PDA

View Full Version : Really stupid question, BUT

kitestir9
06/23/2002, 08:16 PM
Is it possible to snorkel/dive if you do not really know how to swim? I can swim laps in a pool(a couple) but never really learned to tread water and swim well. I know it is probably not possible, but people have told me that it is not really swimming when you have full dive equipment and snorkeling can be done in some shallow water.

Thanks for any comments!

billsreef
06/23/2002, 08:59 PM
Good swimming skills are essential for when things go wrong. A lot of it has to do with your comfort level in the water. Basically the better you are at swimming, the more comfortable you are and the less likely to panic if something goes awry.

For snorkeling, it can be a good possibility for you in the right settings. Shallow enclosed reefs with some strong swimmers for buddy's would be the safest way to go. Some snorkel tour operators run good operations for begginers that will keep you safe and still let you have a good time.

On the diving subject, that equipment is cumbersome and really requires your swimming to be essentialy as second nature as walking is. Not something to do if your swimming skills are not good. Best thing to do is go get wet and practice, start doing some laps and work on the treading water bit, it's usually the first thing they make you do in a dive course any way ;) The better you get swimming the more you'll enjoy snorkeling and then you can go for that diving certification :)

Mad Scientist
06/24/2002, 02:48 PM
You should take some swimming lessons at a quality place like the YMCA, then you'll be ready to learn some cool ways to explore the reefs.

AzSnake
06/24/2002, 03:21 PM
If I recall correctly most dive shops will have you swim 200 yards and then tred water for I believe 5 min but it may be more before you actuall start your pool lessons.

G-money
06/24/2002, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I would make sure you are confident in your swimming ability. Otherwise, many snorkel-type places on the beach will also rent inflatable vests. My girlfriend has done just that, as she is not a swimmer. She has a blast even though she can't dive in for a closer look. There is also the added bouyancy of saltwater that works with you.... Just be careful!

Hippity dippity
07/02/2002, 08:24 PM
Every official publication I read before I took my course said you didn't need to be that great a swimmer before I actually started the course but my instructor had me and my buddy swim 36 laps and then tread water for 10 minutes. One lap had to be entirely underwater from already in the water (couldn't cheat with a running dive). Tell you what, I fish I isn't. That crap sucked but I can definitely see where it would come in useful.

ranaman
07/04/2002, 06:59 AM
I think you'll find that where you get certified makes a difference in how much swimming in a pool you do. I remember somebody I knew in high school doing the YMCA program talking about doing laps. This was in the Chicago area where the open water sessions where in old quarries. When I took the PADI in Miami,Fl course all our pool session involved basic gear operation. The open water dives where basically the "kentucky windage" each a little deeper with chances for a bit more current.

AzSnake
07/24/2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Hippity dippity
Every official publication I read before I took my course said you didn't need to be that great a swimmer before I actually started the course but my instructor had me and my buddy swim 36 laps and then tread water for 10 minutes. One lap had to be entirely underwater from already in the water (couldn't cheat with a running dive). Tell you what, I fish I isn't. That crap sucked but I can definitely see where it would come in useful.

Dude your Instructor was completely Psycho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mad Scientist
07/25/2002, 08:24 PM
You don't have to be strong swimmer or even be in good shape to dive, untill you get into trouble in the water......then you're screwed.

pamsreef
07/25/2002, 09:07 PM
I completed a Padi course in the last 6 months and was given a choice of swimming 10 laps in the pool or 15 laps in the pool with snorkel and fins. I chose the 15 laps since I am not a strong swimmer.

IMO, after learning to dive, snorkeling seems harder. Just my
2 cents.

Pam

lightning
08/06/2002, 12:13 PM
then tred water for I believe 5 min but it may be more before you actuall start your pool lessons.

what only 5 minutes?!?!!?!? i had to do it for 15 or 20!
you got lucky!

lightning
08/06/2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by kitestir9
people have told me that it is not really swimming when you have full dive equipment and snorkeling can be done in some shallow water.

Thanks for any comments!

well actuly it is possible. but if somthing gose wrong, go find a nice big hungry shark to get it over with...