PDA

View Full Version : BN fish store sell out

newreefer2
10/17/2006, 09:39 PM
If you want to see what is being sold. http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=236593
will take you to the thread.

by the way - The first meeting of the club was great. If you didn't make it you will want to try to make the next meeting.

GreenBay1
10/17/2006, 09:48 PM
Oh man that is cold. I would just go with the prosecution.

hounddog01
10/17/2006, 10:04 PM
I would file an injunction and see if you can stop the sale of any of his equipment until he gives you the tank back. Maybe MarineJudge had an opinion on your options.

Michelle L
10/17/2006, 10:13 PM
Nevermind, don't want to violate any RC rules.

brad23
10/17/2006, 10:15 PM
Isn't it 3.5 rows?

GreenBay1
10/17/2006, 10:21 PM
TMR is the only lfs in town that had 800 gallon water tanks. It is probably a hired liquidator to try and sale the stuff. However, before they go selling everything, they should at least go through the books and find out what was already spoken for. And on the same note, nobody can get in touch with the owner to get any information. I do think we need to be careful on how we post here now, we may get in trouble for editorializing. I will probably get in trouble for saying this, but is the truth and I am just looking out for everybody in the club.

Michelle L
10/17/2006, 10:23 PM
True.

brad23
10/17/2006, 10:27 PM
I know if my stuff was in there I would have been in contact with the police a long time ago.

hounddog01
10/17/2006, 10:45 PM
I agree. I do not think we are saying anything bad about a LFS that is still in business. I am not sure if that is the rule or you can say things about someone who is not in business that owes many club members purchased items.

AslanTheKing
10/17/2006, 11:08 PM
If I can pass this up with no comment, considering my history with TMR, I hope others can as well. I'm doing my part this week to get newreefer's tank back. We all need to support newreefer. Increasing his anxiety, in my estimation, isn't truly supportive. Here's to helping a guy in a bad situation without totally trashing another couple of guys in a bad situation. ;-)

Peace

Kevin

hounddog01
10/17/2006, 11:40 PM
Your right Kevin. This is for support and to be positive.

Michelle L
10/18/2006, 05:06 AM
Being positive and supportive, yes.

However, we need to be careful not to give advice that borders on what some might consider legal advice or possibly a slanderous situation.

I'm not saying anything negative about what has been said so far or any of our members here, by any means. I'm trying to put the brakes on any future conversation that may involve these elements. Just being cautious.

Horace
10/18/2006, 11:45 AM
Just curious, but have you tried contacting the owners of the mall? It was my understading that they are the ones that have the place locked up until they get paid. Perhaps they will allow you to get your property?

petercaras
10/18/2006, 03:48 PM
From the post/thread I don't have much information on the circumstances of how this lfs came to have possession of newreefer's tank. Newreefer or anyone feel free to provide me with some information. A lot of thoughts are going through my mind, but I don't have enough info. to form any definitive conclusion. Also, I'm not familiar w/RC rules & regs re. content of subject matter for posts & threads.
All members please bear w/me as I get used to acronyms, handles, rules, regs, communicating with this forum, etc.
Sometimes, communication and peaceful methods work best. Work from the top and not the bottom. If this place is in a strip mall or part of some larger facility, try the owner, operator, manager, etc. Yes, I'm aware of unsuccessful email attempts evidently already made by newreefer or someone.. I don't know all that has been done, so I'll say no more at this time.

MarineJudge2

Horace
10/18/2006, 04:31 PM
What happend was The Mad Reefer ordered stuff that was pre-paid by some customers. When they were forced to close, the items that customers have already paid for are now locked up and neither the customer or the owners of the former business can get to them apparently.

There was also a case of a person who bought a very large and expensive fish and the same thing happend. However, they got the fish out and it wound up at a local fish store for sale....even though it already had a rightful owner. Others have also pre-paid for items that the business never ordered. So needless to say, its a big mess! Some very unhappy people and rightfully so!

FloatingFish
10/18/2006, 05:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8362293#post8362293 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AslanTheKing
If I can pass this up with no comment, considering my history with TMR, I hope others can as well. I'm doing my part this week to get newreefer's tank back. We all need to support newreefer. Increasing his anxiety, in my estimation, isn't truly supportive. Here's to helping a guy in a bad situation without totally trashing another couple of guys in a bad situation. ;-)

Peace

Kevin

Isn't it your job to turn the other cheek?:D

AslanTheKing
10/18/2006, 07:53 PM
It is kind of an occupational hazard. I have to admit that. It serves me well otherwise, though. ;-)

Peace
Kevin

petercaras
10/18/2006, 09:24 PM
I've posted a pm to newreefer2.

GreenBay1
10/18/2006, 10:25 PM
Read my signature, that's all I have to say.

hubris007
10/18/2006, 10:27 PM
Man, i wouldn't mind having one tier of those displa tanks. Wonder what he wants for them.

petercaras
10/19/2006, 07:26 AM
My concern is with future problems and avoiding what had happened with the lfs in b/n. What is the usual practice for purchasing items from a lfs? I wouldn't think prepaying is typical, but I don't really know. I could talk to any store we do business with regarding the "security" of any of our deposits, purchases, orders, etc.
I've read some of your comments about AGE and I find it puzzling and disturbing. As Bill Clinton has said, when he enters a room he often realizes that he is the oldest person in the room. I share that realization. I continue to be very active and do a lot despite my age. As I have often said, I need two lifetimes to do all that I am interested in.

Peter

ScottCooper
10/19/2006, 08:00 AM
I've attempted to aquire the contents of the building. They did not like my offer. I made an offer based on really only wanting the wall unit a chiller, and sterilizer system, knowing I would need a pump, skimmers, t-5 lights etc., which are in the possesion of the prior owner(yes it is not 4 two sided units it is three, with a wall unit). My offer included the hauling away of everything else. I can't house it all. I suppose if they can't sell it, I will get it. keep those fingers crossed - If I can get it all, the 120 will go back to newreefer2.

Horace
10/19/2006, 08:01 AM
Peter,

It is not that uncommon to pre-pay for items. For example, when I bought my tank from a store here in town, they didnt have the one I wanted in stock, so they ordered it for me. I had to pay upfront the cost of the whole setup. I wouldnt have thought anything of it had I ordered from TMR. I dont think anyone saw TMR closing quite like they did. Many of us were thinking thier days were numbered at one point, but I dont think anyone saw that coming :(.

As for age, thats the wonderful thing about this hobby, it seriously ranges from little kids all the way through the elderly (I am in no way saying your elderly btw :))

ScottCooper
10/19/2006, 08:12 AM
...or maybe it's time for a BNARC group buy, and I can sweeten the offer and pull it all out of there...thoughts?

petercaras
10/19/2006, 09:47 AM
Horace,

Thanks for the info.

Peter.

LegoZ81
10/19/2006, 09:59 AM
You may need to deal with the mall not Guy:
This is a sample Illinois Residental lease, the commercial one will be different but this will gve you an idea of what the mall has potential power to do:
22. ABANDONMENT. If at any time during the term of this Agreement Tenant abandons the Premises or any part thereof, Landlord may, at Landlord's option, obtain possession of the Premises in the manner provided by law, and without becoming liable to Tenant for damages or for any payment of any kind whatever. Landlord may, at Landlord's discretion, as agent for Tenant, relet the Premises, or any part thereof, for the whole or any part thereof, for the whole or any part of the then unexpired term, and may receive and collect all rent payable by virtue of such reletting, and, at Landlord's option, hold Tenant liable for any difference between the rent that would have been payable under this Agreement during the balance of the unexpired term, if this Agreement had continued in force, and the net rent for such period realized by Landlord by means of such reletting. If Landlord's right of reentry is exercised following abandonment of the Premises by Tenant, then Landlord shall consider any personal property belonging to Tenant and left on the Premises to also have been abandoned, in which case Landlord may dispose of all such personal property in any manner Landlord shall deem proper and Landlord is hereby relieved of all liability for doing so.

MattAranda
10/19/2006, 10:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8371025#post8371025 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ScottCooper
...or maybe it's time for a BNARC group buy, and I can sweeten the offer and pull it all out of there...thoughts?

How could the group contribute to a group buy? When I went in there the store was very bare. Did they have any products that a hobbyist would be interested in, filters, sumps, skimmers, tanks, etc? I would be willing to contribute money if there are any products that suit my tanks' needs.

ScottCooper
10/19/2006, 10:36 AM
Re: Group buy- there are a couple of folks interested in an 8 foot section of acrylic. there is little more than what was listed on the other forum. The livestock is gone, the pumps, the lights, the skimmers...it is if you want a fragging tank, or some other purpose.

ScottCooper
10/19/2006, 10:43 AM
...but basically the mall manager wants to sell it all in one transaction, so I thought maybe...

MattAranda
10/19/2006, 11:40 AM
What kind of offer are they looking for on the package? Do they have it itemized at all so that we can consider buying an 8 foot partition and put money in for JUST that?

ScottCooper
10/19/2006, 11:54 AM
they want a price for the whole thing. you decide what you want, and how much, we add it to the pot, and if we get it, then we go get our stuff. so we aren't really just putting money in a pot for this. we would put a specific list together. It just occured to me in reading this thread that there may be others interested in parts, but not the whole. I certainly can't handle the whole. I can put a halfway decent list together for the group.

ScottCooper
10/19/2006, 12:02 PM
this was the offer on saltwaterfish forum:
"Remaining equipment contents of closed saltwater reef store in Central Illinois available for immediate liquidation. Less than 1 year old. Includes 4 rows of double-sided, triple tiered plexi display tanks in 8' sections (24' each row, four rows), four sumps, 2 UV components, and chiller. Also includes (2) 800 Gallon water storage tanks. Must liquidate ASAP. Email me with name, number and location and I will call to discuss. Good Luck." -- there are no individual prices, and it really isn't 4, it is 3 and one wall unit...I want the wall unit, sump, chiller, and sterilizer. I would like a 2nd row, sump, sterilizer, and the 800 gallon tanks...then, of couse, I offered to remove it all, and sell the rest myself as I don't have room...but I may have to skip that, and just focus on the part I could really use = one wall system.

GreenBay1
10/19/2006, 12:05 PM
I really think that for the best interest of the club in mind, we should stop this thread.

ScottCooper
10/19/2006, 12:07 PM
sorry - new to this...I'm out.

GreenBay1
10/19/2006, 12:11 PM
Well I am not saying you did anything wrong, just that we are bordering on legal advice in spots.

ScottCooper
10/19/2006, 12:19 PM
got it.

GreenBay1
10/19/2006, 12:48 PM
Cool Scott, thanks for the understanding.

brad23
10/19/2006, 01:52 PM
Scott I don't think there is anything worng with you talking about doing some kind of buy here.

But the legal advice and such needs to go.

ScottCooper
10/19/2006, 02:00 PM
O.k. I thought I was making ripples here. new thread, or what is the next step?

brad23
10/19/2006, 02:18 PM
A new thread might be a better choice at this time and asked if there is any intrest in anyone else wanting to buy what is left.