PDA

View Full Version : Temperture related tank crash.

BORECKI
07/04/2002, 01:37 PM
A few days of temps near the 100 mark this week with me out on a two day trip and the tank went up to 92 degrees:eek2: I got home wed evening to a melting c. Gigas anemonie and a desintegrating branching gorgonian. My wife didn't remember to turn on the window unit in the living room.
I got the AC on, placed a fan in the sump and turned off the halides yesterday and by this morning the temp was down to 86:rolleyes: I also cranked up the skimmer to maximum.
This morning I removed a three year old anemonie and a two year old gorgonian:( . All the fish seam OK, allthough the tang looked 'nervous' yesterday. A second gorgonian peeled at the base, I hope it recovers.
Now I have to set a bag of carbon in the sump to get rid of a funky odor in the equipment closet:sad2: and hope nothing else dies.
For reference I run my tank at 82-83 degrees and I figured the ten degree spike was within 8 hours or less. Right now (I think,maybe) the calerpa in the refugium is keeping the oxigen levels up during the die off, I hope.
Boris.

jimroth
07/04/2002, 04:37 PM
Boris, sorry man, that sucks. Especially the anemone. I hope you removed the corpse before it turned to liquid.

BORECKI
07/04/2002, 07:55 PM
Jim; I got the anemonie out as soon as I figured it was dead. I'll have to keep an eye on the gorgonoan that peeled, if it gets worse I'll have to frag it. On a good note my pink lether and toadstool seem to be recovering.
Boris.

Lago
07/05/2002, 08:07 AM
Not to get sidetracked but...

What if you lose power for an extended length of time which causes the death of your livestock worth thousand of dollars. Does the power company have any accountability, will your home owners cover it, or are you SOL??? The winter's not too big of an issue as I have a small generator but there is no way I can power my CAC!

Boris...Sorry for your losses. As you are on the road often, you need a home monitoring system that can page you when certain events are triggered. Given the circumstances, probably not overly expensive.

--Lago:

ATLANTIS
07/05/2002, 12:37 PM
Lago,
IMO you are pretty much on your own. I guess you could attempt to sue the power company, but that would probably cost more than the livestock... in the long run...

BORECKI
07/06/2002, 01:22 PM
LAGO ? what is a 'CAC'?
Temps are down to normal and most everybody recovered. Thankfully no fish were lost. But on the other hand a giant elephant ear mushroom that has split five times in the past fell apart on me. Now I have to hope that the daughters recover & grow.
Boris.

Lago
07/08/2002, 07:31 AM
CAC = Central Air Conditioning

Rovert
07/09/2002, 09:50 AM
Boris, that's rotten. Hope nothing else 86's on you.

Nagel
07/10/2002, 06:44 PM
I feel your pain Boris...

The week after June 23rd the wife and I were on our honeymoon, and my pops was taking care of the tanks, we only had two days of mid 90's, but I lost a torch, a colt frag and 4 acro frags in my 75. Now we have the whole house AC'd for ths summer (pops is feeling guilty he didn't turn on the AC so now he has it on 24 x 7). Tanks climbed to 90 he said, and I keep em at 80.

We have 2 AC's in the house now, one in the living room which cools the 75, and one in my room which cools the 2 55's, 29 and 10. Wow, it's so much nicer in my room with the AC on now :)

Anyway, My hopes are with ya.....

BORECKI
07/10/2002, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the good words guys.:) As of now things are getting back to normal,?, in the tank. about 83/84 with a fan on a medusa blowing across the sump. My toadstool today, finaly, opened up!
Hope to get the tank all spiffed up for September.
Rovert I plan to bring a toy to the july meeting;)
Boris.

coachgail
07/11/2002, 05:03 PM
When my gorgonian started melting, I fragged and it did recover. IF yours doesn't, I will bring you a piece of mine. IT sucks to hear abotu bad tank woes. Did I tell you that the pet sitter fed the 58 2 cups of dog food when I was in TX. Can you say bye bye fish and corals, hello red slime?

BORECKI
07/16/2002, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by coachgail
........Did I tell you that the pet sitter fed the 58 2 cups of dog food when I was in TX. Can you say bye bye fish and corals, hello red slime?

Ouch! Bawow
Two cups of dog food? I'd like to know what drugs the sitter was on.
Did you save anything at all?
Boris.

coachgail
07/16/2002, 08:53 AM
Um, the zenia grew....LOL! Other than that, I lost the softies and a few shrimp, snails, and crabs. Doing OK now, with jst a touch of red slime.

the tiler
07/17/2002, 07:57 PM
I an anemonie for you a green bubble tip come and get it I am in oldwick .

the tiler
07/17/2002, 08:02 PM
sorry I have a anemonie for you

BORECKI
07/18/2002, 03:19 PM
The Tiler ; YGPM.
Boris.