PDA

View Full Version : I found it .... finally

northbay-reefer
11/22/2006, 06:07 PM
For those of you that are using a two part like B-ionic, turbo calcium, part A and part B for supplementing your calcium, don't waste your money.

Their is a store in Santa rosa call Purity Products. They cary DOWFLAKES a 50lb bag for about $29.00 that enough calcium cloride for all of our reef tank combined for 5 years :D make sure to tell them Dow flakes use for melting ice

I have been searching all over the place, finaly found it.

jkreefer
11/22/2006, 07:43 PM
do you put that in your reactor?

coralfarmer
11/22/2006, 10:35 PM
Which recipe are you going to use?

I use randy holmes farley's original recipe.
And used the ESV CaCl instead of the dow flake I also bake the baking soda. A good tip is when you are mixing the baking soda it will disolve faster if you use warm water.
Are you going to use the MgCl portion of the recipe?
I have had good success with it.
Have fun!

northbay-reefer
11/23/2006, 02:22 PM
Jeff, no this stuff is used to make the two part calcium/buffer receipe ... part A is calcium cloride(dow flake or ESV) with RO water ... part B is baked Baking soda mixed with IO water ... this will make the same stuff that is simmilar to B-ionic to add calcium and buffer alk/ph in your reef tank. a 250mg of this stuf is sold for $15 so doing it this way (50lbs bag only cost $30) will save you tons of money. Although I already have a calcium reactor, I still use this stuff to increase calcium when I need to match it with my alk ... the calcium reactor is only there to maintain the calcium level not to raise it. If I use my calcium reactor to increase calcium then it will also throw my Alk out of whack which usualy resulting in sps RTN or STN

Coralfarmer, ESV is the same as Dow flakes and yes I do use the Randy homles farley receipe.

Currenlty for the mgcl I am using Epsom salt because that is all i've found so far. If you have other sources please share.

I think in future meeting after the mjmod meeting, we should talk about how to make these.

coralfarmer
11/23/2006, 11:19 PM
Sounds like a plan.