PDA

View Full Version : adding corals

reefinready
06/29/2002, 12:53 AM
i currently have a ten gallon tank with two 18 watt compacts(jbj) . i have a red brain, pulsing xenia, green striped mushrooms and two other mushroom tpyes, candy corals and a condylactus with a cinnomen clown( i plan on getting rid of the anemone and clown) but i wish to add another coral i was thinking of green star polyps. any sugestions or advice. i also have a zoomed powerhead.

TooFar2Sea
06/29/2002, 01:35 AM
Green star polyps are a great addition to most tanks. They are not too expensive, very hardy, and fast growing. After you have established them in your tank you can also cut frags from the growth and trade them with friends or the LFS.
It is not necessary to start with a large piece, as it does grow quickly. Don't be too concerned if the coral doesn't open right away in your tank. Sometimes they take a few days to get used to the new surroundings. They will also close up now and again for no apparent reason, only to reopen a day or so later.
With your lighting you should be able to place them anyplace you want in your tank. As for the powerhead, they seem to like a bit of current. Try to position them so the polyps are swaying back and forth though, and not directly in the output of the powerhead.

reefinready
06/29/2002, 11:47 AM
thanks for your help i have taken out my anemone and i got a green star polyp:)