PDA

View Full Version : Diving in St. Lucia

JRegs
06/25/2002, 09:43 AM
Has anyone dove here? I'll be heading there for my honeymoon next week and divng is included. The future wife and I recently got certified and this trip will be our first real (not a quarry) dive. Anything to be on the lookout for (I assume standard Carribean fare), tips, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Paul B
06/30/2002, 05:00 PM
The best plact to dive in St. Lucia is by far the Pitons. The Pitons are two very steep mountains on the coast that go straight down into the water a few hundred feet deep, but you will not go that far don't worry. It is a wall dive and very easy. The visability in St. Lucia is not the best in the Caribbean but the Pitons are very good. I dove there about four times.

lightning
08/06/2002, 12:32 PM
man your lucky. i have been there once and realy realy want to go back. if you have only dove in a quarry before you in for a real big supprise!!!!!!!

Paul B
08/06/2002, 03:26 PM
I have never dove in a quarry. Whats in a quarry anyway? any why would you dive in one?

billsreef
08/06/2002, 06:42 PM
A quarry is something those inland folks get to dive in ;) It's nice to be surrounded with sea water, isn't it :D

Paul B
08/07/2002, 04:11 AM
I could not and would not live any other way.

JRegs
08/07/2002, 09:26 AM
I've got to say it was really great. We got in 8 dives. The wall was really amazing, we maxed at 60' and it still looked like it never ended. We also did a wreck dive, which was pretty cool. Since we have nothing to really compare it to we were extremely satisfied. Some of the more rare sights (so we were told) we saw were: a spanish mackrel, lobster, barracuda, squid, and a sea turtle.
Basically we did the quarry for our checkout dives. Can't say I really enjoyed it. The water was about 55 degrees and very murky.

Paul B
08/07/2002, 04:09 PM
JREGS
I guess you dove at the Pitons. It's a really nice dive, one of my favorites. I like it because you are a few feet from shore and the water there goes down 900 feet. The Caribbean dive sites are pretty much the same with the same wildlife the only big difference in the bottom, some are flat and some are very mountainous. The Pacific is a nice change because there are different fish and volcanic islands.