PDA

View Full Version : Who wants some Magflake??

SueQ
11/16/2006, 03:39 PM
My inlaws are driving down for Christmas and since they are coming from up North I'm pretty confident that they can score some Magflake. I'm getting one bag. It shouldn't be a problem to bring a couple more bags down the road. BUT, I need to know how many by Thanksgiving. I don't have a price yet, but I wouldn't think it would be more than say $20 per bag.

For those who weren't able to attend the meeting, MagFlake is a common deicer up north that can be used to supplement Mg levels in your tank.
More info:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php
Edit:
I can also divide up one big bag into several smaller bags for those who do not need as much. Price would be per pound, based on the total cost of the bag. For example, if the bag cost $10 for a 25lb bag, then the price/lb would be $0.4

DrHank
11/16/2006, 09:24 PM
I'm not planning on going heavy on corals, so my demand shouldn't be that high, but I still think that I'm going to try to maintain the best parmaters that I can so you can count me in for half a bag. Also, what was the name of the pool supply company you got your Dowflake from?

IslandCrow
11/16/2006, 09:32 PM
Any idea how big the bags are? I don't think the stuff really goes bad, so I'd be in for two 25lb bags, or if no one else wants to split one with the Doc, one full bag and one half bag would probably be just perfect.

Thanks for working to set this up, Suzi. I also heard recently about Mag flake being used by Chemlawn. . .I'm not sure if they normally sell the stuff to people if in fact they use it around here, but that may be another future source. I know I have seen a magnesium supplement for lawns at Lowes. It wasn't Mag Flake, though.

SueQ
11/18/2006, 09:25 AM
I'm not exactly sure how big they'll be. I'm going to ask my Mom to check things out this week and get back to me. De-icer is super common up there, so I can't imagine it would be that expensive. They might also sell smaller bags for people who live in apts and such.

IslandCrow
11/18/2006, 07:54 PM
Well, I'd probably be looking for around 40-50 lbs of the stuff, give or take, but I don't want to inconvenience them too badly, so I'll certainly take whatever I can get. We wouldn't want them to have to leave any presents behind so they can fit all that Magflake in the car.

DrHank
11/18/2006, 10:36 PM
Mike, 40 - 50 lbs of magflake? Are you putting it on your Post Toasties?
Suzi, and the name of the pool supply company you get the Dowflake is?

SueQ
11/18/2006, 11:04 PM
Oh, yeah. Sorry Doc. Pensacola Pools is where I got the DowFlake from. They've got 3 stores in/around P'Cola and sell it for $15 and change for a 25lb bag. You have to ask for it as they keep it in the back.

IslandCrow
11/19/2006, 12:57 AM
Mike, 40 - 50 lbs of magflake? Are you putting it on your Post Toasties?

Hmmm, I wonder if that would be as good as Frosted Flakes. Actually, I just figure that as hard as this stuff is to come by around here, I may as well get a year's supply. . .or maybe that's a lifetime supply. I always was a big fan of overkill.

DrHank
11/20/2006, 07:21 PM
Suzi, I just found this statement by Randy on the Chemistry Forum regarding Mag Flake "The only brand that is known by me to be adequately pure is made by the Dead Sea Works and is sold as MAG flake." Accordingly, we may want to reconsider imposing on your in-laws. He goes on to state that many other brands contain amonia. I don't know about you and Mike but I'm not up for taking the risk. Just thought that you and Mike should know. I'm going to graciously bow out.

SueQ
11/20/2006, 09:34 PM
Doc-
You mean this article?
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php#13

That (actual Mag Flake by Dead Sea Works) is the only product I am hunting down. I sent my mom a pic of the bag from R. HF's articles and told her no substitutions. I'm not willing to gamble my tank on an unverified product either.
FWIW-Suzi

DrHank
11/21/2006, 07:57 AM
Suzi, OK so I'm dumb (and back in). I should have known that you folks were light years ahead of the average aquarist. That wasn't the article, but it pertty much says it all. I just picked up on it in a recent thread on the Chemistry forum. Lately most of my spare time has been spent surfing Reef Central. Things have changed a lot in the 10 years since I took down my last reef tank and I have to admit that I haven't kept up.

SueQ
11/21/2006, 10:46 AM
No worries Doc! I've got you back down on the list:)

SueQ
11/24/2006, 01:41 PM
Well, my Mom called this morning to give me an update on the Magflake. They went to several places that should have had it, but none carried it:eek2: Both my folks are very thorough, so not only did they look up and down every aisle but they also asked the employees to look it up in their inventory. We are all SHOCKED! With that being said, the LFS by my old high school (which I can't believe is still open!) carries it in smaller, repackaged bags like BFS. She's going to swing by there and get a price check. She still wants to go to Lowes to see if they've got it. Right now, it doesn't look good:mad:

TheGriffin
11/29/2006, 08:13 AM
I went by Lowes up in NE Georgia last weekend but didn’t find any. They had several brands of de-icer but no "MagFlake" There wasn't a HD around there. But I did get to stop by Cappuccino Bay again the day after Thanksgiving. Wow was that place packed! I felt I was at the mall when I had to wait in a big line to get a Mag test kit:)