PDA

View Full Version : Tanks with built in filtration.

a novice
06/19/2002, 12:10 PM
Hello everyone. I was wondering how everyone feels about the tanks on the market which have built in filtration. Some models by Sea Clear, Tenecor, etc. have a section in the back of the tank with space for bio balls, heater, skimmer, and some have lighting also. For a self contained nano these seem like a great option. Anyone use them? Thoughts? They seem like they are over priced but I like how they are compact and complete looking. FFE has a 12 gallon one for almost $400 which I am semi-interested in. Thanks everyone.

cj7jeep81
06/19/2002, 03:17 PM
I just got the 8 gallon from Tenecor and am in the process of setting it up. I really like the design of the "sump" in the back. I took the bio media out and am going to put in some macro algea instead. The only thing i don't like is it takes quite a bit of space away from the main tank. It is an 8 gallon, but the main tank only holds about 5, and will make it kind of tricky for me to aquascape.

Physh1
06/19/2002, 04:00 PM
Personally I don't care for them because Nano's are small enough and built in filters eat up space and are harder to maintain in tanks like that. I have always used hang on filters for Nano's with surface skimmers and that has worked great for me. I have pictures on my web page in my signature so you could check those out if you want.

Many people do it and it's a personal thing. $400 seems like a lot. I did my 7 nano for around $200 and that is with a pc light, heater, HO filter, surface skimmer, evaporation make-up system, rock and sand. I think you could peice together a better system for less....

my .02 worth

Cameron

a novice
06/19/2002, 04:23 PM
The one major thing that I like about the tanks with intergral filtration is that they look clean. You don't see any wires, tubes, heaters, skimmers, etc. When you don't have the space or resources for a sump I think that a built in sump(which is basically what the intergral filtration compartment would be used for) is a great idea.

One idea that I am toying with is making my own. I've done quite a few projects dealing with acrylic which include cutting and welding. I know that I can get opaque acrylic from a local supplier because I used some for a parrot playpen that I recently made.

All I would need is a basic acrylic tank, some scrap sheet acrylic, and then the pumps, powerheads, etc. I think that I'm going to price out that option tonight and see how it compares.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

erik1202
06/19/2002, 05:22 PM
Novice, I just set up the 12 Gal. from FFE this week on my desk at work. Space is limited so I liked the all in one option. The only thing I changed was to use a 2 X 32W PC retro instead of the lighting that came with it. I love the way it looks. Like you said, there are no wires, pumps, etc anywhere in the tank and it really looks nice. The heater, ground probe, thermometer, all fit in the sump which is really nice. I already have had at least 5 people ask about where they can buy "that exact tank". You could definitely do a setup for less money, but I don't think this is a rip-off at all. There's nothing in there but rock and sand, but I would be happy to take some pics if you wish. Let me know.

a novice
06/20/2002, 06:23 AM
Actually, I would like to see a picture if you have one.
What lighting did the tank come with? I would hate to pay premium price for the tank and then have to change the lighting. I guess that if the standard is fairly pathetic, then you have to do what you have to do. Did the retro lights fit in the existing hood? Thanks!

erik1202
06/20/2002, 06:54 AM
I will post some pics as soon as I can. The lighting is a very nice fixture, but it is only 27W PC. The reason it didn't bother me to change it out was because I needed a 2nd small light for my refugium at home and the 27W was exactly what I was looking for. So it all kind of worked out. And yes, the 2 X 32W PC retro fits perfectly under the hood. I just bent the reflector in a little to make it stand up straight.

kennerd
06/20/2002, 10:13 AM
I have a 7 gal cube from US Aquariums, and bought it for the same "minimalist" reason: clean look. Honestly, the skimmer was great in the beginning when it was cycling: took a surprising amount of gunk out of the water for such a dinky skimmer. Now, it doesn't do very much in the removal game, but I left it in there for aeration.

Mine is currently running only a 27w CSL quad PC, 6700k, but I have a 2x13 PC retro for actinics that I will one day get to install.

Although there is nothing in the tank, remember that you'll still have a bunch of equipment lying around OUTSIDE of the tank:

Air pump for the skimmer with power cord & airline
Cords for the heater & powerhead
Ballast and cords if you are running upgraded lighting
Timers for the lights
Powerstrip

Just a note...

erik1202
06/20/2002, 05:18 PM
I took 3 pics today and they aren't great because I was at my desk for a total of about 15 minutes all day so I had to rush. I keep the tank about 3-4" off the wall to hide the equipment behind it.

erik1202
06/20/2002, 05:21 PM
I was also lucky that my desk has pre-drilled holes to get to the electrical outlets below the desk so I don't need to have timers, power strips, etc. out in the open.

erik1202
06/20/2002, 05:23 PM
last one

clowdy
06/20/2002, 10:57 PM
i really like the built in units, especially in nanos. they are so small that the hang on filter units can take away from the asthetics. just make sure you take out the bio media that usually comes with these units. major nitrate factory!