PDA

View Full Version : Dues or No Dues?? Please Vote, MEMERS ONLY

Horace
10/05/2006, 03:01 PM
OK guys, one topic for discussion at the meeting will be if we are going to have dues or not. I want your opinions on weather we should charge dues. Please tell us what you think...

Michelle L
10/05/2006, 03:12 PM
I voted no dues, but only because I feel that we should collect money for each activity/outing from members as it is arranged.

If that isn't the way we want to do it, then I think our dues should be $20+ per year...I want our club to do some fun stuff, and as we all know, it takes $$ to do that.

Horace
10/05/2006, 03:30 PM
The only problem I have with collecting at the time of the activity, is that I think some people will put in more and some less and many none at all. Asking for donations often doesnt work as well for the same reason, and often when people donate, they dont donate again because they are waiting for those who are never going to donate to put in thier share. I just think if we have a small nominal fee that will allow us to do some nice things, and perhaps purchase some cool club items (eg Club PAR meter etc). If everyone doesnt put money towards things like that, I dont think those who dont put money in should benefit. The last thing I want is to exclude people, but seriously the $10 - $20 is not alot of money. Plus if we are doing a big trip or something, obviously $20 isnt going to cover that. Money will have to be collected regardless.

Michelle L
10/05/2006, 04:12 PM
Right, that was my only concern....that the regular dues wouldn't be enough to cover the costs of activities completely.

trendle
10/05/2006, 04:29 PM
I voted no dues so people would not be excluded for monetary reasons. I would be in favor of donations at events.

GreenBay1
10/05/2006, 04:32 PM
The problem with buying "club" items is there will always be someone that gets a little jealous of who gets to keep it. There is always someone that will say that it is not fair that so and so gets to keep the items or that so and so can use it whenever but we have to ask. I have seen situations like that turn sour real fast, and put friends against each other. As far as dues go, I am not sure. It could be a good thing and it could be a bad thing. You collect dues and people will think that something should happen all the time, not just once in a while. When you pay dues people tend to think that they deserve stuff all the time or need special treatment because they pay dues. I am not saying that would be the case, but I have seen situations where it is (pretty much any union). Starting out I think the donation thing might be a good path, however dues would make sure we have a stepping stone for future events. But then again we will get people that pay dues and cannot make it to events, those people will start to feel like they are getting shafted. Just my thoughts, I am not shooting anything down, just getting them out there.

Horace
10/05/2006, 04:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8283632#post8283632 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by trendle
I voted no dues so people would not be excluded for monetary reasons. I would be in favor of donations at events.

First let me say this...ANYONE should be welcome to come to meetings etc. However, when it comes to things that cost money that is a different story.

Also, if there is somone in this hobby who cant afford $20 a year, they are in the wrong hobby lol. I seriously dont think that small amount of money is a big deal at all.

philagothos
10/05/2006, 05:06 PM
One nice thing about dues, they can help determine who really wants to be in an active club and who just wants to hang out. There's nothing wrong with people that just want to hang out. However, it would stink to have to hold up something like elections, or anything else that requires a majority vote of club members, because you are waiting on 10 people who are considered members but are not very active or commited to the club.

If dues are not a part of membership, then something like an annual commitment/recommitment should be required to keep the roster current.

Just my thoughts,
-Kevin

PS: I didn't vote because I'm not sure whether I will be an active part of a club based so far away. I've been thinking of seeing if some of the more local reefers might be interested in CARS (Champaign Area Reef Society). If I can't drum up some interest then I will be happy to be part of BNARC and I would vote for dues of $20+ ($2/month is pretty manageable).

cioutlaw
10/05/2006, 05:07 PM
Could someone explain what the dues will be spent on & who decides when & what to spend the $ on. I have no problem coming up with $20 per year but if its going to be spent on something I wouldnt take advantage of then it doesnt make any sense. If its to cover website expense & operating cost ect. then I have no problem contributing. If its to fund an event or trip then the people that attend the event should cover the expence.

FloatingFish
10/05/2006, 05:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8283875#post8283875 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cioutlaw
Could someone explain what the dues will be spent on & who decides when & what to spend the $ on. I have no problem coming up with $20 per year but if its going to be spent on something I wouldnt take advantage of then it doesnt make any sense. If its to cover website expense & operating cost ect. then I have no problem contributing. If its to fund an event or trip then the people that attend the event should cover the expence.

Ditto

Horace
10/05/2006, 06:04 PM
Here is the thing guys, anything that costs the club money to do will be hard to pull off if we first must find out who is going to be involved, then ask those members to split the cost exactly for each and every item. If we want to put on a frag swap for example and there are expenses involved, its going to be pretty hard to nail down an exact amount and then collect an equal portion of money from the people who will attend. It would be a heck of a lot easier if EVERYONE just put in a yearly small donation and the club would just draw from that money. If you dont attend then your missing out on an opportunity to take advantage of the event.

Horace
10/05/2006, 06:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8283875#post8283875 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cioutlaw

The people elected into the positions mentioned before would decide where and when. Thats why we are asking for people to "run for office".

Just keep in mind one thing...its not like this money will be used for a few people...it would be used for the entire club and everyone would be a benefactor...otherwise the BNARC funds wouldnt be used.

brad23
10/05/2006, 07:46 PM
Just to let everyone know that the majority here will have the final say this club will not be run with iron fist and was created for that reason.

This thread was started for the members input and that is what we will go off.

gsvettec4
10/05/2006, 08:10 PM
Being on Active Duty, I am on a fixed income. So, I vote no dues. If I can afford to do an activity then I will do it.

Benny Z
10/05/2006, 08:36 PM
the first board of directors should discuss this and make the vote. this is the reason we elect an executive board...to lead the club. if there is a tie, then the 5th vote comes from the general membership.

Benny Z
10/05/2006, 08:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8285248#post8285248 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Benny Z
the first board of directors should discuss this and make the vote. this is the reason we elect an executive board...to lead the club. if there is a tie, then the 5th vote comes from the general membership.

thinking about this some more, just some thoughts.

every organization has operating costs. monthly website hosting fees, url registration, nametags for meets...the list could go on for a long time. i don't believe annual dues is too much to ask...

i also don't believe people getting mad over whose house the club's property resides in will be an issue.

that being said...

in order to gain membership, the executive board is going to have to set forth what exactly a paid membership entitles individuals to. people are going to have to understand where their money is going. with this being a new club, everyone posting here has a chance to be heard, and eveyone has a chance to provide input into what they'd like to see out of the club.

i think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves with some of this stuff. it's really cool that things are moving along so quickly, but at the same time we have yet to hold our first election.

ps - kurt, what exactly is a MEMER? :D

fkdenton
10/05/2006, 09:13 PM
I dont have a problem with dues but I have seen alot of gripping from members of other clubs about what the dues go for. I like the donation method but once again it has its drawbacks.

brad23
10/05/2006, 09:22 PM
I'm still unsure on where to go with this, I don't want to jump to far ahead before we get things going.

pyro2k
10/05/2006, 10:36 PM
What is this membership fee getting me? Is this just paying for the overhead of hosting a website?

GreenBay1
10/05/2006, 10:40 PM
And so it begins. The road will be bumpy for us all to start out however, by electing a governing body we will try and keep every member completely informed of everything going on.

AslanTheKing
10/05/2006, 10:42 PM
I voted no dues. I simply haven't got the extra cash to go for some yet to be seen cost. Will I financially support the events of the club? Yes. I might even support events I cannot attend for the good of the club. As it stands right now, we have no costs, no goals, no ideas about how any monies raised would be spent. That's not the right way to begin. If after the board is elected and does some planning, they bring back a vision and an agenda that requires dues level cash, then I'll happily reconsider my vote.

No plans, no expenses, nothing for me to see or wrap my mind around= no dues.

Peace

Kevin

RobynT
10/06/2006, 12:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8285411#post8285411 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Benny Z
thinking about this some more, just some thoughts.

every organization has operating costs. monthly website hosting fees, url registration, nametags for meets...the list could go on for a long time. i don't believe annual dues is too much to ask...

i also don't believe people getting mad over whose house the club's property resides in will be an issue.

that being said...

in order to gain membership, the executive board is going to have to set forth what exactly a paid membership entitles individuals to. people are going to have to understand where their money is going. with this being a new club, everyone posting here has a chance to be heard, and eveyone has a chance to provide input into what they'd like to see out of the club.

:D
I know that it will take time to decide where the club is going and what operating costs might be. Operating costs and special activities and events really are separate issues. I would not like to see anyone excluded for lack of funds for dues, however I do think it fair that club members should share whatever operating costs will eventually exist. As it has been said before, if a person cannot afford 10 or 20 dollars a year, they are in the wrong hobby. I really don't think that is unreasonable for any of us. Just my 2 cents!

pleaselaunchme
10/06/2006, 12:52 AM
Personally, I voted no as I am a student and at times an extra $20 can be hard to find. I personally don't have a problem with dues to cover expenses like frag swaps and domain hosting, etc., I am just not always sure at this point that I'll have that to spend.

And before I hear about this, I have tank money set aside, and that is all budgeted.

Ben

Michelle L
10/06/2006, 05:04 AM
I want to remind everyone that this will be discussed in depth tomorrow at the meeting at Fiesta Ranchera at 3:00 PM.

I would encourage everyone to attend if possible, and discuss ideas regarding this issue, as well as others.

medic29
10/06/2006, 07:56 AM
I'm not sure why I am hearing so many people talk about not having the extra money for "dues". If I understand it correctly, it has been suggested $10-20/year. If this is correct, that really is not that much. I mean look at it in reality, $10/year is less than $1 per month....that's a pop. Most spend almost that much getting lunch somewhere. Even the $20/year is less than $2/month. How many people buy more than a couple of sodas during a month that they could possibly give up? I would understand this concern more if it were that much per month, but if I'm correct, it is not.

Now, on another note, I agree with the thought that we should have an idea of where the money would be going; have some idea of what we would be doing with those funds. But, I do have faith in the executive board that would be voted in to make good decisions that would benefit the club. If one person was to be making that decision I may not feel the same way, but with a board of individuals that have to come to a group concensus, I feel better about it.

Again, just my 2 cents.

LegoZ81
10/06/2006, 09:34 AM
Run it like Autocross (Ben if you could elaborate?)
Membership dues catch you a break on events, trips, etc.

For trips including ticket purchases the cost of the of the ticket and a percentage of the fuel costs would be charged. BNARC should have a planning commity that purchases the tickets and distributes them to the members. I really with that I could be at that meeting tommorow :(

hounddog01
10/06/2006, 09:53 AM
I agree with RobinT. The dues should be seperate from any outings. I think a nominal $10.00 to get the club off the ground. What would the money be spent for who knows at this point. If I had an estra $300.00 laying arround I would donate it and cover everyones dues. I also think this should be a one time donation not a yearly requirement. We are starting a new club and this would be to GET IT OFF THE GROUND and nothing more. The money would be spent in the best interest of the club to keep it going. It could be decided later in the year if there would be a yearly dues or just another one time. I also do not believe that anyone should be excluded because they can not afford $10.00. I am sorry that I will not be able to attend the meeting tomorrow. I am going to the airport to catch my plane. I will check back later.

cioutlaw
10/06/2006, 05:21 PM
How many members are estimated? 20-30? It will cost around $100 per year to keep a website not including the web design ect. plus other expenses. So I think $8-$10 per member per year would be needed. Membership should include an news letter & maybe discounts at different places if that could be arranged. Anyone should be welcome to the website & participate in the messageboard as well as meetings. My opinion is if there is a trip arranged then the people on the trip should pay their own way.

If you need someone to design & update the website I would donate my time. Ive done 10-12 sites & have also done my own www.hartdragracing.com

GreenBay1
10/06/2006, 07:55 PM
I had a plan of doing a monthly newsletter for the club.

Benny Z
10/06/2006, 10:51 PM
cioutlaw, i bought the bnarc.com domain name...just haven't had time to put up a general splash page and link to this forum yet. if you have time, please feel free! i've been working two jobs lately and my spare time is very limited.