PDA

View Full Version : looking for a good LFS in the OKC area ?

Ozzy
06/22/2002, 10:52 PM
Hello all
I'm ready for a road trip to OKC,any one know of a good LFS in that area
thanks -ozzy

Downer
06/23/2002, 01:35 AM
Hey Ozzy you might try The Reef Shop. I live in Lawton and took a trip up there to visit and came back with a few specimins. I have only done buisiness with them that one time but they seemed helpfull and they had nice prices, plus a very good selection, at least compared to what Lawton has to offer =).

Kyle McClain
06/24/2002, 09:00 AM
Ozzy

There are several shops in town, most of the shops do a good job with their live stock. Are you looking for Corals of fish ?

Kyle McClain

Ozzy
06/24/2002, 11:27 AM
thanks
corals
ozzy

DrkShadow
06/24/2002, 12:11 PM
I'm going to post a list of LFS's on our website in a few minutes if ya want to take a peak

Ozzy
06/24/2002, 05:31 PM
that would be great
thanks

DrkShadow
06/24/2002, 06:34 PM
Done

jonah
06/24/2002, 08:47 PM
The ones I go to most often are PetVet in MWC, ReefShop in OKC and Aquariums in Edmond. I bought a nice open brain at Aquariums a couple of weeks ago. PetVet has some of those snails that look like bumble bees right now and I think they have a shipment of corals coming in later this week (wends or thurs).

Darkshadow: Does Joe know you got his list?;) I invited him to our next meeting. He's got a nano reef.

SeanF
06/24/2002, 10:23 PM
Yes we do have an order of corals coming in Wednesday afternoon. Should have some nice SPS stuff. Should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 70-90 pieces. We ordered 2 boxes and left it up to our coral guy to fill 2 boxes with his nicest pieces so I don't even know what most of the stuff coming in yet is but I made sure to try to pick some nice SPS stuff for our side of the order. Look forward to seeing you all there. By the way I take requests. So if you are looking for something I will make a note and try to get it on my next order.

Don Davis
06/25/2002, 07:53 PM
Hey Ozzy, where are you coming from?

Just Curious,

Don

Downer
06/26/2002, 10:24 PM
Hey guys thats a great list. I did'nt know most of those suppliers existed :-).

Ozzy
06/26/2002, 10:36 PM
Hey Ozzy, where are you coming from?
whats up Don,I'll be headed your way from Tulsa
I'm going to post a list of LFS's on our website
Darkshadow,what web site :D
thanks all

Don Davis
06/27/2002, 07:04 AM
Here's the website, http://www.comasonline.org

I've heard there are some nice fish stores in Tulsa. Any recommendations? I might be up for a road trip to Tulsa in the next few weeks.

Later,

Don

Ozzy
06/28/2002, 10:26 AM
fish stores in Tulsa. Any recommendations?
we dont have as many as ya do in OKC,thats for sure and thanks for the link.....
back to Tulsa,we have
[list=1]
[/list=1] Aquarium Dynamics @ 9504-a 54th #270-3474
this store is kinda hard to get to at this point due to alot of road construction,they do have a very good selection of corals but nothing is priced so they hip shoot prices and are very pricey ,just to give ya an idea..the qt size of ESV @ $39.00,a 50gal bag of I.O. @ $20.,even the cheap crap Seaclone skimmer is sold @ $160.,as fare as the coral prices kinda hard to tell,sometimes they have a price or two on the glass,most of the time not and as much as I like the coral selection at A.D. I do not think I will shop the store anymore due to pricing and above all something of another nature that I found very disturbing,never the less I'll shop elsewhere,that is what spawned this thread.
[list=1]
[/list=1]Corals-N-Reefs
6104 e 71st *Summit Square*#491-7333
this store is the new guy in town,does not have as much to choose from as AD but is getting better,very clean shop and a bit better on the prices,AD is more the pro shop than this store is as fare as product goes,but you will find some nice corals
[list=1]
[/list=1] Love a Pet
81st street & 145 E. Ave in B.A. #259-9041
you can find a few corals in this store from time to time but nothing to call mom about,mostly fish
[list=1]
[/list=1] Tulsa Aquatics
this is a new store right next to A.D.
this is a fresh water only store and will soon be fresh and salt with corals as well
we do have others in Tulsa,but I just dont care for them myself
hth-Ozzy

ReeferKeith
06/28/2002, 09:05 PM
I'll just echo what Ozzy said about AD. They are very pricey. I was in there last week talking to the owner, telling her I was looking into getting a Remora Pro skimmer. She then informed me she had just gotten in a used Remora, not the pro, just the Remora skimmer. She said since it was used she would give me a good price on it. 180 bucks:eek1: I about fell over! As for stores here in Tulsa I normally go to the afore mentioned Love a Pet, or Pet Mart, not PetSmart, Pet Mart. It is on 81st and Lewis and they have very reasonable prices. I got a Velentini Puffer there about 2 weeks ago for 15 bucks! I have been to Corals and Reefs and was not impressed. When I was there it seemed that they had more dead fish in their tanks than live ones. There is also a store in Bixby. Bixby Fishery, the owner is by far the most friendly and knowledgeable person I have dealt with in the area.

Ozzy
06/28/2002, 11:42 PM
. Bixby Fishery, the owner is by far the most friendly and knowledgeable person I have dealt with in the area.
his store burned down last week:mad: ,he had some of the best LR you could get
She said since it was used she would give me a good price on it. 180 bucks how funny,but then again not,$50. for a MJ1200

Mrspit66
08/11/2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by ReeferKeith
I have been to Corals and Reefs and was not impressed. When I was there it seemed that they had more dead fish in their tanks than live ones.

I am in Corals & Reefs all the time. I VERY rarely see any dead fish in there. I think they have an excellent shop. They have really spruced the place up very recently. Try them again. And I agree about AD - EXPENSIVE!!!

There is also a store in Bixby. Bixby Fishery, the owner is by far the most friendly and knowledgeable person I have dealt with in the area.

His shop didn't burn down; there was a fire in the strip mall he's in. His place was just badly smoke damaged. As far as friendly, I didn't find him to be particularly personable. Maybe he just wasn't feeling good the couple of times I've been in there when he was opened. In fairness, I know he has some real health problems.

Cathy

Ozzy
08/11/2002, 09:18 PM
Ochelata.......????????:p
I am in Corals & Reefs all the time. I VERY rarely see any dead fish in there. I think they have an excellent shop. They have really spruced the place up very recently. Try them again. And I agree about AD - EXPENSIVE!!!
Ya it's a nice clean shop,I'm getting to the point that I stop in more often,it's a new store and I think in time it will be even much better,I wish C & R had more of the product like AD
I'll no longer shop AD ......
His shop didn't burn down; there was a fire in the strip mall he's in. His place was just badly smoke damaged
well thats better I suppose,is he gonna re-open
I didn't find him to be particularly personable. Maybe he just wasn't feeling good the couple of times I've been in there when he was opened no,he is like that all the time ;) ,he doesnt speak a lot but thats OK
Ozzy

reef fanatic
09/28/2002, 09:33 AM
hello Downer.......such a small world, my wife is from Frederick.

Mrspit66
09/28/2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Ozzy
Ochelata.......????????:p [

Yeah, outside of Bartlesville - north of Tulsa. Ever heard of Ramona?? We're about 5 miles north of there. Unfortunately, we may have to move to the Houston area. BIG BUMMER!! Don't flame me, any Houstonians. We've got a great place and I just don't want to leave it.

Cathy

Downer
09/29/2002, 12:08 AM
Hey Reef-Fanatic good to hear from you. Fredrick isnt very far away from here at all. How long ago did she live there?

Ozzy
09/30/2002, 09:36 AM
outside of Bartlesville - north of Tulsa. Ever heard of Ramona?? it rings a bell,I do know Bartlesville....moving to Houston ??
man that will be a change for ya,is it a job transfer ??

Mrspit66
09/30/2002, 07:35 PM
Yeah, hubby works for former Phillips Petroeum, now ConocoPhillips. His job is down there now. BIG BUMMER! We'll survive, tho.

Cathy

Ozzy
09/30/2002, 10:57 PM
well best of luck for ya,I'm sure we'll still see ya at Reef Central ;)