PDA

View Full Version : Canister Filter Media/Set-up

Vitaly
10/08/2006, 08:25 AM
Greetings everyone,

I am going to be adding a Fluval 303 canister filter to a 55 gallon tank (currently have a hang-on biowheel). This Fluval was used by me several years ago for a freshwater tank and at that time I had the typical configuration (sponge, bioballs, carbon). I am eliminating the bioballs because I have learned that you are problematic in the long run, but I was wondering how to best set everything up.

It has been suggested that I:

1) use the hang-on as a chemical filtration platform by just filling it
with activated carbon.

2) use the canister as mechanical filtration and biological filtration
by placing sponges in the first stage and filling the second and
third stages with gravel, which would serve as a growth surface
for beneficial bugs.

Would this be a good way to proceed?

Is there a more optimal/functional configuration?

Thanks in advance for your input...

GreenBay1
10/08/2006, 12:21 PM
Leave the sponges out. You could use live rock rubble in it to give biological filtering, the LR doesn't need light to stay alive. You could also use the filter for carbon and phosban items, if you like.
I have read that sponges in filters lead to all kinds of bad situations (in saltwater anyway). I am by far NO expert on this, but I hope this helps.

cioutlaw
10/08/2006, 01:36 PM
I use a cannister with sponge filters during water changes just to catch the debris while its stirred up. I take it off the next day & clean it for next time. The sponges are supposed to cause nitrite levels to rise in a reef aquarium.

GreenBay1
10/08/2006, 01:56 PM
Yeah it is ok to use then in that manner. I just wouldn't leave them in, if you do it could cause you more trouble than you really want.

medic29
10/08/2006, 02:18 PM
Huh....what??? I am wondering if I am doing something wrong with my setup. I have an Eheim Pro II canister filter connected to my reef tank. I it is a 30gal tank with around 30# of LR; I also have a Whisper 30 Power filter running in which I have reef carbon in it. But, back to the canister filter; I have the blue and white sponge filters in place between the ceramic mechanical filter media and after the Eheim biological media; should I not have these sponge filters in place. I had been getting advice from Sailfin and they know what I am running and have never said anything about these sponges....or are you all talking about something else. I have not had any problems with my water quality; my nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia have always been at 0; rarely have I had only trace amounts of Phos. Just curious

GreenBay1
10/08/2006, 02:44 PM
If you keep the sponges clean, then you really shouldn't have any trouble with them. The problem is when you let them go too long with out cleaning or changing. If you do that then they become a nitrite farm and your tank can suffer.

medic29
10/08/2006, 03:35 PM
How often do you need to clean them? I was told I didn't need to worry about this pump for around 9-12 months,k is this not correct?

GreenBay1
10/08/2006, 08:18 PM
Yeah you will want to clean them once ever other week. 9-12 months and you will have a nitrite kingdom.

medic29
10/08/2006, 08:57 PM
ah oh.....guess I need to do it now then; it has been up and running since the middle of April and has not been taken apart once. I guess I'm lucky there has not been any problems with my water quality.

Vitaly
10/08/2006, 09:31 PM
Okay so I am going to place carbon into the hang-on filter and for the canister have a stage of rubble or crushed coral to complement the live rock (ie. increase surface for bugs). <B>Will using crushed coral also help keep calcium levels up...or would it be too little to mater?</B>

Regarding the sponges, I have read a lot of mixed things. The concensus seems to be that if you are not overfeeding and getting a lot of particulate matter/waste trapped on the sponges they should not be too problematic; assuming that you clean/rinse them and replace them when they start looking congested. However, maybe it is better to simly leave them out. Anyone else have experience adding and removing sponges from their systems?

GreenBay1
10/08/2006, 09:36 PM
That amount of crushed coral will not do anything for your system.

LegoZ81
10/09/2006, 11:23 AM
Vitaly AT BEST it would help to buffer the system and support alk BUT it has been pretty much agreed on that substrate does not help buffer the tank.
Also Sponges etc become nitrAte factories not nitrIte.

GreenBay1
10/09/2006, 12:31 PM
Was I saying Nitrite? I am sorry, I meant Nitrate. I hope I didn't mess you up?

Horace
10/09/2006, 04:19 PM
IMO, the only mechanical filtration on a saltwater tank should be a filtersock that is changed out/cleaned weekly. I have 5 filter socks that I rotate. When I have 4 dirty, I wash them in time for the 5th to be replaced. They will let you know when they are dirty because they will start overflowing out the top of the sock....

brad23
10/09/2006, 04:30 PM
Yeah...... uh my last filter sock was left in for 4 weeks.

Horace
10/09/2006, 04:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8307180#post8307180 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brad23

lol, the water had to be overflowing for those past 2-3 weeks!

cioutlaw
10/09/2006, 04:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8305046#post8305046 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LegoZ81
Vitaly AT BEST it would help to buffer the system and support alk BUT it has been pretty much agreed on that substrate does not help buffer the tank.
Also Sponges etc become nitrAte factories not nitrIte.

Your right, I said nitrite but it is Nitrate

Vitaly
10/09/2006, 05:02 PM
So another question...when you say "filtersock" what exactly are you describing?

Are using a mesh fliter bag (I was gonna use my girlfriends panty hose) filled with some sort of media? As I stated before, I was going to have:

* the live rock to continue serving as a biological filtration platform

* the hangon filter as a chemical filtration platform (eg. reef carbon)

* the canister filter as a mechanical filtration platform. However, insofar as what to put in the canister, I am still uncertain (sponges, crushed coral, gravel).

Thanks again to you all for the thoughts...

hounddog01
10/09/2006, 05:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8307180#post8307180 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brad23

That's kinda nasty not changing your socks for 4 weeks. Bet that smelled! LOL

hounddog01
10/09/2006, 05:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8307406#post8307406 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Vitaly
So another question...when you say "filtersock" what exactly are you describing?

Are using a mesh fliter bag (I was gonna use my girlfriends panty hose) filled with some sort of media? As I stated before, I was going to have:

* the live rock to continue serving as a biological filtration platform

* the hangon filter as a chemical filtration platform (eg. reef carbon)

* the canister filter as a mechanical filtration platform. However, insofar as what to put in the canister, I am still uncertain (sponges, crushed coral, gravel).

Thanks again to you all for the thoughts...

I guess if your set on using the canister filter then fill it with live rock rubble and on top of that where the water comes in use some type of filter media to keep the nasty stuff from poluting your live rock. You will need to change the filter media weekly which can be a pain with a canister filter unless you have valves to turn the tank hoses off.

bower23
10/09/2006, 05:54 PM
Too bad they don't make a canister filter just for small Saltwater tanks. Like.. a place to put rubble rock and a basket for cheato with a LED light for growth. Do I smell a DIY project? I would worry about your crushed coral or gravel getting into the pump. I would stick with rubble and carbon. Get rid of the HOB and get a hang on skimmer. You can get them cheap on ebay these days. Doesn't have to be perfect until your bio load increases.

medic29
10/09/2006, 07:11 PM
Someone explain the "filter sock"....what is this. I'm kind of in the same boat. I currently run a canister filter on my reef tank but.....I am upgrading soon and thinking about adding, actually, not thinking anymore....I'm going to add a sump. With all of this talk it sounds like I can take the canister filter out of the system. It hasn't caused any problems yet, but sounds like it may only be a matter of time since I haven't done anything with the sponges as of yet.

I was wondering what to do for a mechanical filter. I had thought about adding some filter mesh in the return side of my sump that the water will have to go through to get to the skimmer part, but, this "filter sock" sounds like it might be the answer I am looking for.

So, if someone could explain the "filter sock" and where they can be found.

thanks

Michelle L
10/09/2006, 08:05 PM
A filter sock is a white floss-looking bag made from felt, very sturdy, that comes in different micron sizes (basically all that is is how tightly knit the fabric is..the tighter the knit the smaller the particle sizes it will remove). They have drawstring ties at the top so that you can slip them over your PVC pipes coming from the tank down into the sump and tie them on. As the water flows through it, it will trap all of the nasties coming from the tank. They do a great job.

I ordered mine from my local LFS, so maybe someone else can chip in with a good online resource. I need to get more too.

medic29
10/09/2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks!!!

hounddog01
10/09/2006, 09:47 PM
Premium Aquatics is where I got mine. I believe they are $10.00. I hope this is ok saying this. I believe Premium is a sponser of Reef Central

medic29
10/09/2006, 09:52 PM
Is it called a "Filter sock"?

MattAranda
10/10/2006, 12:56 AM
They support the web site to the fullest, I wouldnt have known about this site without going into their store.

Horace
10/10/2006, 07:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8309386#post8309386 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hounddog01
Premium Aquatics is where I got mine. I believe they are $10.00. I hope this is ok saying this. I believe Premium is a sponser of Reef Central

Yeah we are free to talk about businesses now so long as we dont benefit monitarily. The rules that we are used to adhering to regarding "Shilling" were over the top strict and were not in the true spirit of the RC rules....

As for a filter sock...yes, get them at www.premiumaquatics.com or www.marinedepot.com. You would put this "sock" around the drain of your overflow or the outlet of your skimmer, or both if possible. They are easily removed for cleaning and do a GREAT job at removing particles from the water. The skimmer for the most part will only remove dissolved organics, leaving behind the large undissolved organics. I once tried to go w/out running them because I was tired of cleaning/changing them and my water quality was VISIBLY much dirtier. IMO they are an absolute requirement for clear quality water.....

Michelle L
10/10/2006, 07:38 AM
I want to show mine to you guys at the meeting...they don't quite look like the ones on the Premium Aquatics website. They're huge, too.

Whatever it is that I have, they do a great job.

GreenBay1
10/10/2006, 11:23 AM
You don't have filter socks Michelle, you have filter boots ;)