PDA

View Full Version : first order of buisness!

KADLETZ
10/25/2006, 07:51 PM
I'm sorry you feel that way james, i felt that all my chips were on the table I told you about a budget i had, what i could do and what i could not, as far as your advise thank you for your help as it stands right now i have 13 dart pumps and 3, 800 gallon rated skimmers waiting to be put on the banks, pluse about $8000 dollars worth of other equipment. As far as what i know, i know nothing started learning about 6 months ago learned alot still learning. You made suggestions as a volenteer i researched it and most of the time followed throu. Skimmer for the island tank you suggested i buy from some guy in indiana ok $3000, not a big issue but you said he made three of them was that his first one not working right is that why he's selling it, How did he come to the conclusion that he needed to build the skimmer that big or small, I need to make sure that the 3000 i spend will not make me look bad, can i buy replacement parts for it, no. Why can't this thing be made by me whats holding me back nothing, i need positive people around me to move forward, the only mistake i made was over steping my bonders and suggesting to, that you should be on the pay role, things move slow im sorry. As far as the island tank goes it was looked over today by are head maintance guy and he said the tank was good and there was no possible way it could "blow up" because of its steel frame, Called local glass co's. and they dont touch aquariums.

Lance im sorry that you did not Know about the budget i was very honest and forth right about what i could do or not do. I think you just did not know that. I still would like to do buisness. Suse, mike, griffin thank you for you positive comments and help. If there is anything i can do to help or anything let me know.

So james whats it going to be, you seem to be the voice here i need to know what you want to do about this tank there is tech issues i need to go over with you guys "skimmer" if not thats fine ill just have to change my plans a little.

Chris Kadletz

Mr James
10/25/2006, 09:50 PM
Interesting point of view.

My comments and suggestions were all for one purpose alone, a healthy system. I was simply trying to make your system a better one, by making suggestions as to what I would do, which is what I am currently doing with my tank at home. Stick to this board, ask a ton of questions and do even more reading. There are a lot of very experienced people on Reef Central and most of them want to help you, like I was doing. You should be open to opinions and suggestions, even if you don't plan to use them.

I am not the voice of the club, we make decisions together. I will put it to the club and see what they want to do. Public addresses like this one stir up a lot (<--I used that word just for you Lance) of emotion and opinions. I will let the others respond for themselves.

Phildirt
10/25/2006, 10:04 PM
Boy what did I miss!!
Water quality is a very important issue with saltwater aquariums. While some animals can live with varying and improper water conditions, others can’t. Especially corals. Skimmers are important for a system that has no nutrient export other than water changes. I can see both sides of this and understand where you are coming from, being that you are responsible for the tanks, how the budget is spent and all in your name. You can build your own skimmer, but do research on it as there are many parameters with skimmers, skimmer diameter, height, the size bubbles in the skimmer, water contact time with the bubbles, flow, etc. You can save time by having someone else spin their wheels rather than you. There are thousand of DIY threads for skimmers. The same principle applies to purchasing a ‘name’ brand skimmer, some else did the research and testing. I know that the budget is tight and there is a lot to do.
On another note, have you asked any aquarium companies/skimmer manufacturers to donate to you, and you could put their name/credit on the tank? Or have local companies that would like advertising donate money and have their name put on plaque next to the tank, like the bricks out in front there? Or better yet, make the DIY rock in the shape of their company name…………………………………………..just kidding.
Anyways my $0.02 worth.

60Cubed
10/26/2006, 01:21 AM
phildirt is correct. chris the thought of trying to DIY on a skimmer this large is IMO a mistake. there are things we could build for this tank with out help. a SKIMMER is NOT one of them! there is something to be said for R and D. let the guys with all the money waist it trying to figure out the best pump for this skimmer or the best impeller to get the best size bubble on that skimmer and buy a proven product. it is a lot (dangit man) less stressful that way. we need to be focusing on the entire system, not one piece of equipment. chris, spend the money on a good skimmer or i'm not in. i won't waist my time with it. it doesn't have to be the one james recommended, but it needs to be a good skimmer.

lance

KADLETZ
10/26/2006, 05:06 PM
OMG Cashes called to day and they want to sponcer the tank But the DIY rock sculpture is not PG. O====>

Phildirt
10/26/2006, 06:57 PM
Have you asked Sammys? :smokin:

I'd stay away from the green frog. :eek1: