PDA

View Full Version : Is this enough light??

TangLover73
11/12/2006, 06:46 PM
I have a 150w light for my 50gal oceanic tank, is that enough light to grow coral and if so what kind can I do?? Thanks for any help you guys can give.:)

killingseed
11/12/2006, 08:58 PM
what kinda light? 150w for a 50 gl is low. how tall is the tanks?
are you running any other lights?

killingseed
11/12/2006, 09:36 PM
with out know more about tenk specs. 150w should still get you all types of softies or some low light LPSs' or most low light corals. you might get away with some sps if you have them on top of the tank, but you will not get good growth or color out of them if they grow at all.

if it where me i would maybe add some t5's along with it. but once again more specs are needed for more input.

there are a couple sites that have light/tank specs for diffent corals.

like :
http://www.marineandreef.com/Info/lightingchart_hood.html

and even from this cart for softies/LPSs' 192W is min. recommended for a 50gl.

for the most part i would think about the corals you would like to have and go from there. i personal have around 420W on my 75gl but will only but low light corals due to some of my lights only be fluorescent lights and not having the punch that maybe T5's have or HM.
my dream lights for my 75 gl would be 2x250W HM and 2xT5 actinic lights or even 2 more t5 just to back up the daylights.

or 8x54 t5 <---- NICE!!!

TangLover73
11/14/2006, 08:58 AM
Killingseed I updated my profile with the type of light I have check it out and let me know K thanks !:rolleyes:

killingseed
11/14/2006, 01:08 PM
well i had to think about this for a bit , and review some stuff before i could reply. i know the light you are talking about , its the one you got when i was there . even though its a great light i had thought you where putting it on a smaller tank. its a great light for maybe a 30 L , 20L and some other in that range, but being a 58 gl tank its just not enough light , you may get by with some shrooms and maybe zoo's keeped high in the tank. i would think about adding more light get you Watts up to around 300, 390. maybe add a pair of t5's or another one of those clip on hoods. thats a big tank and its almost like someone asking me "is it ok to get a tang for my 30gl" my answer would be "no its not ok"

your at about 2.5 watts per gl for a fish only thats great. but corals i wouldnt get any coral that require lighting and or clams.

i could take a closer look at your tank , or your more then welcome to have a look at my tank and we could talk more about this topic.

Salty Sam
11/14/2006, 01:16 PM
TangLover...werent you going to run that on the 10 gallon?

TangLover73
11/14/2006, 02:27 PM
Yes I was but I tried the light on the 58 and it looks really nice, but I guess I will have to go back to the 10. I really want to put it on a 20gal cause I am not able to put the skimmer and the carbon filter and the light on the back of the tank I need about two or three more inches for that to happen. I just really would like to get a a light for my 58 but I am building that house right now and funds are low. Got any ideas or maybe you know some one who has a 20 for sale or maybe you can look into a tank for me. Oh Killingseed maybe you can look at my tank and tell me what you think and we can talk about the lighting

killingseed
11/14/2006, 02:30 PM
sure we can get togather and go over some idea's if you want' i'll send you a pm

TangLover73
11/14/2006, 04:37 PM
it will have to be on a weekend if that is ok i work 6 to 12 at night still give me a time good for you

Salty Sam
11/14/2006, 04:52 PM
The Viper will work on the 58 but concentrate the higher light requiring coral towards the top and center of the tank. If it looks bright on the tank you should be fine with any number of corals, most will live in moderate light, they just wont grow much and color up as much.

killingseed
11/14/2006, 05:14 PM
ya that cool with me. i gave you my number so just give me a call this week end and we'll set something up

TangLover73
11/15/2006, 01:36 AM
Ok killingseed email me and I will get back to you, Oh and Salty any ideas to get a 20 gal maybe at petsmart ?? Can you help me??

killingseed
11/15/2006, 09:27 AM
you could use get a 20 and use that 10 as a sump for the skimmer and filter so you have room for the light. i used a 20L from pet smart for my sump and bought baffles pre cut from baker glass , much more cleaner look on my 75 GL, nothing on top no cords in the tank. 20L from PS on sale could cost like 20 not on sale 29.

TangLover73
11/15/2006, 01:00 PM
I will eventually use the ten for something like that but later when I setup a 200gal tank that I want in the future, cause I just bought a nano skimmer from remora so I want to use that. I think i saw a shallow 20gal at petsmart and I really like the way it looks, but thank you for the advice you email me yet??

Salty Sam
11/15/2006, 06:21 PM
Saw that same 20 gallon, should work fine.