PDA

View Full Version : Just a matter of time.

beach1
07/05/2002, 08:18 PM
Right now I'm still in research/design mode and gathering equipment. So far I have an 80 gallon (60x18x20) acrylic tank with all top holes and slots plugged and two custom made acrylic lids w/ latches for the two main openings. A 50 gallon glass tank for sump. I am only half done with the sump. It has an oversized area for carbon bags and and area for an ETSS reef devil skimmer.

1st question I have is reguarding the strainers/overflows to the sump. Which is prefered? Any suggestions or hints in design?

What I have in mind was to use only live rock glued/rodded together in the display creating lots of viods and caves and using a DSB in the sump. I'm not sure whether a refugium would be benefcial.

The lighting I have in mind would be (4) 65 watt pc, 10000k.

I have never kept a Octopus before and would like help in choosing the species that would enjoy the environment I am providing. Also are there any tank mates that are compatible ie jellyfish.

Thank you in advance for the responses.

beach1
07/07/2002, 02:29 AM
^bump^

OctoMonkey
07/07/2002, 12:11 PM
Hi Beach
I 'll try to field a couple :)

Any sort of mesh or sponge would be suitable to prevent escapism thru the overflows... Just as long as it is safe for aquarium use and the octo cant fit through the mesh.

A refugium could only benefit an octo tank. I have one now on my cuttle tank and I beleive Pat (Rudiger) and Chris do the same.

Your lighting may be too much for some species of octo to come out during the day but would obviously encourage stuff to grow on the live rock. Hard decission...... ???

Tank mates may include, some sessile inverts, star fish, urchins and some will not seem to bother snails. Dont think jellyfish would work though

Colin

beach1
07/07/2002, 03:14 PM
Thanks Octo,
I'll make up a couple of long intack strainers and cover them with foam. That way I can make an overflow outside the tank to determine the water level.

As far as the lighting each lamp is on a seperate ballast so I will have a good amout of control over lighting. I may try to light different zones of the tank so that one half is in shade so to speak. I guess I'll just have to play with it to find a balance.

The reason I had in mind jelly fish is because they require some similar things as the octo in reguards to tank environment. I'll try to do some more reserch on them.

Would you be able to halp me choose an Octopus. I would like to stay under $300 for one. I don't want anything deadly but would like something attractive.

Thanks again for your help.

a_kingdom_of_shells
07/08/2002, 03:42 AM
the way I've seen the rockwork done in public aquariums is to simply let it be and change it monthly. this gives your tank resident something to be interested in. it makes sense to me because the seem far to intelligent to be stuck in a box for there life, might as well change the scenery. ;)

OctoMonkey
07/08/2002, 06:07 AM
Hi beach

Well for 300 bucks that is no problem at all. Most octopus that are available are probably around the 30 - 50 sort of mark. And the best to start with and arguably the best species altogether is Octopus bimaculoides.

This is a medium sized, attractive, interactive and diurnal species.

It is important to state to the LFS what species you want and what size it is. Over here I always have problems getting the species I want but there is at least one good supplier in the States that can properly ID a bimac and even send a pic of it first by email!

I forget which company it is but if you do a search thru previous posts look for Jack at _______. OR maybe Chris or Mike or someone can reply to this thread???

Hope that helps you out a bit!
All the best
C

cephalopoder
07/08/2002, 07:54 PM
You can get a nice bimaculoides at www.fishsupply.com. Tell Jack chris sent you.
As far as jelly fish in the tank... Jelly fish require a special set up with flow designed to keep the jellyfish away from the glass. They wont live long in a octo tank full of live rock.
chris

beach1
07/09/2002, 12:14 AM
Sould I keep just one octopus in this tank?

What size refugium would be able to keep up with the appetite of an octo. I do have a 380 acrylic grow out tank I could convert to a sump and refugium but I don't know if that big is necessary. It would be ok since the 80 will be on the demising wall to the garage.

cephalopoder
07/09/2002, 10:12 AM
One octo to start is all I recommend.
Depending on your tank filtration you may not heed to have a refugium. It wouldn't hurt either.
chris

beach1
07/11/2002, 11:07 PM
I just paid for the reef devil skimmer and it will ship out Monday. Now I have to finish the stand and set everything up. I am going to be using LR, sand and water from existing aquariums so I believe the tank may be ready in a month.

beach1
07/16/2002, 08:58 PM
I saw an Octopus at the LFS today. They have had him for a week. It was labeled "Rock Octopus" for $45. I talk with the manager and he had no idea what species it was but said he could get them any time. He also said he couldn't request a certain species from any supplier.
Is there any idea what species it may be. It was brown in color (most of the time). This was in Sacramento, Ca.

cephalopoder
07/16/2002, 09:07 PM
My guess would be O.bimaculoides. It is a intertidal species found among rocks and quite common.

beach1
07/16/2002, 09:55 PM
Any special things to observe before purchase. I won't be getting this exact one as I'm sure it will have sold long before my tank is ready.