PDA

View Full Version : refugium

kdogc10
11/12/2006, 08:48 PM
I am new to reef aquariums and I need help in setting up a refugium. What do I need to know? How do I set one up? I already have a second 20 galon tank to use for my 75 gal. show tank. any help would be nice. thankyou kdogc10

BenjieC
11/13/2006, 07:32 AM
First of all......WELCOME TO REEF CENTRAL!!!

For a fuge you just need a few things:

1) Macro algae: 2 of the best are cheatomorpha and calurpa(not sure on the spelling of those). They both grow fast and absorb waste. There are other kinds of macro which are fine too, but these 2 seem to be the best for waste export. I use just cheato for now, but am looking to get other types.

2) Live rock, rubble, and live sand. Personally I run all 3, including a deep sand bed. You could have 1 or all of these. They provide places for detrivors, amphipods, copepods, isopods, worms, and small starfish.

3) Cheap light like this one: http://melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html
Make sure to read the whole page b/c the best bulb is at the end.
I don't use this light personally b/c I am using a Nanocube for my fuge and I am just using the lighting fixture in the hood. My fuge is also part of the display meaning I have it on the stand overflowing into my display tank.

You want the water to flow slow through the fuge: 200gph or less. This will give the tank water more contact time to have waste pulled out of it by the macro algae. If you need more flow within the fuge add a small powerhead. Just make sure to clean it often.

If you have any other questions just ask!

Benjie

RobTop
11/13/2006, 08:15 AM
As Benjie said.
As for hooking it up you can plumb it abouve the tank and have gravity feed it back to the tank is great if you are looking to feed the tank with pods. If you are looking for a natural filter and bulk water you don't need it to overflow into the tank, but it can be plumed else where. My fuge has a sepetare pump and is plumed into the sump.

kdogc10
11/13/2006, 06:38 PM
Thankyou for your replys, they are very helpfull.