PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? (tank decision)

a novice
06/27/2002, 09:18 AM
Hey everyone,

I've decided on an approximate size for my tank but now I'm overwhelmed with the choices. I would like a tank somewhere between 12 and 15 gallons. Being that I'm a student and portability is a necessity, I would like one of the "self contained systems". From the ones that I've found, two are in the running.
The first one is Clarity Plus' 12 gallon Acrylic IFS Flatback Hex. I've found it for $185 but I would need to upgrade the lighting to a 27W & 9W PC(or other) which costs about $70. This system does not come with a protein skimmer, but, if it would fit, I would get a prizm(approx. $80). This would total about $340. I understand that there are a bunch of other pieces that I would need to buy, but those are necessary with any tank.
The second choice is the 12 gallon Uniquarium that FFE sells. It comes with the lighting mentioned above, and a skimmer. I am unsure of the skimmer quality but it does come with one. This retails for about $390. Anyone have any experience with this skimmer/tank?

From my point of view, the only difference is the skimmer issue. They are both good quality acrylic tanks with matching black acrylic hoods and bases. I would prefer the first system because I would rather have a skimmer that has gotten good reviews over one that is fairly unknown. Only problem with that: what do I do when the prizm doesn't fit? I would hate to cut apart the hood to make it fit. Should I just take the chance and if the prizm doesn't fit find a skimmer that will?

Thanks alot. :P

Lunchbucket
06/27/2002, 09:42 AM
i say just run skimmerless so you don't have to spend the $$ on it and worry about it.

you check out www.nano-reef.com's tanks??

Lunchbucket

a novice
06/27/2002, 10:53 AM
Yes, I have been there and looked at his tanks but they are a little bit small and I don't think they look as good as the others. I noticed that a 20 gallon is in the making so that one may be an idea depending on the price.

Not that I intend to skip water changes or neglect some general maintence tasks, but if it does happen, wouldn't a skimmer help out? I have read in numerous books and articles that a skimmer is an almost necessary piece of equipment for a beginner.... sort of like a safety net. I know that many people run very sucessful tanks without skimmers, but aren't they fairly experienced?

Off topic: Is it just my computer or is the message board not working[at nano-reef.com]?

lizbeth
06/27/2002, 11:07 AM
The nano reef message board is working for me.

I'm a beginner and run skimmerless. I haven't run into any problems so far.

Pinecone_Jeff
06/27/2002, 11:39 AM
I have a 10 gal skimmerless on my desk at work. Portability was at the forefront in my decision to even start a tank at work because I tend to move my workstation around from project to project.

Anything bigger than a 10 would mean quite a bit more work in moving it.

So I keep it simple. 2 penguin hang on filters and a maxijet 600 for water movement, heater, and lights. That's it. My next upgrade might be some kind of hang on refugium, but we'll see.

kryptonite
06/27/2002, 02:24 PM
Hey, I am the new proud owner of a cpr backpack 2R skimmer. I just bought it for my 15g. I currently consider this my best purchase ever. Each day I dump the nasty stinky brown contents of the collection cup in the sink not believing that that sh*t just came out of my precious little tank. If you have the money I definately advise you to purchase a skimmer. I recommend the one that I have. It has done a fabulous job on my 15g and is rated for up to 60 gallons. It runs around $130. Good luck!

kryptonite
06/27/2002, 02:27 PM
One thing I forgot to mention though is that my tank is a 15g TALL (eclipse with a modified canopy). This tank is 18" tall. The backpack skimmer is 17" tall so you will have to get a tall tank for this skimmer.

Nate

a novice
06/27/2002, 02:36 PM
Thank you everyone.

So, what you're saying is that you would go with the Clarity Plus system and try going skimmerless. Actually, that would allow me to go with the 2x32W lights rather than the 27W/9W.

Another thing that I am worried about is the DSB. I wasn't planning on having a DSB just an inch or two for visual purposes. I've read many articles that say that a DSB under 4 or so inches isn't really beneficial. I don't see how I could incorporate 4 inches of sand in a tank this small. Any thoughts?

I would still like to hear other opinions about the two tanks....

Thanks! :p

a novice
06/27/2002, 03:14 PM
Kryptonite :

If I decided that I needed a skimmer I would go with the prizm or the bakpack. From the dimentions that I found on the website, the tank is 20" tall(20" wide, 10" deep) I had actually already looked into the height of the skimmer because I knew that it could be a problem. Thanks.

Lunchbucket
06/27/2002, 04:04 PM
a true DSB doesn't work in a nano. there isn't enought square area to have a totally functioning true DSB. i would just add about 2-3" and use that...will still help out

Lunchbucket

a novice
06/28/2002, 06:17 AM
I am by no means an expert, but, does it really help? With only 2/3 inches you can't keep any burrowing fish/inverts. Since it isn't really helping with the filtration(not significantly), wouldn't it be better to leave that extra inch or two for water/swimming space. In a nano, space is a premium, why waste it?

Thanks,
Lara

Lunchbucket
06/28/2002, 07:30 AM
you will have bristle worms, conch, gobies could sift it. you will have life in there just not a totally functioning true DSB. yeah you could do 1" of sand but heck i personally would rather have 2-3"...looks better to me and you will have more area for more life

just MO
Lunchbucket

ThingsReef
06/30/2002, 07:31 PM
Not sure how much it does for my little 7 gallon mini bow but I have between 2 1/2 to 3 inches of sand and about 10 pounds of rock and the nitrates are at 0 on a hagen test. This tank has been set up for about 3 months and has a clown, six-line wrass, emerald crab, peppermint shrimp, 2 conchs, and some corals like yellow and star polyps, zooanthids, torch, anchor, organ pipe, leathers, etc and they look great so far. (Most of the corals were frags from my tank)

Timbo
06/30/2002, 10:06 PM
Where'd you find the Clarity Plus tank for 185 bucks???

a novice
07/01/2002, 05:16 AM
AquariumPros.com has it for $184.99. From what I've heard, they have decent customer service. I posted in the vendor forum, but no one has responded.

Edit:

One thing I forgot to mention: This tank does not include lighting. Some Clarity Plus 12 gallon systems include a 26Wx9W fixture, but this one does not. I would probably end up changing the lighting to a 2x32W fixture anyway, so I would rather not pay for something that I'll just replace. The tank does include the normal base and canopy.

fishsuse29
07/01/2002, 10:06 AM
the prizm is 13.5 tall 9 wide and 2.5 inches deep

kennerd
07/03/2002, 10:34 AM
Some of you may remember my post about CSL bulbs I purchased through Aquariumpros.com a while back. Cheapest 32watters on the market @ $15.99. Funny thing is, they arrived directly from Champion Lighting, which sells them for over $20.00. They must third party drop-ship them. Either way, who cares: great price & very easty to deal with.

a novice
07/03/2002, 11:51 AM
Kennerd:

On their website they say that alot of the items are drop shipped. I suppose this is one way to keep their selection high and their prices low.

I'm still trying to decide whether I want to go with the 12 or the 25 gallon...