PDA

View Full Version : LR question

medic29
10/20/2006, 01:41 AM
I've got some live rock that I picked up for my new tank I'm setting up. I'm not going to need it for about a week. I put it in a tub in some saltwater. I've got a pump circulating the water and just for giggles I put an extra skimmer I had in the tub.

How much flow/circulation do I need in this tub to keep the live rock stable?

Does the temperature matter? I have the tub out in the garage, but do I need to bring it in the house?

Now....the pump I am using is a shallow well pump (it's made to pump drinking water from a well to the house and/or storage tank. It is currently moving a lot of water via it's 1" outlet. I'm not sure if any of this is an issue or not.

Any and all advice and/or comments are appreciated.

smorrow5773
10/20/2006, 06:58 AM
The more flow the better to clean out the pores of the rock, definitely keep it at 78d or warmer though, or it will cycle even worse from the dieoff.

LegoZ81
10/20/2006, 07:45 AM
Also you may wish to ensure that there are not copper or brass parts on the pump.

brad23
10/20/2006, 08:13 AM
Make sure you keep the temp up.

medic29
10/20/2006, 08:56 AM
The impeller and housing is a hard plastic; I have not added any heaters to the tub as of yet. I went out and checked it this morning and the temp of the water in the tank is warm, probably mid 80s or so. I believe it is from the friction from the impeller and the water. The impeller housing is warm as is all of the piping. The pump itself is running cool; although it is really loud out there. I couldn't imagine having it in the house!

I'm wondering if I should go pick up a magnetic driven pump made for ponds/aquariums for this purpose. I have yet picked up one that I am going to use for my return pump. I really don't know much about them whether they will use less energy and I would assume it will be quieter.

ScottCooper
10/20/2006, 10:06 AM
may want to get a pump made for salt - the housing is only part of the concern. are there copper fittings/bushings inside holding the impeller is the question.

medic29
10/20/2006, 10:20 AM
Oh......didn't know about that....

smorrow5773
10/20/2006, 10:46 AM
The pond pumps that Menard's sells are all plastic, I use a couple of them in my setup, and alot cheaper than pet store prices. They tend to be seasonal though, and the ones from Lowe's and HD have metal in contact with water.

Michelle L
10/20/2006, 10:51 AM
Also, don't forget to provide the rock with light. I made this mistake and all of the living stuff died off of the rock...the bristleworms that infested the rock REEKED after they died. :eek:

smorrow5773
10/20/2006, 10:58 AM
Is that what your old signature line was all about..lol?

MattAranda
10/20/2006, 11:43 AM
I just purchased a 90 gallon that came with a RIO 3100... rated for 900 GPH, if you want to borrow that you can pick it up whenever if you are in town here.

Michelle L
10/20/2006, 11:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8379342#post8379342 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smorrow5773
Is that what your old signature line was all about..lol?

Oh, stinky cheese would have been a blessing after smelling dead bristleworms....OMG it was awful.

ScottCooper
10/20/2006, 12:20 PM
"No, really honey, that wasn't me, it was skimmate..."

Benny Z
10/20/2006, 12:38 PM
buwahahahahaha!

back to bums and magnesium. :D

now where did i put that match? :eek2:

ScottCooper
10/20/2006, 12:55 PM
I just know that we had a saltwater pump with a copper bushing (I forget the name,and the've since fixed the problem - it was about 5 years ago) and we kept getting low copper readings...finally figured it out.

medic29
10/20/2006, 01:24 PM
The pump I'm using is a Craftsman shallow well pump; its not susposed to have any metal inside the impeller region, but I'm not sure.

Where at Menards are the pond pumps located. I've found the well pumps, but they are very similar to what I have.

How much light does the rock need? I was thinking about just using a "grow light". Would that work?

I'm getting a decent amount of white foam on top of the water, not sure why. I have a skimmer running in the tub and it has some brownish foam and discolored water in the colection cup. But, not sure what is causing the white foam.

Matt, I might take you up on borrowing that pump from you. It would give me a good reason to come over and pick up some gondollas (sp?) from Avanti's. I miss them since I moved down here from Peoria. Might you be available early this evening?

Thanks to all!!

MattAranda
10/20/2006, 01:45 PM
hahah GONDOLAS!! Good call! I get off of work at 6 PM but I have roommates at my place that could put the pump in my mail box if that is too late for ya. Just PM me and let me know what works. I have another powerhead that is smaller if you want some more flow.

ScottCooper
10/20/2006, 01:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8380258#post8380258 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by medic29
The pump I'm using is a Craftsman shallow well pump; its not susposed to have any metal inside the impeller region, but I'm not sure.

Where at Menards are the pond pumps located. I've found the well pumps, but they are very similar to what I have.

in the garden center, if they are the pumps I'm assuming was meant...they are probably gone as the ponding season is over - fall is a great time to dig a pond, but not set one up ;)

MattAranda
10/20/2006, 04:26 PM
well medic I have included a PM with my phone number if you plan to come into town. I will make it home a little bit later in the evening and will be available all weekend if needed. Feel free to give me a call.

medic29
10/20/2006, 04:28 PM
I'm sending you a PM