PDA

View Full Version : Setting up the tank

SWANN
07/04/2002, 09:51 PM
Hey guys,

After 2 years of working on my 90gal reef, 29 seahorse tank, 32 and 70 gal..plus 4 breeder 10 gal all for Dart frogs...I'm done. Now..this week i am planning to setup an octo tank. I ahve one question right now...

I am planning to buy a 65gal tank..36x18x(some hight). I was thinging of either having PERFECTO or ALL GLASS, Drill holes and use there overflow kits..Have any of you used these kits? I know its just as easy to make my own..but i dont feel liek it and i can get a great discount . Anyways..So taking one of your small breed of octopus..how small of an opening can one slip into? jsut so i know what materials i shoudl use when making the tank excape proof...and safe from the overflows..??

Any other help with pointers and specs to setup my tank would be much appreciated. I was thinking of going with a sump rated to do a 125 gal with a skimmer in it. i thinkits made form customsealife. and then probably putting a big EHIEM filter on it to.., live rock and sand of course.

Thanks.

oh and if anyone has pics of there tank setups..and octo's..i'd love to see them.

OctoMonkey
07/05/2002, 02:57 AM
Hi Swann.

A tank you are sugesting sounds great for an octopus. I would probably say that you might be better to get something like a Octopus bimaculoides as a starter.

Trying to get a dwarf/small species may be more difficult. Also, a bimac would be more active during the day when you are active, unless you are a night owl obviously :)

How small a hole depends on the size of octopus. It is said that if the hole is bigger than the size of its beak it can fit through. My octopus tank at present has 2 holes drilled for the overflow (it cant block BOTH at the same time while exploring). These holes are covered by siliconed on mesh with holes approx 3mm in diameter. I got that mesh from a garden centre.

Some people use sponges to block off exits.

The Eheim may be a good place to add some carbon?

hope that helps
C