some parts so I gotta make a trip to the hardware store....

jeffb3t
12/22/2006, 08:36 PM
Be prepared to make a few trips. You wil always forget something...

jasalmanza
12/22/2006, 09:19 PM
ALWAYS...!

jeffb3t
12/23/2006, 11:44 PM
So where are you now on your tank? Oh and did you pick up your sump yet?

teto_78
12/24/2006, 09:54 AM
man, one week he says, but it's ok, since I'm still waiting on my Protein Skimmer which is in the mail and the lights I haven't even ordered due to Xmas shopping.....

jeffb3t
12/26/2006, 03:27 AM
It's the holidays...he won't be finished until after Jan 5. take your time... Did you wet test the overflow yet? Do that before you do anything else. (not that I am paranoid that my glass skills aren't good or anything...)

teto_78
12/26/2006, 10:55 PM
overflow is a go.

first pair of T-5's now in the mail as well.

jeffb3t
12/27/2006, 04:08 AM
Great! Glad to hear the overflow doesn't leak. The bulkhead is th only thing I question when I build from glass as it is most prone to leaks

teto_78
12/30/2006, 07:38 AM
So I finally got it, very impressed with quality of work.. 8,500 Yen.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2586.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2597.jpg

jasalmanza
12/30/2006, 05:55 PM
Looks Great!

jeffb3t
01/01/2007, 11:21 PM
Very nice looking sump!

vest0830
01/02/2007, 03:01 AM
So where do you get this acrylic!

teto_78
01/02/2007, 07:44 AM
lagoon guy gets his own acrylic, very cheap, I'm assuming, don't know where... but the place that I've seen it , is called marunaka. Cheapest hardware store for anything IMO. out gate 2 kadena, make a left at 4 corners, past 85, past Autobacs, past McDonalds, it'll be on your left hand side, hardware store that is packed to the rim with people all the time.

vest0830
01/02/2007, 05:56 PM
Dam. Sweet! Thanks!

teto_78
01/04/2007, 09:40 AM
OK, so here's the latest....

Got my Urchin Pro PS on Tuesday, Bought some Makeman sand, rinsed until damn near clear, Bought some live rock at Coral Culture yesterday, put some water in the tank and it's a go.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2620.jpg

Had to Dremel about a half inch out of the eurobrace for the PS to fit in the sump

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2621.jpg

Hose on the return for ease of maintenance and reduce vibrations/noise

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2606.jpg

Overflow itself, a bit noisy at first, due to the amount of fall the water took, but reduced it significantly by adjusting the valve above the mag 5. Hopefully not putting too much stress on the pump itself.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2625.jpg

Now to the cool part, so I go to Coral Culture and Iwase tells me that the rock is not really live rock, but nonetheless, it was full of tubes and good color, cheap, etc. so I bought eight pieces, thinking if anything else, I'd seed it. I get home and put one in a steyrofoam box, gave it a shake to see what came off of it and voila !

Copepods, amphipods, micro stars, micro snails, all kinds of "live" stuff. So as far as I'm concerned, the rock he sells is live rock, minus coraline but literally every piece of rock had 40-80 mini-organisms in it, urchins and sponges etc.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2614.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2617copy.jpg

Now, I'll get some more "live" rock this weekend, start aquascaping a bit, wait some, put in a starter cleanup crew, wait some, complete the cleanup crew, install the T-5's, put in a blue damsel, wait some, then start putting in some frags.

Oh, yeah, when I got the rock at coral culture, he gave me as much saltwater as I could carry (60L), and even threw in a pulsating xenia... but he told me to keep it hush hush, and there I go putting it up on a message board, he he.

jeffb3t
01/05/2007, 03:32 AM
Dont add a damsel. they are a pain in the butt the LR itself will seed the tank and start the cycle. Just let it run by itself for a few weeks (with water testing)and slowly add livestock (clean up crew). Also, be careful with your powerhead near the sand like it is. if it sucks up sand, it can tear the impeller up.

teto_78
01/06/2007, 08:09 AM
Hey Jeff, remember what I told you about my Powerhead idea..? well it's done, and it looks great.... I'm gonna give it a couple weeks before I put it in. Which reminds me ...

Cycling....

If you get Rock which has been "cured" and is live, and you get water from the deep ocean, isn't the tank essentially cycled....?

Thoughts...? comments...?

Dastank
01/06/2007, 09:44 AM
Both my tanks were done the same way, live rock and live water. While the process was much milder and I think it only took a few weeks, they both cycled. I could tell by looking at the algae in the tank. For a few weeks some algae was growing and then one day it all disappeared. I tested too, but algae showed everything the test kit was telling me. When you do a start up from mix it seems like that tank has to crash before it starts coming back. I wouldn't be surprised if most fish could have survived my tanks cycling with an all-live start up, but I didn't risk it.

vest0830
01/06/2007, 09:25 PM
For those snails, your more than welcome to come over and grab a few, as I said, but also...wait until next weekend and head on down to Torri or any other beach and grab all of the snails you need during low tide. I grabbed a bunch of different snails and then ID'd them when I got home. As I said in my other thread, had I bought these snails from the states, they would have run me almost $700. insane.

teto_78
01/08/2007, 01:10 AM
yeah, that's what I've done in the past, well actually, I give my kids a bucket a piece and tell them to grab away everything they can except, any conch's, just in case.... Then I just "filter" the stuff that I need or don't need.

jeffb3t
01/08/2007, 02:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8910522#post8910522 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by teto_78
Hey Jeff, remember what I told you about my Powerhead idea..? well it's done, and it looks great....

Cool, Post up some pics!

vest0830
01/14/2007, 07:25 AM
So how is this tank going? pic's?

teto_78
01/14/2007, 08:46 AM
I'll take some pics tommorrow, but it's going well, been running for about a week now.

* Still adding rock need about 10 more pieces...
* Waiting on the darn T-5 bulbs, so I can finish of my canopy.
* Cleanup crew doing the dirty work.
* Urchin Pro Protein Skimmer being broken in.

vest0830
01/14/2007, 07:19 PM
Did you go get some from the beach? what types did you get?

teto_78
01/15/2007, 08:40 AM
Live Rock:

* Abalone

http://www.georgiastrait.org/Newsletters/jj0603page8-01.jpg

* Astrea

http://www.pirx.com/gallery/albums/mollusks/astrea01.jpg

* Nassarius Snail

http://www.withinmysite.com/members/a/aquaticaonline.net/images/thumbs/TANK0326097.jpg

*Urchins

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/11/images/061109-urchin-genome_big.jpg

* Spiny Brittle Star

http://hammer.prohosting.com/~debj/reef/dcp03466co.jpg

*Crabs

*Sponges

Beach:

*Mexican Turbo

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/marinedepotlive_1921_40817200

* Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crabs

http://www.planktonik.com/museum/images/others/0212yadokari01.jpg

* Cowry's

http://www.greenwaterimages.com/kauai2004/images/tiger_cowry.jpg

vest0830
01/15/2007, 08:43 AM
id stay away from the urchins, unless they are about 1/2 the size of your fist. They are great cleaning agents, but will knock your corals over, and that will get annoying real fast, sticking your hands in the tank and picking up corals...

ALso watch those crabs, they will much on the snails if they get hungry. Ive thrown many out the door. litterly. :lol:

looks lik eyou have a real nice collection.

teto_78
01/28/2007, 08:09 AM
Canopy is done !!!!!!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/canopyshop.jpg

Pivot hinge installed

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/canopyshop2.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/canopyshop3.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/canopyshop4.jpg

TEK Retro

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2627.jpg

Waterproofed the inside and siliconed..

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2629.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2628.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2643.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2640.jpg

teto_78
01/28/2007, 08:15 AM
oh, just noticed, my powerhead is just "hanging out" for the moment, I will post my "powerhead project" as soon as it goes in this week.

jasalmanza
01/28/2007, 08:37 AM
Looks great, Keep up the good work!

vest0830
01/29/2007, 04:46 PM
pics wont show at work, and I dont have the internet at the new house yet. dangit!

jeffb3t
01/30/2007, 03:34 AM
The canopy looks great but...

Its better in person. Nice Job!! I thought you were going to paint it?

teto_78
01/30/2007, 07:38 AM
nah, just stain, and I like how it turned out stained.

jeffb3t
02/01/2007, 03:50 AM
that's cool. DId you get the hammer from Das?

teto_78
02/01/2007, 08:04 AM
sure did ! looks great, thanks again Mike !!!

vest0830
02/02/2007, 10:03 AM
dang, I can finally see the pics!!! beautiful hood! i think I will steal your idea for mine! any more pics

teto_78
02/02/2007, 10:18 AM
yeah, got a couple more, let me know when you get started, I'll help you out, the hinges were the most expensive part, but Jeff said he "might" be able to get some for some beer..he he

Hinges: $21.00
Wood: $18.00
Stain: $4.00 (but you can borrow some)

teto_78
02/24/2007, 09:26 PM
Got a couple pictures here of the tanks inhabitants.... I need a new lense !!!!!!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2766.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2772.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2784.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2791.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2763copy.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2793.jpg

Mike, as you can see, the pastel pinks you gave me are doing great !!!

teto_78
03/06/2007, 07:23 AM
Took some more pictures today, let me know what you guys think......

And let me know if you need a family potrait of your tank, I need more subjects !!!!!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_3093.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_3092.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2996.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2981.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2976.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_2971copy.jpg

teto_78
03/06/2007, 07:33 AM
This guy and his brothers are trying to take over my tank, I swear they kep ambushing my display one raid at a time. This little one hear was barely visible to the naked eye, about the size of a grain of salt, got som other pods that are like six times his size.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/gonzoman_78/DSC_3097.jpg

vest0830
03/06/2007, 07:36 AM
my fuge is full of those things. pods everywhere!

Im jelious of the pics.