PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii or Cosumel?

kanankeban
06/21/2002, 08:18 AM
I spoke yesterday with a friend in Miami...he has dived in Hawaii and in Cosumel...he told me that hawaii is very nice, but cosumel is even better, is this true?

iceman16238
06/21/2002, 06:36 PM
If u are considering Cozumel, why not go to the 2nd Great Barrier Reef in Belize. It is beautiful there. I am going back there in the beginning of September. I have a lot a family there. Do a search on Belize. You will see what i am talking about.

kanankeban
06/21/2002, 07:09 PM
Really not considering right know...but I'm happy because is cheap for me to go to cozumel...The doubt arrised because next month I'm going to hawaii and I wanted to know ehat to espect...
I know Belize is great, some friend have dived there...

glh7767
06/21/2002, 11:58 PM
There is no way to compare hawaii to cozumel. they are two entirely differenct ecosystems, and both worth visiting. cozumel is cheap, party city, closer to home, mainly drift diving, 2nd largest reef in the world (the posting on belize is simply the southern extension of the same reef.
hawaii is the pacific, mecca for divers. nearly 10 times the diversity of life as found in the caribbean. large animals all the way down to nudibranchs. beautiful topside.
you can't go wrong either way, but to say one is better than the other is not doing justice to either.

Roundboy
06/22/2002, 12:23 AM
I just did Cosumel last week, and it was very nice. Definetly worth the trip. I have not been to Hawaii yet so I can't directly compare the two, but I really did love cosumel. It is very cheap while I was there (a day on the island off of a cruise).

On a side note, the cruise ship 'The Voyager of the Seas' is awesome. There is so much to do on that ship, i was on it for a week and barely even scratched the surface. It is definetly a worth while trip. If you do a cruise, then you can swim with the dolphins in Jamaca, and swim with the sting rays (really neat) in Grand Cayman.

kanankeban
06/23/2002, 01:39 PM
but to say one is better than the other is not doing justice to either.

These post arraised form a comment of a friend...I also thought soething similar...

mjh
06/25/2002, 04:58 PM
glh7767 is right, it is hard to choose. Cozumel is great drift diving, great small life and wall diving. More of a party atmosphere topside. Kona is fantasitc for larger animals Manta Rays, Sharks, Turtles. The island is not called the Big Island for nothing. You can spend a couple of days going to beaches, the valcano and eastshore rainforests, it's very laid back and mellow.
Have to admit the wife and I are planning on going back to Cozumel in the fall.

G-money
06/26/2002, 01:45 PM
Been to Coz, never been to Hawaii. From what I have heard, there is much more luxuriant coral growth and diversity in Coz. In fact, I have heard that Hawaii's coral diversity is rather subpar. It may be in the Pacific, but it is so far removed that it is doesn't have near the diversity you'd expect from a "typical" Indo-Pacific system. I agree that Belize would be a killer trip - one that I am tentatively planning for this winter...

Either way, you will see a completely different makeup of organisms between Caribbean and Pacific. Have fun regardless...

iceman16238
06/26/2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Graham
I agree that Belize would be a killer trip - one that I am tentatively planning for this winter...

Either way, you will see a completely different makeup of organisms between Caribbean and Pacific. Have fun regardless...
YAY!!! I can't wait to go to Belize. I love the tropical atmosphere. You can even go into the rainforest which is one of the most fun things u will ever do. Graham, you MUST go to the keys. Where do u plan on going?

G-money
06/27/2002, 11:16 AM
As far as Belize, I have looked at Ambergris Caye the most. Perhaps Pelican Bay resort...I've heard some good things. I really need to research it a bit more - once summer is over!

Coral Master
07/16/2002, 07:57 PM
I was in Hawaii last week, and all I can say is that you won't be dissapointed. I don't even Scuba, just Snorkle. You don't even have to go anywhere special, and you will see so much marine life. The fish diversity I saw was amazing in Hawaii. I stayed at the Waikiki beach, in Honolulu, Oahu.

About 20 minutes from there, is Hanauma Bay. I think it was 8 bucks to get in, but that money goes toward preserving the area.
That place is amazing for snokeling. That's if you plan on going to Honolulu, island of Oahu. Good luck, and have fun.

-Steve

Coral Master
07/16/2002, 07:59 PM
I should also mention, if you go to Hanauma Bay, wake up very early and get there ASAP, I think they open at 7am? Man, one day I went it was 9am, and they closed because it was full! Good luck.

-Steve

kanankeban
08/02/2002, 04:54 PM
Hi guys....
I just got back from 13 days in Hawaii....I got my PADI Open Water certification with www.scubashack.com great guys to dive with....I did molokini crater, and other site. Lot of nice hard corals and sea turtles....after that I went to Big Island to the Kona Side, where i did several dives in 5 or 6 spots....got to say kona is great, great visibility and wonderful creatures....Got to almost play with a white tip shark, and a gigantic manta ray. The only thing I regret is not doing the night manta ray dive, they say is one of the top 10 dives in the world...I was so tired, maybe other time, hopr so returning one day....
Next October I'll be diving in Cozumel, so I'll have chance to compare the places my self, but got to say, I have dived in Cancun, near cosumel and I know that cozumel is better that any site near cancun, so my personal conclusions is that cosumel will be great to...and maybe better than hawaii...one great think I'm sure it will be far away cheaper :)
just my 2 cents...

lightning
08/06/2002, 12:09 PM
mexico hawii and belize are all verry nice. but the thing that hawii dosnt have to offer is shore diving it realy what you preffer. but if you were going to hawii , why not travel a little father and go to the real great barrier reef.

kanankeban
08/06/2002, 12:29 PM
why not travel a little father and go to the real great barrier reef. ......MONEY :D , Hawaii was awesome expensive...I don't want to imagine going farther. Well planning to do the great barrier reef in a couple of years after doing cozumel and belize hundreds of times...that's cheap for me...:D

me
08/30/2002, 09:32 PM
I have not been to Hawaii, but I am under the general impression that with the water being colder (than Cozumel) you get more fish les corals. I hear the fish are wonderful. Cozumel, on the other hand I have been to (twice) and I assure you, if you like corals AND fish this is the place to go. you cannot be disapointed.

kanankeban
08/30/2002, 10:19 PM
me,
Well I´ll tell you what is the main different next october...going a to Cozumel 13-20 october...I can tell you that hawaii was great but there are not soft corals...just hard corals and tons of fish...

Reeffien
08/31/2002, 11:36 PM
I just got back from Kona, Hawaii. I did 6 dives and thought it was great. I've never been to Cozumel, so I can't compare, but Hawaii was great. I dove through Jacks Diving Locker and did the Manta Night Dive. Fabulously awesome dive!!!!!! There were tons of fish , turtles, eels, etc.... However there is not a lot of variety of coral.

Happy traveling where ever you go.

Don

Rick Davis
09/01/2002, 06:27 AM
I lived on Oahu for 10 years and have been diving around Oahu, Maui and Lanai. Hawaiian water is a little on the cool side and is not as coral rich as the south pacific. Also can get a bit rough, which is good if you like to surf too. Best diving is the Big Island, Lanai and Molokini Crater off Maui. Very few good dive spots off Oahu. I read a survey that said 70% of reef fish were tangs - fits with my experience. Lots of butterfly fish and only a few angels like the Potters at depths of around 30 - 80 ft. The Hawaiian flame angel is extremely rare. Good chance of seeing turtles or small sharks at the popular dive sites like Molokini.

Also dove Cozumel - warmer water with drift dives about 60 to 80 feet. Less coral than Hawaii but lots of sea fans and gorgonians. Saw some groupers, lots of queen angels, french angels and rock beauties but not as many butterfly fish and tangs as Hawaii.

Diving is big business in Cozumel and less so in Hawaii. I think you get more dive for your dollar in Cozumel. Also a good idea check out some photos on the diving websites to see what the best sites are.

kanankeban
09/01/2002, 12:12 PM
Reeffien
Tell us more about the Manta Night Dive...I was supposed to do it but that day I was so tired, that rather skipped it...

Reeffien
09/01/2002, 01:22 PM
Manta night dive was awesome. They divided us up into groups and put lights on the ocean floor. The plankton concentrates around the lights and the mantas come in to feed.

We jumped in, and sat on the ocean floor. We held our lights up so that the plankton would concentrate around us. The mantas came in and fed. While they were feeding they would rub over the tops of our heads, along the sides of our faces. It was an undescribeable experience. There was no sense of alarm. It was all rather relaxing and peaceful.

Just for your info. Our guide video taped the dive and edited it (put in music, beginning and ending clips). We purchased it and have since watched it countless times.

Happy diving,

Don

kanankeban
09/01/2002, 02:07 PM
That is awesome...shame of my self not doing it having the chance to do it...well maybe some other time:(

ncscubaguy
09/24/2002, 11:33 PM
Ive been diving for about 4 yrs logged about 200 dives, Hawaii is nice but Cozumel is definately more bang for the buck, the diving in my opinion is much better in Cozumel, because the vis seems to be a little better, but if big animals are your thing, I've heard whales show up from time to time,in Hawaii, although I cant vouch personaly. I can vouch for turtles, sharks, and eagle rays in Cozumel. Hawaii is beautiful, but expensive. Cozumel is not as pretty top side but the diving is awsome. I would choose Cozumel hands down.

Brimarbio
09/25/2002, 11:24 AM
I've got to toss in my 2 cents here. I've got to say that I really don't agree with the whole playing with the dauphins in Jamaica and swimming with Manta's in Hawaii, and worst of all though not mentioned is the shark feeding in the Caymans'... by partaking in these activities you're doing a world of damage! These animals are wild and should be left that way, if you encounter them by chance so be it, but not like this.
That said, and now that everyone on here is thoroughly annoyed with me, I can say that of the two proposed sights I'd go with Coz every time. It's just a better spot all round IMO. However, if we branch it out to the rest of the Caribbean, as we have with Belize, I'd say there are two top spots running neck and neck. Belize is on and the other would be the Turks and Caicos Islands. Belize is defiantly the one to go with if you don't want to spend much cash but bear in mind that you'll be getting what you pay for, to a certain degree. The Turks, on the other hand, are much more up scale (we're talking about accommodations here) but it will cost you a bit more. Both places I've found to be relatively quiet vs. the drones of people that the Caymans and Coz get which is quite pleasant. One other place to look into would be Honduras... Much the same as Belize (they are neighbors) but they were hit hard by hurricanes a short while back and so their tourist places are trying to drum up business again by giving away some really great deals...
Brian

wizardgus®
09/29/2002, 11:08 AM
I go to Hawaii every fall and if you like to dive/snorkel you really should try Molokini Crater. It is unbelievable! The number and diversity of marine life there is stunning and water clarity typically runs to about 35 feet. JMO but I doubt you would find a better dive anywhere else in the islands...I haven't.

kanankeban
10/02/2002, 07:27 PM
I did Molokini....nice...very nice...but liked more some spots on Kona...What I didn´t like from Kona was the price of the Hotel!!!!!!!!!! :D

kanankeban
10/23/2002, 07:10 PM
I got to say..dam...I´m into this other hobby for ever...:D I thought that reef keeping was expensive...well!!! I´ll have to work double...to pay for my diving...and my new dive computer!
Finally I can compare with my own eyes hawaii vs. cozumel...did 10 dives one week ago...my conslusions is one!
both places are awesome!:p
Hawaii with its hard corals...cozumel with its drifts dives. Hawaii lots of big fat colorfull fishes...cozumel the same but less fish...lots of soft corals. To be onest the big difference is the price...cozumel is cheap...hawaii not! but both places are awesome!!! This two places are beatifull in its own way...not way to compare them...knowing both I can chosse between one or another...in simple words: you have to live both. The sites visited in Cozumel where:
1. Palancar...impresive wall
2. Yucap...you fly through the reef...a Awesome drift dive
3. Punta Negra in Cancun...Wonderfull night dive...
4. C.59... a wreck in la Riviera Maya...just nice
5. El puente (Riviera Maya, in front of Puerto Morelos) great for observing in macro mode!
6. A little reef in Puerto Morelos...very nice for taking macro pictures...you can stay for minutes in the same place without any current moving you.
So...this is just my 2 cents...
Regards...
Hector

India
02/08/2003, 01:52 AM
Would you folks be good enough to let us know places to stay in Cozumel and Hawaii?

Thank you,
India

kanankeban
02/08/2003, 03:32 PM
Would you be most of the time diving or you want to shedule some dives between your stay...that wau I can tell you in more detail which will be a better chioice for you...
Regards..
Hector

India
02/08/2003, 04:08 PM
Well, I want to go with my sister and 4 kids - we want to do plenty of snorkeling, but other adventures too...and maybe stay on the beach in a small place...
Thank you!!!
India

kanankeban
02/08/2003, 04:33 PM
Hawaii....well has several islands....going to hawaii somethimes means visiting some different islands: Maui, Big Island (Kona & Hilo), Ohahu (has the famous waikiki beac). So what are the islands you want to go...?
Kona...is the most expensive as my experience...

While Cozumel is a small island...If you want to go in a travel with a variety of experiences...I rathe choose Cancun, you can book several 1 day trips, to dive over cozumel also in cancun, cave diving, snorkeling, you named! :D

So whats your idea?

Regards...
Hector

India
02/08/2003, 05:32 PM
A beachfront thatched hut where I can snorkle from shore, and a couple of day excursions for adventure - parasailing, jungle treking/boating...you know, the usual...
:D

kanankeban
02/08/2003, 08:29 PM
There's a cheap hotel (La Ceiba)...in Cozumel...that has free beach dives, all the tanks you can consume:D . Some friends have gone there, and they say is not the best hotel around...but is cheap! and free tanks...you can snorkle to.
For the trips you can book some going to Shel-Ha is a fun park, where you can snorkle...to get there you have to take the ferri (30min to puerto morelos) and maybe other 30 to get there...also you can go to tulum (piramides). Remember Cosumel is an Island so the only way to get out of there is by ferri, so plan with advance....

About Hawaii....jejeje there not a beach...jejeje...well almost all the hotels don´t have beachfront...only in Maui and Oahu...in Big Island(KONA) forget it...the good spots are out there....by boat either way diving or snorkeling.

wakesetter
02/08/2003, 08:55 PM
I have done both and I would take Cozumel in a heartbeat if I had to decide which one to go back to. I thought the diversity was far superior there. The corals were so much better and the fish were better too

Glenntessmer
02/08/2003, 09:50 PM
Belize no question.
English speaking. 1/4 the price of Mexico.

joeychitwood
02/24/2003, 10:21 AM
I've dove all over the world, and Cozumel is my favorite spot. The drift diving is fantastic. You can glide along 2-3 miles of reef on some dives. The water clarity 2 weeks ago was 150 feet.

I always stay at the Scuba Club Cozumel, an all-inclusive resort. It is consistently rated by Rodales as one of the top 5 resorts in the world. The cost is reasonable, the food is great, and the dive operation is superb. I took this picture on my last trip. Here it is:

http://www.mdlindquist.com/cropsccfront.jpg