PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for the phyto!!

Mr James
10/22/2006, 06:34 PM
For those of you who have donated 2L pop bottles, I ordered my phyto on Wed and believe it or not, have not received it. I am surprised, I though FAF was on the ball. It'll probably be here on Mon. My little reactor set up is ready to go, just waiting for the phyto discs.

SueQ
10/22/2006, 09:47 PM
I was just going to pm you about that! I got some nanno started this weekend. I should be getting some iso this week, but the first major batch has to go back to the person who I got it from. Let me know when you're ordering your rots. I'd like to go in on the order with you James.

Mr James
10/22/2006, 09:51 PM
Rots?? It better not. I have an idea on how to grow and pacakge the results. I hope it works out alright. I wouldn't mind getting some of that ISO from you. Hey, you wanted some sort of trade for an acro in the other thread. I think we may have found something.

SueQ
10/23/2006, 07:05 AM
I'm confused now.... Aren't you going to be growing rotifers??
On the Iso., I'll keep you first in line after I give some back to my friend. I don't want to overcommit this culture though. He's been having a tough time w/ getting it started and I offered to help for a "fee" - hooking me up with a plate of it. It might not be ready until Thanksgiving.

Bkndsdl
10/23/2006, 10:27 AM
James, I know it may be too late, but I plan on making the Nov meeting. Would it be alright if I gave you the bottles then? If it's too late, I'd like to buy a bottle from you to get started.....

Mr James
10/23/2006, 07:15 PM
Good news, I talked to FAF today and they waited to ship my culture till today because they were worried about it sitting at UPS all weekend. I never should have doubted them. They have always been good to me in the past.

Suzi, once again read your post wrong. I thought you said my disk would rot (break down/decay), from being lost in the mail. Yes, I plan to grow rotifers. But I want to get the phyto brewing first so that the roti's have food. No sense in have roti's if there isn't any phyto. No hurries on the other culture, I am going to need to work out the bugs with this one first. I plan to brew in my garage, I hope it's not too cold. But after hearing tonights forecast, I may have to rethink my strategy.

Mike: I can always use some more. And actually, if you save your other pop bottles, like the ones you pick up at the store, the 12 - 14 oz containers, that would be better. I plan to brew everything in bags and then transport/sell/trade in smaller containers like pop bottles, Gatorade containers and such. I'll take some pictures once it gets going. So, if you want to entice me, throw some of your 14oz pop and Gatorade bottles my way. I'm sure Suzi may be needing some too if she is growing hers.

Bkndsdl
10/23/2006, 08:00 PM
Cool deal, James. I'll bring as much as I can.

About the garage thing; how much does temperature play in the cultures? I thought about growing mine in my shed in the backyard, but didn't know if the lower temps would hamper raising the cultures.

IslandCrow
10/23/2006, 09:31 PM
Cool, I go through those smaller gatorade bottles like candy. I'm still trying to get a line on more of the 2L bottles from people at work with kids, but I think I have a bunch of parents like my own who don't let their kids drink soda. Not that I blame them for not wanting their kids to be any more hyper than they already are. Anyway, I'll keep saving the big gatorade bottles if those work for you, and I'll start keeping the smaller ones as well.

Mr James
10/24/2006, 04:34 AM
I won't be going through the 2L bottles as fast as I will the smaller Gatorade type bottles. I am going to try using bags as my culture vessels. The 2L bottles will hold the bags. The bags I got from Mike will be what I am using to start out and then I may look for more down the road.

Mike (Alabama), uh oh, two Mike's. I am going to ask some questions from the guru's about ambient temps and report back.