PDA

View Full Version : What would YOU add to a 10g softy tank (fish)...

Newreeflady
06/20/2002, 08:39 PM
I just got a new home for the fuzzy lion I was temporarily holding in my 10g. Now all I have is 1 green chromis (who might I add has had a COMPLETE change in personality, guess he's not scared of being eaten anymore)

I just added a fire shimp today, he's so cute! Also, was thinking of adding some playmates for the chromis, should I add another green chromis or two, or what else would you add? If this were your tank, what would you add?

If this were your tank, what would you do? Filtration/circulation is a penguin 125, no skimmer, weekly gallon water changes, assorted soft corals and a couple lps, light by 36w 50/50 pc.

angela.

PrEmNaS BiAcUlEaTuS
06/20/2002, 08:43 PM
THere could be some agression issues with more green chromis because he's by himself and thinks it's his territory now. You should add them at the same time. Most dont think chromis are agressive but against their own kind they sometimes can be.:bum:

chess_wizard
06/20/2002, 10:59 PM
1 is fine, there agressive, if you add 2 or more to reduce agression, your bioload will be too much.

Ewan
06/21/2002, 01:01 AM
I'm very fond of bicolor blennies. They're very personable, and once they establish a few hang-outs around the tank, they are a perfect addition. I've got one in a 20gal.

Don't let the folks on the main board get to you. Everyone is looking out for everyone else's best interests. As a fellow nano-reefer, I know where you're coming from.

I had a 10gal with a pair of percs. They were perfect for the tank. I also keep a small shrimp. I've had a fire shrimp, peppermint shrimp, cleaner shrimp, and I now have a coral-banded shrimp. (this is over the last 10 years) Shrimp are always good for small tanks. You're also given a better opportunity to feed them from your hands when there's less fish poking around.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

E.

Newreeflady
06/24/2002, 05:41 PM
THanks! How about a fairy basslet? I like blennies, but fear that you won't see them often. I want something that will be out ALL the time since I don't enter the room but in spurts, wanna make sure I see the fishies;) The fire shrimp is cool. The green chromis seems to be okay alone, and i'd hate to cause trouble, so i'll not add any more chromis in with him. Wish I could have something yellow; so what'dya think of the fairy basslet? Demeanor? Hardiness? Compatibility?

thx,
Angela.

Newreeflady
06/24/2002, 11:12 PM
Do you guys honestly feel that I won't be able to keep stable parms with two fish, the green chromis fish (1) that I already have (sm) and a fairy basslet that i'd like to add? I'd also love to add one of those hawaiian feather dusters, anyone know what they're called again, coco, or koko, or something? Would one survive in this tank? It's skimmerless.

Pls give honest opinions now. I figured that one more fish wouldn't hurt, but if you all are speaking from experience where you really can't keep a 10g reef with two small fish, I want to know!

thx,
Angela.

RyanN
06/25/2002, 02:10 AM
Bicolor blennies are quite active once they get used to their surroundings. Unfortunately they can develop a taste for certain corals in your tank. I'm trying to catch the bicolor in my 55 as I type...he's been nipping at my montipora for several weeks now and just today I caught him nipping my frogspawn.

If you want something with yellow how about a royal gramma? They have beautiful colors and make a great addition to a nano.

If you keep up on frequent water changes and limit your bioload to two fish and your current invertebrates you should be fine. My wife and I have kept a gold stripe maroon with it's anemone, a bicolor blenny, a coral banded, two hermits, and a turbo in my wife's 12 gal eclipse in her classroom for almost a year now...no problems whatsoever.

HTH

Ryan

scd
06/25/2002, 09:19 AM
I would do more than a 10% water change at a time. Maybe bump that up to 20%, particularily if you add a second fish.

If I didn't already have 2 fish in my 15g (oselaris clown, cherub angel), I would like to add a citron clown goby or yellow clown goby. Both are yellow, so they are the right color for you. I never owned one so I don't know there activity level first hand.

Newreeflady
06/25/2002, 08:58 PM
Thanks guys, i'm adding one in:D

Angela.