PDA

View Full Version : grounding retro reflector

jadavis01
11/17/2000, 07:02 PM
I recently purchased a used CSL 4 x 55W retro kit and am starting to build the canopy for it. My question is this,
the reflector has a warning label stating that "the reflector must be properly grounded". Well I kind of know in lay
terms what grounding is but what I don't get is exactly how is a metal reflector mounted in an acrylic hood going
to be grounded? The instruction manual doesn't say anything about this and all the hood designs I see on the web
don't mention this. Also no hoods I've ever seen or owned seem to be grounded to me (at a glance anyways). Can
someone explain to me how this would be accomplished in a DIY acrylic or wood canopy, please? Thank you

Snailman
11/17/2000, 07:59 PM
The power cord that powers the PC ballast should have a ground wire in it. Just hook a wire from your reflector to that ground. When I grounded my reflectors I just put the end of the wire under one of the mounting screws. HTH

jadavis01
11/17/2000, 08:09 PM
That's the part I don't get! I understand about using a wire screwed to the reflector but I just don't understand where to put the other "grounding" end. The ballast has a 3 prong cord to go to the electrical outlet and 2 cords attached to the waterproof endcaps with sockes inside. What ground wire are you refering too, please? Maybe a diagram would help me.