PDA

View Full Version : Yo, Dr. Hank, your Lionfish is poisonous!!

Mr James
10/20/2006, 07:57 AM
I didn't know that, see here: http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=428&parent_category=4&category_search=61&root_parent_id=4

TheGriffin
10/20/2006, 08:43 AM
Yeah, a friend over in p'cola always had to be careful with his dwarf lion. They supposedly wont actively attack your hand in the tank but you don’t want to get to close and make a move that might lead them to think he is in danger. Otherwise you might be making a trip to go see Phildirt:mixed:

Are the stings pretty bad or more like a bee sting?

hooker18
10/20/2006, 06:34 PM
i got hit by a volitan(sp?) that was about a 9 inches long and it just made my arm swell up and the veins got a bit darker. but it may be just me, hornet stings just leave a small spot on my skin.

flfirefighter13
10/20/2006, 07:08 PM
My fuzzy dwarf nicked me once and it hurt pretty bad, He did not manage to get a spine sunk in though. FYI foxfaces are another species that supposedly has a very similiar venom in the dorsal spines, luckily my fox is a pansy and runs and hides whenever Im in the tank doing anything. Also I have been told that the venom in these fish is very similar to bee stings and iff you are allergic to bee stings you can plan on the same reactions. Im not sure of the truth of this statement but It would be well worth some research if your allergic.

DrHank
10/20/2006, 08:07 PM
Mr James. I know he is! My wife and kids had to have him. He's also a nocturnal predator, loves krill and feeder guppies, and can sting as well as any wasp you may have been unfortunate enough to encounter. The venom breaks down in hot water, NOT COLD, and so far I've been fortunate enough to never have been stung. I personally hope that I never am. hooker18 got lucky, volitan venom is a lot more toxic than the dwarf fuzzy and 9 inches is a good sized volitan. Remember that although I love reefs, my tank is a FOWLR with possibly some exceptions. I doubt that many (if any) of the club members would want a Coral Beauty or Majestic Angel in their reefs but they are both on my to be added later list.

Tigger240
10/20/2006, 08:22 PM
ive seen this on tv, where a guy got poked by one, and he used hot water, as hot as he could stand, and it didnt really help. i think the severe pain lasted like 6-12 hours. it was on tv a while ago

DrHank
10/20/2006, 08:40 PM
Are you sure it didn't help! I'm not saying that the hot water is going to eliminate the reaction. I'm saying it it does break down the toxin. There have been many deaths from volitan stings by people living in the indo-pacific area. The guy on tv may well have been one too had he not used hot water. Even with my dwarf fuzzy, if I get stung, I'm doing the same thing as the guy on tv. Trust me on this one, hot water (as hot as you can stand for a good five minutes).