PDA

View Full Version : UW Photography gear suggestions?

arcab4
06/23/2002, 07:17 PM
hi guys,

i start my PADI classes next week (can't wait!) but i figure i might as well get a headstart on researching on UW photography which is something i want to get into.

i was wondering what kind of gear you guys have and what you recommend. any sites u can recommend would be great. oh yeah...got any recommendations on scuba gear would be great. i haven't bought my gear yet.

i'm in Southern Cali so i heard even tho it's not as colorful as other places..the kelp forest is a sight to see. can't wait.

thanks!

Johnny

billsreef
06/23/2002, 08:48 PM
A lot depends on what your looking to do for your photographs. There are some decent point and shoot UW camera set ups that good for snapshots without spending a fortune on gear. If you already have a SLR film camera or a decent digital buying a housing and strobe will be a great way to go.

arcab4
06/23/2002, 10:26 PM
i have a canon s100 which i doubt is goign to work great underwater. it's just a great lil' tiny camera to take around. i was going to upgrade to a higher pixel digicam for underwater photography.

any recommendations on terms of housing/strobe? is there a site for such things? i did a search but didn't really find a quality site about underwater photography.

thanks!

dennisV
06/24/2002, 05:17 AM
My suggestion is WAIT.

First thing to do is to get experience in diving. You need perfect bouyancy to take pictures. Study the animals to get those great pics.

After that I suggest a digital camera in an underwater housing.
I 've used the motormarine II in the past, but the results were never as good as I got with the digital one. Plus, you get to seen immediately when the pic is wrong.
The most frustrating thing about shooting with a non-digital camera is coming home, developing the pics and seeing that those unique shots of that beautiful coral/fish/whale... are under- or overexposed.

But, first things first. Learn to dive, learn your gear, study, take pics...enjoy

Bomber
06/24/2002, 08:45 AM
Johnny,

I suggest looking into a Olympus 40-40 and the Pt-010 housing. Here's some links for you too.

http://forums.deeperblue.net/forumdisplay.php?forumid=20

http://www.wetpixel.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19

http://www.underwaterdigital.net/home.htm

HTH
Jerel

arcab4
06/24/2002, 01:02 PM
dennisV, yup. i totally agree. i just wanted to do some early research to see what's out there or not. after this class..i plan on taking an underwater photography class and then buy a camera. i want to do things the right way the first time. but thanks for the suggestion. :)

bomber, thanks for the links. i'll take a look around and do some more research. :D

oceanjunkie
06/25/2002, 04:25 PM
I second wetpixel.com

I found some good info there and recieved some good advice on the forums. I'm thinking about getting a digital at the end of the summer. I'm pretty set on the olympus cam w/ olympus housing. Bomber's suggestion for the 4040 and the PT010 is what I've been looking at, but they have just come out with the D40 camera and PT 012 housing. It seems like a better setup and can go 10m deeper (up to 40m) than the other setup. It looks like a complete digicam setup is going to run about 700. I've seen example pics taken by the olympus without strobes and they look pretty good!

-JB

Bomber
06/25/2002, 06:18 PM
JB

Test out the 40-40 and the D40 before you buy one. The lens on the D40 is much smaller and doesn't work as well in low light. You will almost have to have a strobe, then you have to deal with backscatter.

HTH
Jerel

oceanjunkie
06/25/2002, 11:21 PM
Jerel-

Thanks for the tip! I'll put the 4040 back on my wish list :) .

-JB

dennisV
06/26/2002, 02:02 AM
I am very happy with the coolpix 995 in an ikelite housing and ds50 flashlight.

I have taken several pics with it in very dark and dusty water (belgium). the results were satisfying.
You can check them out at http://users.pandora.be/kdk/fotosbarges.htm

Paul B
06/30/2002, 05:06 PM
I have been using a Sea & Sea MX 10 with a YS 40 flash for a few years. I would not use it if it were not for the close up and wide angle lens. The close up is good for about 6" but I am waiting for them to offer a macro lens that will be good for about an inch. I don't just want a picture of a shrimp, I want a picture of a shrimp's face.

scbadiver
07/01/2002, 12:37 PM
As a new diver you will have lots of expensive gear to buy and lots to learn too. don't overwhelm yourself with stuff like dificult to use cameras. I have been diving for years and and have used Ikelite's Aquashots with great results. The latest is the Aquashot 35. It uses regular 35mm film, it is wide-angle and has a real easy to use macro kit too. The whole kit is inexpensive and has everything you need for point-and-shoot photos. do get the strobe, the extra lite makes a huge differnce in the color! You can also use the camera out of the case for any above water fun too.

arcab4
07/02/2002, 02:17 AM
hey scbadiver,

yeah..you're right. as a new diver...there is alot to buy. so i'm carefully doing my research b4 doing any purchases. i just had my first class tonight. it was just classroom (pool session is this weekend) and i can't wait.

thanks to everyone else for suggestions. i plan to take a uw photography class after this one...

johnny

NHreefer
07/25/2002, 02:03 PM
Don't get the p-012 for the d-40, you can't use external flash, only on the p-010.
Chris