PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here

wawruck
10/08/2006, 11:42 AM
Hi, we are stationed here at Fort Campbell and live on post. We could use some others around here that could help with info. and advise. We just started our first SW tank, and my 7 year old has a tropical FW. Is Pet Palace the only SW place around here? That is were we have gone so far, and no problems just wondering if they are it. I have been told on other on-line forums that I have not been getting good advise for my tank. Here is what has happened. We bought a 24 gal. aquapod, the live sand, 10# live rock and red sea water to start with. We have a crab that is alrady living in the tank, he was a hitchhiker on the rocks. We have added 2 damsels, along with a thing of bio-spirta (sp?) and also have started using kent marine 2 part nano reef.

SO here is my big question, I have read that it isn't a good idea getting damsels to start with. We were looking at getting an anemone and a clownfish next. Are we going to regret getting the damsels? We already have an aggressive tropical tank and didn't want our SW aggressive.

Also we are going to be moving in approx. 2 months, not far, only about 2-3 minutes away (still on post). I know that even that far can get stressful on the tank, what is the best way to move it?

thanks all that have read this far :)

Liz

Texa$
10/08/2006, 06:58 PM
I don't know about the three stripe damsel, but my 4 stripe is as angry as they get. I just can't fish him out of my tank. (I bought the tank with pre-set fish... long story). My clarki and blue fiji devil get along, but not with my tomato clown. They may get a little testy together in a 24.

Jesika_rose
10/08/2006, 09:04 PM
Just wanted to say hi!
Hi
Fellow newbi

wawruck
10/08/2006, 10:36 PM
well we got back from the store tonight to find the domino damsel dead. Not sure why, he was alive before we left, and were only gone 1 1/2 hours. The temp. was a bit high in the tank, and we are starting to think we may need something fto cool it down. Also on the three stripe damsel, the white just isn't as bright as it was earlier. Any help on what might of caused his dead would be appreciated.

ol'salty
10/09/2006, 08:08 AM
Welcome to the forum, and the North Tennessee Reef Club page. I, like most folks started with damsels years ago to cycle my tanks. I still love damsels and still keep them. I have a tank with a very large anemone in it with two clownfish and damsels. Everyone seems to get along just fine. However, some damsels can be evil! If your tank is fairly new, the deaths may be contributed to your biological cycle. Just keep the current one in there and let him/her do the work. A partial water change may help out. I wouldn't consider getting an anemone for quite some time. You must have a mature and stable tank to support an anemone. Depending on which anemone you get, a 24 gallon tank is certainly not big enough. My anemone has grown and takes up 1/3rd of his 75 gallon tank. As soon as you tank cycles, you can go ahead and add a clownfish. Get a clownfish that will be compatable with the type of anemone you plan on keeping.
Hope this helps you.

Dave

wawruck
10/09/2006, 09:32 AM
We are looking at getting a 50 to 75 gal. tank in the next year or so, so we figured we'd be good getting one small now. The LFS told us we'd be good to go getting the fish because we used live sand and rock and bought red sea water from them, so we were told the tank wouldn't have to cycle. The temp. is getting to hot in there though, and I am trying to figure out what I need to get. This is our first SW tank, I have always had FW tropical so I am used to heating the water not cooling it.

space
10/09/2006, 10:40 AM
What is the temp of your house during the day and night? Do you have any pics of your tank?

Your tank will do a small cycle but the damsel should have been ok. What are the parameters of your water?

I've got family stationed at Ft. Campbell. Let me know and if I can send anything your way they are driving back there next week.

ol'salty
10/09/2006, 10:44 AM
Live sand and rock will certainly help your tank cycle. It is by no means a cure. Are you reffering to "Red Sea salt"? Or water they made up? Save yourself some money, buy a good salt mix and make you own sea water. Live sand and live rock does not mature a tank to support coral and an anemone. It's the life in the tank that will grow and develop on it's own that will support life. As far as temperature goes, shut down the heater if you have one, and shorten you light cycle if need be. I can't imagine lights being the problem though.

Dave

tang fever
10/11/2006, 10:50 PM
I agree on the anemone. Might want to wait a little bit.

As far as the clown...every clown I've ever had could have survived in my swiming pool. Clowns are pretty hearty.

In a 24 you can get an unwanted fish out fairly easy. Don't expect all your money back, but take it back for some credit towards another fish.

Small tank: less, peaceful fish.......large tank: more, agressive fish

Don't worry about a few bad selections for now. It's only money!