PDA

View Full Version : Sand brand?

Vitaly
10/30/2006, 07:38 PM
I've read that Southdown is no longer available...has anyone purchased a similar brand (size, color, quality) at any of our local hardware stores (Menards, Lowe's, Home Depot)?

hounddog01
10/30/2006, 07:48 PM
Sand is cheap compaired to everything else. I use Carib sea. I know some people will say its the same but it is nice and white.

Vitaly
10/30/2006, 09:26 PM
I would argue that the only "cheap" thing in the hobby is posting threads on RC.

Actually my question has nothing to do with being cheap, penurious or frugal...though I (and I am sure others) are always eager to "save a buck" in the hobby.

Rather, I have seen the way "Southdown" looks in tanks and I find it most asthetically appealing. I currently have CaribSea Aragonite sand in my 30 gallon.

As I make the transition into the 55 gallon I would prefer something that mimics the look and feel of Southdown. From what I have read Southdown is no longer being produced, but there are echoes of the same sand being sold under a different brand name. Further, there is seemingly very little difference in chemcial properties between the two. Below is a link if you are interested.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2005/short.html

If anybody has found something similar locally...I would appreciate your comments.

hounddog01
10/30/2006, 10:30 PM
If that is the look you like that is great. Get what you want and save some $$$. I understand the property's of southdown and believe it is similar but may have additives that carib sea may not. I believe southdown is ok to use just not the color I like.

GreenBay1
10/30/2006, 11:05 PM
Lots of people are starting to use pulverized limestone now. $3.00 for a 25 pound bag.

Vitaly
10/31/2006, 12:28 AM
<B>GreenBay</B>,

Thanks for the tip. I did some reading and it seems that individuals at various marine/reef sites have reported use of a pulverized limestone brand by "Pavestone" in their tanks.

They claim that it is highly similar to Southdown, and retails for $4 for a 50 pound bag at Home Depot. I will do some more reading...and will then check the local store here in town.

hubris007
10/31/2006, 09:29 AM
Or, you could drive to Inland. They have bulk oolitic sand. No idea the price. Maybe if soeone else was headed here they'd pick you up some.

Michelle L
10/31/2006, 10:17 AM
I think Gluestick or RobynT had some Southdown, if I remember correctly...?

MattAranda
10/31/2006, 11:28 AM
I am getting ready to set up my 90 gallon, I will need sand as well... I haven't started with "non-live" sand before, Do I just need to mix in some of my current "live-sand" with the new stuff and let everything cycle? Any helpful links?

GreenBay1
10/31/2006, 01:28 PM
Yes, you just add some of your "live sand" to the new sand and let the tank do its thing. It is like seeding live rock, just faster.

MattAranda
10/31/2006, 01:50 PM
Ok thanks, I am not familiar with seeding either. My 150 gallon is my first saltwater tank. I purchased it used from somebody that provided me with all of the live sand and live rock so that step was not necessary for me. Thanks for the help though!

GreenBay1
10/31/2006, 03:13 PM
Seeding is where you fill your tank with dead rock (dried) and place some pieces of live rock on it. The live stuff will then spread onto the dead rock thus making it live rock. This is a very long process though, and some people do not want to wait the extra time it takes for the dead rock to be colonized by the beneficial bacteria. The seading path is a great way to save money on your live rock costs, but like stated, it is a long process.

Benny Z
10/31/2006, 03:16 PM
nothing good happens quickly in this hobby.

hounddog01
10/31/2006, 05:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8451940#post8451940 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Benny Z
nothing good happens quickly in this hobby.

Nice quote

Vitaly
10/31/2006, 05:48 PM
I found someone who has several bags of Southdown that is selling it for about $10 a bag (I think each bag is 50 lbs). I am will try and negotiate a lower price. If anybody is interested in some bags let me know.

<B>BennyZ</B>...great quote!

MattAranda
10/31/2006, 06:41 PM
I am interested in the sand Vitaly.

Cunch
11/01/2006, 07:00 PM
Wow, small world!! Forgot I was even a member to this website, thanks Vitaly for spreading the word. I currently have 11 / 50lbs bags for sale.

Firm on $10.00 a bag as I had to find these at a Home Depot on the outskirts of Chicago.

Never been used, I'm selling them because I work too damn much and the possibility of me getting transferred at a moments notice is too great to have to setup a 150 gallon tank and then have to tear it down.

So the sand is for sale!

Any questions, I can be reached at becker_chad@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Chad Becker