PDA

View Full Version : reactor is runnin'

60Cubed
10/18/2006, 12:12 AM
i now have a calcium reactor! just hope i don't cook my tank! i shouldn't but it has happened before to the experienced. wish me luck.

lance

Mr James
10/18/2006, 06:19 AM
Hook that thing to your Auacontroller and it should be fine. Whatdo you mean by "cooked my tank"?? What CR did you get??

60Cubed
10/18/2006, 07:47 PM
IMO james, to build a calcium reactor, or any type of cylinder type equipment, a tube is a tube. how a reactor is designed, it's really just a tube with a couple of hoses coming off of it. it's a precision marine. it works, i just never have had one hooked up before. and i hooked it up! just nervous. everything went fine today. it will be ok.

lance

Mr James
10/18/2006, 09:29 PM
That's right, I remember you said you got the PM CR.

TheGriffin
10/19/2006, 08:02 AM
Hey guys, I am trying to set mine up also and had a question. Have you tested the pH and Ca levels of the reactor output and what are you getting? :strooper:

Oh, and check out the beautiful Flasher Wrasses they have in the Divers Den. WOW! And finally on the last page of the Den there is a awesome Spotted Sailfin Tang for only $3,299.99! Do you think the bank would give me a loan for a fish?

TheGriffin
10/19/2006, 03:49 PM
Ignore that last part. It got edited to the wrong post. :eek2:

60Cubed
10/19/2006, 08:35 PM
i have a probe in my reactor. it is set to shut co2 off at 6.5 and on at 6.6. my calcium is around 450 in my tank right now. my alk is around 13-14 dkh. the dkh is a little high. i buffed it to try and get the ph in the tank up a little. my ph is 7.8 by my tank monitor. don't know how to get it up any higher without buffer. can't buffer anymore because of dkh. i am just going to leave it alone for a while see what happens!
lance

Mr James
10/19/2006, 09:15 PM
My probe is in the sump and I read the pH of th tank, as that is the measurement I want to ultimately control. It's funny, but most people i know have their probe monitoring the water in the reactor. I have my solenoid set to shut off if the pH gets below 8.2 I haven't measured my Mg, Alk or Ca in a while, but since eveything is growing fine and sprouting, they bust be in check. Ya know, I really only measure once a month.

Lance, outside air will help to bring your pH up. I know today was hot, but try opening a window, near the tank, in the evening. It worked for me. I set my air pump in the window and pumped outside air into the air intake of my skimmer (Beckett style skimmer). Opening all of the windows in the house, even for a day is the best thing. A/C units produce huge amounts of carbon dioxide (I think) and that is robbing your tank of it's oxygen supply. I suck at explaining the "why's". I read all of that in the chemistry forum.

60Cubed
10/19/2006, 10:02 PM
another problem i am having is when my co2 comes back on there are hardly any bubbles. i adjust the co2 and it works fine until the next time. then no co2. it is a new reg with a new soleniod. i can't figure it out. any suggestions?
lance

Mr James
10/19/2006, 11:53 PM
Open the top knob most of the way, the one on top of the cylinder. Then there is the black knob on the regulator, open that until the dial on the right,it's needle should be about the 8 or 9:00 position. Do you have a fine tune knob on the regulator?? The fine tune knob is the one that adjusts the bubble count.

TheGriffin
10/20/2006, 07:05 AM
Yeah, most of us have a small needle valve to control the CO2 flow. It's in addition to the regulator and bottle valves. The knob for it is usually is pretty small, about the size of a pencil eraser. I was courious what yall pH was in the reactor. Mine was reading around 6.7 and that seemed high to me. I didnt know if that was normal or not (worried that it might not be working correctly).

Heres another question for thoes of you with 2 chamber units. In your fist chamber (not the output one) do you have a valve at the top? If you do, is it just a vent (to let out accumalating gas) or is it the line to the next chamber? I dont have one on that chamber at the top so it keep collecting more and more bubbles until it stops the flow. I am fixing to install a line up there but dont know where to pump it to the next chamber or just do a vent.

Mr James
10/20/2006, 08:05 AM
I am going to try and take a picturee of my regulator, mark it with Paint and post it. That'll take a couple hours if I am lucky.

60Cubed
10/20/2006, 08:06 AM
mine doesn't have a second chamber, so i wouldn't know about that. i do have a needle valve, but it just doesn't seem to be a very precise device. i'll have it set, then the solenoid shuts off. when comes back on there is little or no co2 bubbling out. i can adjust the bubbles again, then when it comes back on same thing. i might invest in a better needle valve. still can't post pics. lost.
lance

Mr James
10/20/2006, 04:32 PM
You read and follwed this: http://www.reefcentral.com/faqs/imgcode/IMGCODE.htm

60Cubed
10/21/2006, 12:07 AM
yeah i did that. it's a lot of work. i am going to try photobucket. see if it works. i do have the needle valve on my regulator. it is a brand new set up. the needle valve just isn't sensitive enough. tonight the reactor hit 6.5 inside, the solenoid shut off and the co2 is still on. but the bubble count is perfect. so perfect, i watched it for over a hour and it never changed from 6.5. will check it again in a little bit. the solenoid is off. i unplugged the solenoid and still co2. that makes me nervous kinda sorta in a way. but if the counter is perfectly set, i don't need the solenoid! no, i will find out what is wrong and fix it.

lance

jdieck
10/21/2006, 12:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8384112#post8384112 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 60Cubed
yeah i did that. it's a lot of work. i am going to try photobucket. see if it works. i do have the needle valve on my regulator. it is a brand new set up. the needle valve just isn't sensitive enough. tonight the reactor hit 6.5 inside, the solenoid shut off and the co2 is still on. but the bubble count is perfect. so perfect, i watched it for over a hour and it never changed from 6.5. will check it again in a little bit. the solenoid is off. i unplugged the solenoid and still co2. that makes me nervous kinda sorta in a way. but if the counter is perfectly set, i don't need the solenoid! no, i will find out what is wrong and fix it.

lance
Acouple of coments here:

a) With the solenoid electrical cord unpluged there shall be no CO2 flow after a wile as the solenoid is supposed to shut off the CO2 when de-energized. If a fter a couple of minutes there is still CO2 flow with the solenoid disconected you have a leaking solenoid.

b) The issue of maintaining the bubbles could be an issue of regulator sensitivity rather than an issue of the needle valve. To help this as mentioned by Mr James insure that the cylinder valve is fully open and adjust the output pressure of the regulator to 25 psi using the regulator center body knob. Always adjust the Knob when there is CO2 flowing otherwise the pressure will drop as soon as the CO2 is open.

c) Try adjusting the reactor without relying in the cntroller, that way the controller will switch on and off a lot less extending its life and the life of the solenoid, in addition if the controller fails to close your tank PH will not drop excessively due to excess CO2.

d) There is not a set reactor PH or effluent rate, each tank Alkalinity consumption is different and the reactor's addition has to be adjusted to match the consumption, If your alkalinity is increasing reduce the CO2 bubble rate and if it is dropping increase the CO2 bubble rate. If you are already at 6.5 in the reactor, instead of increasing the bubble rate increase the reactor effluent.

e) Never try to increase the tank alkalinity with the reactor or you will never achieve stability, if by chance your alkalinity is low but stable, make an adjustment with a supplement.

f) It is normal to have small fluctuations troughout the day, once it is stable very little adjustments if any are necessary.

Enjoy the new toy!

jdieck
10/21/2006, 12:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8378180#post8378180 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TheGriffin
Yeah, most of us have a small needle valve to control the CO2 flow. It's in addition to the regulator and bottle valves. The knob for it is usually is pretty small, about the size of a pencil eraser. I was courious what yall pH was in the reactor. Mine was reading around 6.7 and that seemed high to me. I didnt know if that was normal or not (worried that it might not be working correctly).

Heres another question for thoes of you with 2 chamber units. In your fist chamber (not the output one) do you have a valve at the top? If you do, is it just a vent (to let out accumalating gas) or is it the line to the next chamber? I dont have one on that chamber at the top so it keep collecting more and more bubbles until it stops the flow. I am fixing to install a line up there but dont know where to pump it to the next chamber or just do a vent.
As I mentioned above the specific level of PH is not important as far as it maintains a constant alkalinity in your tank. Use it as a reference to set the reactor back to whatever PH it was in case there is a change like when reloading media.

Regarding the question on the top line that is the most usual way.
If you have accumulation of bubbles and you can tap a line from top do it so. Cancel the line you are using today and instead use the line from the top of the first chamber to feed the second chamber.

60Cubed
10/22/2006, 12:35 AM
i am having a problem with my needle valve. i cannot adjust the bubble count to maintain a constant flow because the needle valve is not sensitive enough. there is either to much or not enough co2. and when the solenoid comes back on, there is no co2. i can re-adjust the co2 then it does the same thing. i know people have reactors with proper ph and no bubble problems. is there a better needle valve i can buy? this one sucks!

lance

jdieck
10/22/2006, 12:55 AM
lance, what is the pressure in your outlet regulator? If the pressure is too high (above 15 to 25 psi) the needle valve becomes extremely snesitive.

60Cubed
10/22/2006, 01:27 AM
that is what the problem is. it doesn't matter. i have adjusted that gauge from lowest to highest and in between. it makes no difference. this is a brand new set up also. it has to be in the valve. has to be. is there a more sensitive valve i can buy?

jdieck
10/22/2006, 03:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8389684#post8389684 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 60Cubed
that is what the problem is. it doesn't matter. i have adjusted that gauge from lowest to highest and in between. it makes no difference. this is a brand new set up also. it has to be in the valve. has to be. is there a more sensitive valve i can buy?
Yes there are but there are not cheap.
www.mcmaster.com
Look for item 7832K22
Havin said that I have seem many reactors with the same issue and 99% of the time it is adjustment so be patient.

Check that you have CO2 in the cylinder. What is the reading of the gauge closer to the cylinder when the valve is fully open? CO2 is a silly gas. It is liquid inside the cylinder due to the pressure, as the gas in the cylinder is consummed the pressure drops, the liquid boils to replace the gas used and the pressure in the cylinder is estored as far as there is still liquid CO2 in the cylinder so, the pressure on the inlet will always be the same (Accountin for some variation in cylinder temperature) and will not drop until the cylinder is already empty. I would say if the inlet gauge indicates 700 psi or less the cylinder is empty.

Check that the center regulator knob is adjusted when CO2 is flowing. If you adjust it when the needle valve or the solenoid are closed the pressure will drop and the CO2 flow will stop some time after opening. So isure you are adjusting the ouput pressure gauge to 15 psi while the CO2 is bubbling, make small adjustments to the knob at a time and waith 15 minutes before making another one.

How are you feeding water to the reactor? Do you have a continuous effluent flow out of the reactor? How much is it? If it is not continuous it may indicate variations in the feed pressure which may afect the CO2 flow.

Finally try removing the CO2 check valve, if the problem improves the check valve may need replacement.

Mr James
10/22/2006, 07:40 AM
Below is a picture of my regulator in operation. The top nob should be open all the way. The front nob will control your output (I think). The dial on the left tells the pressure inside your cylinder. and rthe dial on the right should read 25 psi ON THE INNER CIRCLE of numbers!!

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/7762DSC04698.JPG

60Cubed
10/22/2006, 10:52 AM
james, mine looks exactly like yours. exactly. i'll look at my check valve. today it seems to be working fine. the co2 bottle was just refilled. it is completely full. my reactor is tee'd off my return pump @1200 gph so that is fine. my drip is constant so that is ok. i really don't understand why the needle valve is so touchy. it will go from great to nothing. at this point jdieck, the price is not the issue. you would give anything to keep your tank from crashing from co2 after the fact! so if i have to buy a better valve i will. i would probably feel a little safer at night, so i might do it anyway.
thanks for your help. ever since i set this reactor up, i cannot get my ph above 7.8 in my tank. james, i tried running a hose from outside to my skimmer input. no change. my tank is really close to my front door. i would think there would be enough fresh air coming in. reguardless it didn't help! i think i am going to set up a devise to only replenish my top off at night. maybe that will help with the kalk dosing. thanks guys. i will keep experimenting with it til i get it right.
lance