PDA

View Full Version : Which Clownfish pair is best?

Scribb-angelfish
06/22/2002, 07:36 AM
There seems to be some conjecture about which breeding pairs are the easiest to spawn ( I'm talking wild caught here).

By this I mean, is it better to use a pair that have paired up in the wild. OR, get two separate clowns and put them together.

I have heard that the pre-paired clowns will not spawn again. Is there any truth in this?

And on another question:

Is there any organism in a DSB that would be harmful, ie would eat them or attack them, to the spawn or the hatched fry (at any stage of this tricky period).

Thank you, I look forward to your replies:wavehand:

Oze Reefer
06/23/2002, 05:43 AM
not sure if there is any better breeders.....i think that common and falses are easily bred as they are commonly sold as captive bred........jus give them their own tank, good food and let nature take its course

Dman
06/24/2002, 12:01 AM
My Gold striped Maroon clowns spawned again six months after a move, so it's tough to say, although I've heard that Tomatoes spawn the most readily
Dman

Robdean2
06/26/2002, 10:21 AM
Scribb,

(I understand your question.) I sure wish I could answer that one! I've had a pair of Ocellaris together for about 8 months. I bought them individually and I can see that they have developed a relationship, determined sexes, picked a territory, etc. But they haven't spawned.

If I had the money, I would have bought a mated pair (from the wild). Sure, they may cease spawning for a while, but if you make them feel completely comfortable, safe, healthy, etc. I can't see how your chances would be any less than if you'd paired them yourself.

Just make sure you know where they're going to go (and stay). I really can't expect mine to have spawned because I've moved them 3 times in the past 8 months! (Guess I just can't make up my mind.) And they've had different tank-mates each time. Not quite the perfect spawning conditions.

Good luck.

eco-tropic
06/26/2002, 02:08 PM
Try A. melanopus.